Building A Pc For A Friend.

Associate
Hey,

My friend has asked me to build a pc for him, and as he knows pretty much nothing about computers at the moment, has given me free rein to do what I want. He first asked me back in June or something like that so I've been doing a fair bit of looking around.

He will be using the computer for mostly gaming, college work and music and stuff. I think he's doing IT so will probably start learning more about computers. I wand to build him a fairly decent rig so he won't need to upgrade for a while, but also keep the cost down a bit.
Anyway, enough of the story and more of the computer......

I'm thinking:

MB- Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
CPU- i5 3570K Ivy Bridge - Retail
HDD- 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001
DVD Drive- Plextor PX-891SA Lightscribe (or something like that)
Case- Zalman Z9-U3
GFX- 2GB MSI Radeon HD 7850 Twin Frozr III OC

The next bits I'm not as sure on....

Monitor- Something 22" around the £100 price
PSU- Something around 500w? Would like modular, was looking at a Cooler Master Silent Pro M500 because I have Cooler Master myself, but there seems to have been a jump in prices? Or is that just me?
RAM- Really not too sure on this either, 8GB of something, does it really make much of a difference when looking at similar types? Was thinking about some Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 I found for £27.

And lastly a mouse and keyboard, which I have completely no idea about at all lol. I might be able to give him my old mouse til he gets some spare cash to buy a better one, but am waiting to hear back, so I am assuming he needs both. Looking for something not too expensive but that will do the job competently, and a mouse suitable for gaming.

So far with that lot I'm looking at about £770 without the mouse and keyboard, and I'm trying to keep it fairly close to £800.

Bit of an essay there, sorry :D But any advise would be greatly received. Thanks :)

EDIT: I also forgot to say that he won't be overclocking it for the time being so the stock cooler will be ok for now, and I haven't included a SSD to keep the price down.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cool. Thanks.

No he doesn't need an OS, will sort that out. Are there any particular PSUs to avoid? I'm not sure when he'll have the money for it, so I'll have to see what deals are around when he does.

Back
Top Bottom