Build checklist

Associate
Hi - I'm building only my second system ever and actually my first build in 15 years. I put together a list of things I need to do so I don't get overwhelmed when all the bits arrive. I'm NEVER this organised but I may be without a computer before the build happens so Googling for info will be on my phone and I thought I'd do some planning for once.

Am I missing anything and is anything in the wrong order?

Prep
  • Prep Win 11 install, memtest64 and BIOS update USB keys

Build
  • Remove case panels and install correct standoffs and i/o plate
  • Prep motherboard
    • Install CPU and cooler, connect cooler power cable
    • Install mem in to slots A2 and B2 (confirm position with FIRST label on motherboard)
    • Install NVME drive
  • Install motherboard
  • Connect motherboard to front panel header and case ARGB controller
  • Connect fans to ARGB controller or motherboard - need to find out where to connect fans
  • Install PSU and connect to motherboard ATX and CPU connectors
  • Install 5700 XT GPU
    • Remove two slot covers
    • Connect to PSU with 2 PCI-E cables (clip will be on top)
  • Insert BIOS update USB key, reboot on and enter BIOS settings
    • Set boot sequence to be USB first then NVME second
    • Turn off auto-optimisation settings for stability during Windows install
    • Update BIOS by selecting m-flash

OS
  • Install Windows via USB drive (pull drive on reboot when screen goes black after file copy)
  • Windows update
  • Install AMD graphics driver amd.com/en/support
  • Set refresh rate via driver settings in control panel or Windows display settings
  • Install motherboard software and set up
  • Reboot and enter BIOS menu
    • Turn on Expo and reboot in to BIOS menu to check POST and train RAM
    • Check RAM is running at 3600
    • Turn on BIOS optimisation settings

Peripherals
  • Connect Magic keyboard and install Razer mouse software
  • Plug in Steelseries USB headphone receiver and connect them up
  • Connect bluetooth soundbar

Testing
  • Run realbench for 16 hours
  • memtest if not done pre Windows install

Soldato
slightly different than the way i do it but either way is fine.

i install the mobo and then add the ram, cpu and cooler, then install the PSU, install the two main mobo cables ( cpu and main power cable )

i leave all the fiddly little case wires and fan connections until last so that they are never in my way and i never need to risk snagging them when doing some other job

Man of Honour
Prep motherboard
  • Install CPU and cooler, connect cooler power cable
  • Install mem in to slots A2 and B2 (confirm position with FIRST label on motherboard)
  • Install NVME drive
Depending on the size of your CPU cooler, it might be difficult to install the memory and M.2 after the cooler.

Install 5700 XT GPU
  • Remove two slot covers
  • Connect to PSU with 2 PCI-E cables (clip will be on top)
Some cases slot covers aren't easy to remove (e.g. if they are fixed), so it can be safer to remove them before everything is installed in the case, or put a piece of cardboard over the board to protect it.

OS
  • Install Windows via USB drive (pull drive on reboot when screen goes black after file copy)
  • Windows update
  • Install AMD graphics driver amd.com/en/support
  • Set refresh rate via driver settings in control panel or Windows display settings
  • Install motherboard software and set up
If you're connected to the Internet immediately after the install Windows will try to install the graphics driver and other drivers, so I prefer not to be connected and download them myself, though I know Windows 11 is a pain to do an offline install.

Associate
OP
If you're connected to the Internet immediately after the install Windows will try to install the graphics driver and other drivers, so I prefer not to be connected and download them myself, though I know Windows 11 is a pain to do an offline install.
Thanks for the tip on the slot covers. I’ll remove those before installing the motherboard.

I’m not clued up enough to do workarounds to bypass any hassle caused by doing an offline install. What’s the best thing to do if I’m installing online?

Man of Honour
What’s the best thing to do if I’m installing online?
I'm not sure, because Windows installs the drivers as one of the first things it does. You could do the group policy edit to disable downloading drivers from Windows updates, but I think it'll be too slow.

Thanks for the tip on the slot covers. I’ll remove those before installing the motherboard.
If they're not re-usable, make sure you remove the right ones :D

Commissario
If you have the case and PSU on hand before the rest I'd be tempted to fit and do basic cable routing for that.

But that's largely because I'm planning on doing that for my build so I can get all the cabling for the drives etc in nicely, and know i'm not going to have any surprises with cable lengths etc., otherwise Tetras' advice is about the only thing i'd change in the sequence.

Back
Top Bottom