Building a Log Cabin

Hows it handling this cold weather we are getting? Are the thick boards providing enough insulation on their own?

Sorta is the long and the short of that. It does not get quite as cold as outside, but it does get cold. That said stick the oil heater on for a 20 mins and it keeps warm all day.

whos-awesome-dog.jpg

Just brilliant :D

YAY! I finally got round to sorting out the images links. A few are missing but here's a selection that were not originally included:

This is what I started with:

Here's the demolition in full flow:

I burnt it bit by bit, late into the night:

What was left:

Whilst excavating I distributed the spoil around the garden to level it all out:

A diggin' in me digger:

So its been 2 years. Any problems?

Well the spiders are not too bad - but the daddy loglegs are a nightmare! Loads of the gits.

Its pretty well insulated overall, keeps cool and keeps heat in when its needed. But it gets HOT after about 3pm in summer and keeps hot even after its cooled outside if you don't have a fan and all the windows and doors open. Also its very cold in the winter mornings before firing up the heaters - then its cosy all day/night.

Had a few slightly warped or distorted logs - nothing too serious. The door hanging is a bit more of an issue as the weather warms and cools - doors stick or hang loose depending on weather and need constant adjustment (grrr).

Other than that still pretty pleased with it, although it will need another coat of paint by next year...

Last edited:
Yeah tell me about it, the boy is growing so quickly, where has the time gone? The "Shed" is still looking fantastic though :) (actually I can answer that - in a blurr of sleepless nights, work and mayhem, interspaced by coverings of poo and spag bol).

Recommend doing it if you have the real estate. Well worth the money.

waste disposal uphill

Hi,

Have recently had a log cabin built...very pleased, but I need to sort out how to pump macerated waste uphill ( 2 meters ) into the main drainage.
What is the best way?
It is important to understand that I need to pump it up a gentle slope and I understand that a saniflow loo will not do this. ( apparently they can lift it the distance but it has to be vertical and then downhill to a sewer?), which is no good.
Have seen pumping stations for less than £1000. Will they do the job?

DW

Hi Lt Red,

Thread revival but I just wondered how the Cabin was doing ? I'm about to purchase myself and Keops are high on my shortlist. Great build BTW.

I came across this thread just over a year ago after hearing a log cabin advert on the radio and google searching.

I had a look at several companies and Keops were really helpful. The reason I went with Keops was the fact they built on a concrete base and you could make it totally bespoke. The rival company did not lay the cabin onto a concrete base, so I had concerns over the pressure treated bearers lasting over time.

I've put a home cinema in and a couple of sofa beds, so it is really fun for the kids to have a sleep over. It has tri-fold doors that open the whole front out in summer, which really is nice.

Anyone reading this thread I can whole heartedly recommend Keops.

I used 1 x coat of Sadolin wood preserver and 2 x coats of Sadolin Superdec paint, so not quite as painful as OP which was a total of 5 coats.

Mine is 3.3m wide x 6m

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x18/Timbo39/Cabin/IMG_1880_zpsdoqbawi3.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x18/Timbo39/Cabin/IMG_1386_zpssiwhvzck.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really good. How thick are your walls/what configuration are they and do you get much noise outside the building when movies are going at full pelt?

Hi Danza, I chose the 56mm logs. Planning permission didn't allow me to have any side windows, since I'm about 1m from the boundary. I've got a velux and a small rear window, which is behind the screen and I can pop the screen on lower brackets when I want the light from that. Because of the doors and vellux there is more than enough light.

Very nice Timbo21, I bet your kids are loving it. What is the soundproofing like on these log cabins? Can you hear the sound system a lot outside?

Hi Mark, In terms of soundproofing it's difficult to quantify. I have an SVS subwoofer, which is the black bin-like cylinder to the right, so it chucks out loud very low bass. The sound system used to be in the house and I would say it would be similar to the house if you were to stand in the garden. Of course the benefits are that it's detached and about 12m away from the neighbours, and so when the sub hits you aren't getting it transmitted through the walls, etc.

When the kids watch something in there I can't hear it at all from inside the house. I think thick wood is meant to be pretty good at absorbing sound, plus the roof and floor are insulated; plus the doors, etc, are double glazed.

Back
Top Bottom