Build refresh and downsize

Soldato
Is he not building himself? (i meant system as complete spec for self-build :p)

Or are you confusing me again :D

i am indeed self building :D

yeah, have to self flash. hopefully @GIGA-Man can drop some info on flashing . Cant remember the email he gave out for sending flashing inquiries too =/

@Plec think might take a note from @tamzzy with rvz03 but squeeze in the ATX board!

Soldato
*sorry rushed
yes i'd like it to have a window as this is the first build where i'd just like it to "look nice". i've been self building for years and have never cared enough on aesthetics. the rgb corsair i linked was 3600 rather than 3200. i could clock if needs be. always keen to try out new things!
Hadn't clocked the 3600MHz set - marginal gains to be had with 3600MHz compared to 3200MHz (although some odd results with BFV) but tighter timings do have an impact - but only if significantly better (again early days testing). *I think the Hyper X set is B-Die (certainly was) - so could certainly have a play (i would confirm). But, no harm in 3600MHz kit if budget allows and could bump up ~0.5V and you may get tighter timings...

@orbitalwalsh may have some links/tables to hand to help you and with the above. But if you decide against RGB i would recommend the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT - E-Die memory and the 3200MHz kits clock well/tight timings (be sure that is has AES in the product code).

it'll have my current 1070 in and then a 5700X down the road.
Yeah, the AIB cards should be worth the wait and bang for buck.

probably looking at RGB because of the above, but have never dabbled in AIO, only air. in fact, i know nothing about it! only that it looks tidier haha.
You're in luck @orbitalwalsh is an RGB AIO aficionado - i'm quality air bias (less points of failure - same results).

That said the AIO is a real benefit in smaller builds and can allow premium cooling where an air cooler may not be able to fit. Plus, you get an added aesthetic that can add to the overall look if exploring RGB.

how easy is it to get gigabyte to flash it? and am i losing too much between the £230 board and that one?
Flash shouldn't be an issue (one way or another) - and you're not losing anything of benefit - even when buying a PCIe 4 card (5700XT). The PCIe 3 slot isn't yet saturated - and NVMe 4 drives will be insanely priced for a considerable time to come.

Soldato
Depends on your style, some like AIO units others it. Good air-cooler for ryzen is about £30-60 .

Nzxt h210 is out soon I believe . Includes USB 3.1 C port ... Finally !

Soldato
Cant comment, @Plec knows why lol.

Think you can only get the i version of it though
I've seen the H210 for ~£80 and OcUK don't stock it - plus OP mentioned it first, so your safe :D

i seem to be able to get that case from a competitor?
Same radiator constraints 240mm - but gives you a large choice.

Or you can go cheaper and similar performance with the Mugen 5

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £49.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
True - are you going the subtle RGB route @Lovejoy!

If not you can get AIOs with RGB fans - which would cover the intake, but would need an RGB outtake to complement the overall unic look if desired.

yes, not massively overblown, just something that's customisable and looks neat and tidy. what am i looking at to cover what you said?

No worries - you may find this of interest (note it's the i version):

thanks for that video! looks nice.

thing i've noticed is that with the nzxt case i'd sttruggle to get my 1070 in with a front rad as it's 325mm which is the max room the case offers for GPU. bummer.

Soldato
yes, not massively overblown, just something that's customisable and looks neat and tidy. what am i looking at to cover what you said?
In which case if your preference is AIO, then, personally, I would use something like the Kraken X52, where only the pump lights up (no fan RGB), and match the colours with your memory and Zotac GPU.

I would then buy RGB strip/s that are hidden and subtly light the inner working of the case - making a complementary/matching glow and creating interesting shadows/accents (i'll try and find some pics - but i'm not RGB expert, but i know what i prefer if given a choice.)

This can create a subtle, 'relatively' classy look that doesn't look like a baby unicorn projectile vomited all over your components. I'll try and source some example pics, later, showing what i mean - but hopefully you get the gist.

Below is not the best example as it has a custom loop (forum member's recent build) - but it's only the core components that are lit/accentuated and there is a subtle use of RGB strips that are hidden adding extra depth. The fans aren't lit - which i like - but you could get an RGB rear extractor fan if you wanted to add a bit more emphasis.

1i9slX8l.png.jpg

thing i've noticed is that with the nzxt case i'd sttruggle to get my 1070 in with a front rad as it's 325mm which is the max room the case offers for GPU. bummer.
Yes, you only have ~275mm to play with once a rad is installed. Your Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP Extreme Spectra RGB at 325mm is a problem. :/ (May have to consider air with this case).

*As an aside the MSI Mortar MAX (M-ATX board) - will be released late August - if that is a size consideration. Zen 2 compatible straight out of the box.

Plus, the H400 Micro-ATX case should take your card - Clicky

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yeah, something like that. there's a few RGB builds in the cases show off thread on here that have piqued my interest recently.

it does seem like i'd be a bit silly to buy a bigger case for a card that i'm looking to replace with an assumedly smaller one that would fit in the smaller case. possibly need to wait? try to quell the excitement.

Soldato
This is my current build:

i5 6600K
16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz (2x8GB)
Gigabyte GA-Z170 Sniper
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP Extreme Spectra RGB
Super Flower Gold 550W PSU

got a 1440p monitor at 144hz. would like to achieve close to that but undertstand that ain't thatttt easy

possibly need to wait? try to quell the excitement.
From your opening spec it wouldn't be a hardship.

You could upgrade the GPU now, the 2070 SUPER, or wait few weeks for the 5700XT AIBs (better bang for buck) - obviously keeping card length in mind if set on that case. This would give you immediate gratification @ 1440p 144Hz gaming and will still be very current when you upgrade your CPU/MB - assuming you upgrade when the B550's are released and you may also benefit from CPU price drops. Or you may find the GPU upgrade is sufficient, in which case wait for Zen 3 offerings...

Man of Honour
@Plec

Shipping Method: FREE DPD Next Day (Mon-Fri)
----------------------------------------------------------
Goods Ordered (prices in GBP)
£66.66 x 1 - Silverstone Raven RVZ03B Mini-ITX HTPC Case - Black (SST-RVZ03B)
£6.66 x 1 - Arctic MX-4 2019 Edition Thermal Compound (8g)

Sub-Total: 73.32
Shipping: 0
VAT: 14.66
Total: 87.98

Soldato
@Plec

Shipping Method: FREE DPD Next Day (Mon-Fri)
----------------------------------------------------------
Goods Ordered (prices in GBP)
£66.66 x 1 - Silverstone Raven RVZ03B Mini-ITX HTPC Case - Black (SST-RVZ03B)
£6.66 x 1 - Arctic MX-4 2019 Edition Thermal Compound (8g)

Sub-Total: 73.32
Shipping: 0
VAT: 14.66
Total: 87.98

Oh no, i am fully innocent in this one - this was a self-fulfilling prophecy :p:

Admittedly, i'm pleased as i want an: honest, unfiltered build blog. There has to be some entertainment in this M-ITX case :D

Can you build as soon as you take receipt?

Man of Honour
Can you build as soon as you take receipt?
No. Not quite yet...awaiting receipt of second m.2 SSD and just need to take dimensions of cooler height to see which will fit best with a full size 25mm thick fan. But hopefully next week.
The cryorig c1 will fit with a 25mm fan, but just need to make sure that the mobo placement means that the vent hole on the side cover matches up with the cooler.
Fitting = use 25mm fan
Not fitting = use stock fan or try another cooler.
(I really really wanna use a 25mm fan as it helps with temps)

Back
Top Bottom