Build refresh and downsize

Associate
Hello!

I'm looking at refreshing my current build with a switch to Ryzen and an opportunity to get something in a smaller case (i'm currently using a Fractal Define S which is a total beast and not conducive to a tidy desk space!)

This is my current build:

i5 6600K
16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz (2x8GB)
Gigabyte GA-Z170 Sniper
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP Extreme Spectra RGB
Super Flower Gold 550W PSU

I'd also like a nice new SSD/M.2 drive to run the OS and selected games from. I have 4TB worth of mechanical drive storage to deal with the rest so don't need that.

I'm guessing I shouldn't really be upgrading the 1070? Unless there's a card out there that really makes it worthwhile?

Also been interested in dabbling with RGB stuff so fans etc to make it look arbitrarily nice to look at.

Budget wise, 700-800? Depends what I can get and if I need to get a new GPU.

Anyway, I trust in OCUK...

Associate
OP
thanks for that! i think i'd change it up with the case. i do like the clean look of the fractal but it'd be nice to do something entirely different.

i think that's a good shout re: the 1070. i guess it's still not a bad card is it?

is it worth stretching the extra money for the 3700x? i know a lot of people have been talking up the 3600. i do like to dabble in overclocking but it's not at all a dealbreaker if i can save myself some cash!

Associate
OP
cheers for that. just noticed the motherboard is out of stock annoyingly!

yeah, i think i'm looking for a balance of "worth it" and "not spending a tonne getting it", which is always annoying.

i think the compromise is the 3600 with blingy ram and a nice mobo and then other stuff can get upgraded in the future. as long as you think the 3600 etc is a good enough of an upgrade from the CPU i have now? don't want to be spending money for the sake of it.

Associate
OP
so the upgrade is mainly me getting itchy fingers again for building and getting new shiny things.

the form factor/size is something i've been keen to sort as i've always been interested in doing a smaller build.

the 6600k is clocked to 4.2 currently, but on air and in a really really cramped space where the airflow is horrific.

it's a combo of the above, annoyingly. and obviously. i think instant gratification probably comes top, but i know i want the best my money can get really.

Associate
OP
yeah that's possibly the route forward then!

is it worth waiting for the 5700XT AIB or will it be much of a muchness, assuming i do change to ryzen eventually?

and is there a particular 2070 SUPER card i need to be looking at above the others? :)

thanks for your time.

Associate
OP
do standard sized psus fit into small cases or is there a psu in particular that i'll need to look at?

think i've decided to upgrade all but GPU and then i'll drop a 5700XT AIB later on down the line. i'll sell on most of my stuff so it shouldn't hurt too much.

Associate
OP
ah, great! thanks for the advice.

i've come up with this so far:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £531.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

do i get that cheaper RAM or is this not a bad shout:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...md-ryzen-tuned-ddr4-memory-kit-my-4c1-cs.html

although i feel like the timings are slower on the corsair.

would just need a case and PSU then. what wattage would i be looking at?

was looking at the NZXT cases with AIO cooler bundled. is it worth the extra money or not?

Associate
OP
Will your new case have a window (just seen that it might but will leave answer unedited) - do you want RGB (i don't get the feeling you'll be clocking/tweaking) - if not then you can save ~£40 with the below set; same timings/speed:

Total: £89.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

yes i'd like it to have a window as this is the first build where i'd just like it to "look nice". i've been self building for years and have never cared enough on aesthetics. the rgb corsair i linked was 3600 rather than 3200. i could clock if needs be. always keen to try out new things!

PSU - depends on GPU, but would recommend a quality 650W, purely for connections and future upgrades.

it'll have my current 1070 in and then a 5700X down the road.

Do you want RGB, AIO - or were you considering air?

probably looking at RGB because of the above, but have never dabbled in AIO, only air. in fact, i know nothing about it! only that it looks tidier haha.

Yes, if buying x570 chipset - you could wait for B550 offerings, but no reliable release date.

Or, this board - but you would need it flashed to make it ZEN 2 compatible or borrow a 1000/2000 CPU. You'll lose is PCIe 4 - no loss:

Total: £139.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

have just noticed @orbitalwalsh 's suggestion. how easy is it to get gigabyte to flash it? and am i losing too much between the £230 board and that one?

Associate
OP
True - are you going the subtle RGB route @Lovejoy!

If not you can get AIOs with RGB fans - which would cover the intake, but would need an RGB outtake to complement the overall unic look if desired.

yes, not massively overblown, just something that's customisable and looks neat and tidy. what am i looking at to cover what you said?

No worries - you may find this of interest (note it's the i version):

thanks for that video! looks nice.

thing i've noticed is that with the nzxt case i'd sttruggle to get my 1070 in with a front rad as it's 325mm which is the max room the case offers for GPU. bummer.

Associate
OP
yeah, something like that. there's a few RGB builds in the cases show off thread on here that have piqued my interest recently.

it does seem like i'd be a bit silly to buy a bigger case for a card that i'm looking to replace with an assumedly smaller one that would fit in the smaller case. possibly need to wait? try to quell the excitement.

Back
Top Bottom