Building a concrete lip

Soldato
We have an outhouse at the moment which is used for storing various bits of crap as you can see in the pics below.

The issue is that for the door to open it needs to be very short as the yard slopes up slightly away from the outhouse. This causes problems as water runs in. I'd like to make it more waterproof so that i can moved the junk into the shed and store my tools in here.

The obvious solution seems to be some kind of lip/step just inside the doorway to stop water getting in.

To do this is it just a case of a length of wood on the inside, one on the outside, hold together with some g-clamps and then pour concrete into the channel?

I suppose my worry is do i need to "key" do anything to the existing concrete floor to help it join so that water doesn't get in between and start to erode it.

Excuse the very crude fix on the door, the previous owners had a hole in for the cat to get in.

vrT5s2y.jpg

XBMxalo.jpg

Alternatively any better suggestions?

Soldato
I think i would be inclined to drill the floor and place some threaded bar or rebar in to ensure the concrete lip stayed attached in the long term, otherwise I think I'd do the same as you've suggested.

You could just use some tanalised wood or a metal angle and some suitable sealant, then screw it down. Perhaps less permanent but would probably do the job with less hassle.

Associate
I would either use a chunk of treated wood as a quick fix. I can't see from the picture, but what is to the left? Can the cut sections of paving infront of the gate/wall be removed to put some kind of drainage channel in? Is there anything that can be done to stop the water from getting down to the gate in the first place?

Something like this:
https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Osm...e-Channel-With-Galvanised-Grating-1m/p/947919

Dave

Soldato
I think i would be inclined to drill the floor and place some threaded bar or rebar in to ensure the concrete lip stayed attached in the long term, otherwise I think I'd do the same as you've suggested.

You could just use some tanalised wood or a metal angle and some suitable sealant, then screw it down. Perhaps less permanent but would probably do the job with less hassle.
Good advice:)

Soldato
A bit more OTT but I'd be tempted to remove some of the narrow row of slabs against the building, stick a pipe in and put one of them long grates across the front as a drain to catch the water...

Soldato
OP
Hmmm the drainage idea could be a good one as theres a drain about 50cm to the left of the door so i could channel it downwards into that.

I assume an angle grinder would be best to cut that concrete drain to length? Unless i just used plastic drainage.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Soldato
I'd just use treated timber for the door threshold. Paint it up first on all sides (optional) and then silicone it down to the stone cill and put a few screws down to hold it in place. Then seal the outside edge as well as the door frame.

That coupled with the drain should eliminate any water getting in.

I can't tell from the pics, but you might want to splice in some timber if the bottoms of the door frame are rotten.

Soldato
OP
Just bringing this back up. I bought one of those plastic drainage channels. However i've just come to look into fitting it and the drain i planned to feed it into is a bit too high.

Heres the general layout
JXOh6BX.jpg

Closer
VU6uhAs.jpg

Drain channel *should* just about fit depth wise to flow into the drain. How do i go about getting a neat cut in the concrete though? Do i just hack away with a bolster chisel?

Also i'm aware how grim that drain is and it's all cleaned now. I usually have a bit of wood covering the hole so didn't realise how bad it was.

Soldato
OP
Well the concrete was no trouble at all. Have dug it all out nicely. And as with any job like this it presented extra issues

1 - I found some brick coming out about 6" from the wall at a depth i need clear. I can leave some but could do with chipping some of it away. Doesnt have to be too neat.
2 - The flags are uneven as balls, the one in the corner has dropped a lot so will need to level this up as otherwise to get the required slope on the drainage it sticks up about 20mm at that end.

Soldato
Well the concrete was no trouble at all. Have dug it all out nicely. And as with any job like this it presented extra issues

1 - I found some brick coming out about 6" from the wall at a depth i need clear. I can leave some but could do with chipping some of it away. Doesnt have to be too neat.

Footings?

Back
Top Bottom