Building a garage

Soldato
Hows it meant to work... The key points in my mind are as follows

Come up with a few rough designs of what we're after

Consult a builder or two, see if it's possible and the sort of prices we're talking

Get an architect involved

Planning submission

Building control involvement

Build

Is that the right sort of order?

A friend has built an awesome garage using steel RSJs to build modular cubes, then brick infil. Nice thing is the lifting beams in the roof. So this appeals, also, I could do all of the fabrication of the steels so the skeleton could go up in a day.
Issue is, seeing as ours is on the boundary and we want a pitched roof therefore it'll need PP, I'm not sure the steel cube setup would meet building regs?

Any thoughts?

Cheers guys.

Soldato
OP
I had a few hundred quid in mind for an architect tbh :D

The garage will be a 6m x 6m square with a 3m x 3m extension on the rear left, L shaped. Essentially making it 9m x 6m without a cutout at the rear right.
L Shaped hipped roof.

No windows
Attic trusses would be nice otherwise standard 30º fink trusses
Slate roof to match the house
Breeze/ facing brick double skinned.
4m Roller shutter door up front
UPVC to the rear

Soldato
OP
Thank you Thecaferacer,
Good advice,
The garage won't be connected to the house
Standalone but on the boundary, I fancied a pitch roof A for storage and B for looks but appreciate the cost will rise considerably.
Eaves around 2.5m would be fine, not sure what the ridge would be at 30º over 6m width but I'd guess no more than 4m
~45m2 total

As above, a couple of pics would be awesome :)

Soldato
OP
Edit... I'll knock something up in paint

I didn't really want a brick gable end, so a L shaped hipped roof

I guess the other option would be to have a steel spanning the front door with another steel running the length?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your replies guys,
@sdavlaws the model to the left would likely work ok, the one to the right with the large gables would be a bit intrusive both in our garden and in the neighbours IMO
Using SketchFab, is there a way I can use your file and modify it?

@Hamzter looks decent, got a pic form the outside, £27k though! Ooft, did you sub everything out then I assume?

Back
Top Bottom