BUILD LOG: Quarantine Rig

Associate
So in light of the current situation (and by no means to make fun of it), I've decided to build a new rig to keep me preoccupied and to work from (I'm a graphic designer/motion designer). Main purposes are design obviously as well as 4K gaming (might change to a 2K monitor to push out more FPS).

AMD Ryzen 9 3950x
Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
Gigabyte Windforce OC RTX 2080 Super
Gigabyte AORUS X570 Elite ATX Motherboard
Seasonic Focus GX750w PSU with white cable extensions
NZXT H510i in Black
NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO
NZXT Aer 2 RGB 120mm & 140mm Case Fans
1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 Drive (enough space for now)

***Please read the forum rules, no competitor linking or discussion***

Anything you would have done differently? Ideally I was after the NZXT H1 and to do a mITX build but theres no stock anywhere yet so went for a compact mid build with full ATX instead.

**EDITED POST BUILD**

Heres the final build, with garish retro RGB because why not.

lvDTEcF.jpg

3DqQnJS.jpg

o7M3qYs.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
For the price of a Samsung evo you could get a faster pcie gen 4 SSD or you could get a slightly slower gen 3 drive for half the price.

Associate
For the price of a Samsung evo you could get a faster pcie gen 4 SSD or you could get a slightly slower gen 3 drive for half the price.
Could you give some examples please? I'm looking at the 970 EVO for my next build too, but i'm just going off SSD buying guide I found. But I won't be getting a PCI-E Gen 4 Mobo. The 970 EVO is a nice MLC SSD though is it not?
The new model to this is now the H210/210i.
Ah my bad! I can't really keep up with the NZXT models, have they just made slight improvements to the case?

Soldato
Could you give some examples please? I'm looking at the 970 EVO for my next build too, but i'm just going off SSD buying guide I found. But I won't be getting a PCI-E Gen 4 Mobo. The 970 EVO is a nice MLC SSD though is it not?

Ah my bad! I can't really keep up with the NZXT models, have they just made slight improvements to the case?

check out some of the Corsair and Sabrent rocket NVME drives.
No worries, it’s a minor refresh of the 200, the chassis are the same. Namely some PSU shroud tweak, CAM 2 and USB type C port on the chassis.

Associate
OP
check out some of the Corsair and Sabrent rocket NVME drives.
No worries, it’s a minor refresh of the 200, the chassis are the same. Namely some PSU shroud tweak, CAM 2 and USB type C port on the chassis.

From experience with this build, I'd not rely on having that USB-C port on the front panel as the header jack on the motherboard is directly behind the graphics card and as such can't be plugged in. Also this Gigabyte 2080 Super sits FLUSH (and I mean flush) with the chipset heatsink/fan. Just something to think about.

Associate
OP
Thanks! Does that mean you've finished your build then??
Yeah all done. Just finalising overclock now. It’s stable at 4.3GHz at 69 degrees full load so happy with that. Corsair memory isn’t the best for OC I’ve noticed though. Can’t squeeze out any more stable frequency, just timings, down to CL14 currently

Associate
Yeah all done. Just finalising overclock now. It’s stable at 4.3GHz at 69 degrees full load so happy with that. Corsair memory isn’t the best for OC I’ve noticed though. Can’t squeeze out any more stable frequency, just timings, down to CL14 currently
Nice! What were the timings on the RAM initially? Are you able to validate what die the corsair stuff is using?

Hopefully we can see a picture of the finished article as well please :)

Man of Honour
How are you finding it / general impressions? What's the upgrade like?

Associate
OP
It’s QUICK. Can’t say much to productivity yet (I’m a graphic designer) as I haven’t used it professionally yet but I’ll report back when I have. Gaming is great reaching easily over 60 FPS in all major titles at 4K. RTX off obviously because why...

Will give a full edit on original post with photos and some build shots at 2am last Thursday...

Quarantine life

Back
Top Bottom