[Build Log] Project Frostworks (Phanteks Enthoo Primo)

Associate
Hi ladies & gentlemen,

I am taking my first steps into the realm of water cooling which has been prompted after seeing the vast amount of b-e-a-utiful machines on here. I am jumping in at the deep end and using acrylic tubing which I really hope I can master as I have seen many posts of people finding it difficult going through over 10ft of tubing... I have been buying parts since December and have pretty much got everything I need now (After many returns of faulty goods and being messed about by retailers...) so lets take a look :D

PC Components:

CPU: i5 3570K
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
GPU: EVGA GTX 660 FTW SLI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile (2x4GB)
HDD: Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate Barracuda (3x2TB)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

P.S All the PC Components I have used for nearly a year and due to financial constraints I could not upgrade.

Water Cooling Components:

CPU Block: EK-Supremacy - Acetal
GPU Blocks: EK-VGA Supremacy - Acetal
Pump: Alphacool VPP655
Radiators: Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 420, Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 280
Reservoir: Alphacool Cape Fuzion Core 30
Tubing: EK-HD Tube 12/16mm
Fittings: EK-HD Adapter - Black
Fans: Phanteks PH-F140SP
Coolant: Mayhems Pastel UV White, Mayhems Blue Dye

Miscellaneous:

Lighting: Phobya LED-Flexlight LowDensity (2xUV, 3xWhite)
Cables: Bitfenix Alchemy SATA (5xWhite), Gelid Solutions 24pin, 8pin, 6pin

Possible Loop Configurations:
1:

2:

Gallery:

Parts:
What i had when i started the build:

2 dusty looking GPUs:

Mayhems Pastel White and Blue dye.

M3 Dome Acorn Nut:

GPU bridge:

Kobra spraypaint:

New delivery of tubing:

Some XSPC compression fittings along side an EK-HD 12/16mm for the GPU bridge:

Spray Paint & Vinyl:
Carbon Fibre vinyl:

Front grill sprayed white, i like the contrast:

Cable Stitching:

First ever attempt at cable stitching using my own method:

Acrylic Tubing:
First attempt at pipe bending:

At the time of taking these photos i had ran out of my 2 metres of tubing and was awaiting another 3 metres. I was not very happy with the outcome as the bends were not as tidy as i would have liked, therefore i have decided to re-create each piece when the new tubing arrives:

Bending equipment:

New piece using new tubing and the new Nitrile O-Ring cord (Unlike the blue silicone tube shown in the previous photos)

GPU Backplate (Not yet fitted):

GPU bridge combing my 2 universal blocks (Previously i decided to join them together using acrylic tubing but this proved difficult and messy so i decided to go down this route):

Last edited:
Associate
OP
UPDATE: As you can see from the photos i have already done a fair amount of work on this but due to time constraints i have not been able to create this thread any sooner, any progress in the future will be posted here as and when i can. Please feel free to ask any questions and i will ask them as best as i can.

Associate
Hi ladies & gentlemen,

I am taking my first steps into the realm of water cooling which has been prompted after seeing the vast amount of b-e-a-utiful machines on here. I am jumping in at the deep end and using acrylic tubing which I really hope I can master as I have seen many posts of people finding it difficult going through over 10ft of tubing... I have been buying parts since December and have pretty much got everything I need now (After many returns of faulty goods and being messed about by retailers...) so lets take a look :D

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1937211/width/500/height/1000[IMG]

[SIZE=4][B]PC Components:[/B][/SIZE]

[B]CPU:[/B] i5 3570K
[B]Motherboard:[/B] MSI Z77A-GD65
[B]GPU:[/B] EVGA GTX 660 FTW SLI
[B]RAM:[/B] Corsair Vengeance Low Profile (2x4GB)
[B]HDD:[/B] Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate Barracuda (3x2TB)
[B]Case:[/B] Phanteks Enthoo Primo
[B]PSU:[/B] OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

P.S All the PC Components I have used for nearly a year and due to financial constraints I could not upgrade.

[SIZE=4][B]Water Cooling Components:[/B][/SIZE]

[B]CPU Block:[/B] EK-Supremacy - Acetal
[B]GPU Blocks:[/B] EK-VGA Supremacy - Acetal
[B]Pump:[/B] Alphacool VPP655
[B]Radiators:[/B] Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 420, Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 280
[B]Reservoir:[/B] Alphacool Cape Fuzion Core 30
[B]Tubing:[/B] EK-HD Tube 12/16mm
[B]Fittings:[/B] EK-HD Adapter - Black
[B]Fans:[/B] Phanteks PH-F140SP
[B]Coolant:[/B] Mayhems Pastel UV White, Mayhems Blue Dye

[SIZE=4][B]Miscellaneous:[/B][/SIZE]

[B]Lighting:[/B] Phobya LED-Flexlight LowDensity (2xUV, 3xWhite)
[B]Cables:[/B] Bitfenix Alchemy SATA (5xWhite), Gelid Solutions 24pin, 8pin, 6pin

Possible Loop Configurations:
1:
[IMG]http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1937119/width/500/height/1000[IMG]

2:
[IMG]http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1937136/width/500/height/1000[IMG]

[COLOR="Yellow"]No image quoting as per the rules. Thank you.[/COLOR]

[/QUOTE]

Looks like its going to be great, how hard did you find bending the tubing was it incredibly fustrating i might venture into acrylic when i do mine to would you advise doing it i think it looks awesome and can't wait to see what your build turns out to be like!

Associate
OP
Looks like its going to be great, how hard did you find bending the tubing was it incredibly fustrating i might venture into acrylic when i do mine to would you advise doing it i think it looks awesome and can't wait to see what your build turns out to be like!

It's easy to make a functioning loop however it's hard to make a loop that looks pretty. Acrylic tubing is a bit like a paper clip, once bent it's near impossible to make it perfectly straight again so basically measure twice and bend once. I initially bought 2 metres of tubing and ran out with only a few sections left. My second lot of tubing was unbranded but was under a quarter of the price and bends just as well.

Ultimately I would recommend it if that's what you want but expect to make mistakes.

Last edited:
Associate
I actually quite enjoyed working with Acrylic tubing, admittedly I did waste a lot of tube as I was pretty much eye-balling the bending & cutting (and being rather indecisive about tube routing etc..). In total I think I ended up using nearly 5 meters of tubing, but it does look good & you can pull off bends that normal hoses just cannot do (without kinking)

That 12/16mm tubing looks massive (I used 10/12mm).. Look forward to seeing the completed article :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I will be uploading a short guide on how to do this as I used my own method after finding other fairly complicated.

As you can see you need to pick a side that's going to be visible and a side that's not as there will be a knot on one side:

Associate
OP
I actually quite enjoyed working with Acrylic tubing, admittedly I did waste a lot of tube as I was pretty much eye-balling the bending & cutting (and being rather indecisive about tube routing etc..). In total I think I ended up using nearly 5 meters of tubing, but it does look good & you can pull off bends that normal hoses just cannot do (without kinking)

That 12/16mm tubing looks massive (I used 10/12mm).. Look forward to seeing the completed article :)

Yes, I have to say I am the same. I have changed the layout a few times already which I have not pictured so think I may go through a similar amount.

The 12/16mm tubing is extremely stiff so there is very little room for error (I cannot comment on the 10/12mm stuff as I have never used it) and also its difficult to maintain a good look when 2 bends are close together.

Associate
One little trick I found to get a nice tight bend was to use a diffuser (I think that's what it's called) on the heat gun & heat the tube along it's axis. Allows me to heat the tube quite evenly and get a very tight bend without it looking kinked (example below - excuse the mess in the background)

0f98a4f5-96a0-447d-933d-aa1559ffa545.jpg

Getting multiple bends is quite tricky, can only really do it by having a good think before you heat the tube, but when done it's very satisfying

This is my attempt (am going to be changing the coolant colour & fans & wiring in the near future) - all that was guestimated so can be done much better:

IMG_20140324_192642.jpg

Associate
OP
One little trick I found to get a nice tight bend was to use a diffuser (I think that's what it's called) on the heat gun & heat the tube along it's axis. Allows me to heat the tube quite evenly and get a very tight bend without it looking kinked (example below - excuse the mess in the background)

Getting multiple bends is quite tricky, can only really do it by having a good think before you heat the tube, but when done it's very satisfying

This is my attempt (am going to be changing the coolant colour & fans & wiring in the near future) - all that was guestimated so can be done much better:

I have an attachment like that for mine, I will give it a try. What I also do is take the o-rings out of the fitting so after heating the tube and bending it to where I think it should be, I quickly put it into the fittings where it's going and make fine adjustments as it's cooling. Removing the o-rings just make putting the fittings on easier (obviously I will put them back In once finished)

Associate
What I also do is take the o-rings out of the fitting so after heating the tube and bending it to where I think it should be, I quickly put it into the fittings where it's going and make fine adjustments as it's cooling. Removing the o-rings just make putting the fittings on easier (obviously I will put them back In once finished)

I just chamfered the tube & used a little bit of Silicon based lubricant (same stuff I use when I rebuild my motorbike brake calipers). Just apply a bit to your finger and rub it around the o-rings, can just pop the tube in to the fitting really easily then.

Associate
OP
UPDATE:

So i a further update to this update, i have cracked one of the acrylic backplates so have ordered another sheet. I am also thinking of having more fixing points as 4 looks boring.

More tubing and fittings as i have given up and decided to use normal tubing to link up the pump as its in a awkward spot and its extremely difficult to bend acrylic tubing to fit.

More paint work. I am going to brush the fitting back down to the bare metal and redo them as the finish is not as good as i would like.

Trying to work out where to put the LED's, i have 3 white and 2 UV however i am going to put up the UV ones at a later date and think i may only use 2 strips of white LED's as 3 may be to overpowering. Where do you guys think i should place them?

So i was flushing the system (Tap water through one end and down the drain at the other) and had a leak at the bottom of the res, i thought i had not tightened the fittings enough so tightened them however the leak re-appeared. Turns out the leak was coming from the little plastic rods which are intended to be used with LEDs for a nice lighting effect so i tightened these just finger tight at first but the leak came back so i then tightened them with pliers but nothing changed so what i have done is simply swap the ends of the res so the plastic rods are at the top rather than the bottom.

Associate
OP
UPDATE:

Since the fans that came with the case did not come with rubber anti-vibration pads i decided to make some out of an old bike inner-tube.

Tubing nearly all done, just one more piece.

All filled up with destilled water.

Blue dye.

I will run it like this for a few days and then flush it and replace it with Mayhems pastel white as well and complete the GPU back-plates and finish the lighting.

Back
Top Bottom