Building a semi-future-proof rig now? Upcoming tech?

Associate
Hi guys!

So basically I've got this situation:

My computer is not reliable, but I can cope with it. I want to get a new rig that's decently powerful and reliable - but I'm in it for the long term. I want to keep the same machine for the upcoming 5-10 years. I currently rock a 2600k rig (had it for 6 years now) that I would see no reason to update for the next 3-5 years if it wasn't for the mobo being very unreliable - and can't really see reason to pay over 200-300€ for a really old preowned motherboard, the prices of them are just obscene.

So, I'm gonna build a new rig. There's just a couple of things - I would NOT want to end up in a situation where I've purchased technology that's outdated out of the box.

So - near-future technologies to be aware of and be assured to be supported by my rig is the topic here. I know - no one can predict upcoming technologies, and I understand the fact that there is never a perfect time to buy a rig, since new tech will always surface, and incremental increases are certain. But I want to cover my ass regarding crucial technologies that are gonna be very common soon.

1. I'm a musician, so I'll most likely be using Thunderbolt in the future, at least I'll be wanting that possibility. I only see Gigabyte making mobos that have these ports built-in?

2. USB Type C is another one that I see taking over many of the existing USB standards. So I'd figure it'd be useful to have at least 2-4 of these ports, right?

Now I'm not aware of other technologies, which is why I ask for your help!
I understand we're heading towards the world of 10nm and AMD is putting out their Ryzen. I'm of course interested in that potential kick-ass performance, but will AMD architecture even support Thunderbolt? It's kinda no-go if they won't support it any time soon.

What else is there to be aware of at this time regarding upcoming tech? Is it better to wait for AMD's Ryzen for one reason or another? What other things are there to be aware of? A new PCI standard that will be required for future GPUS after this year, and if I don't have it, I'm screwed? Scary stuff like that?

Thanks for everyone who contributes to this thread - you're saving the future Me's wallet and nerves!

Soldato
doesn't matter what tech you buy it will be obsolete in 5 years
at least it will in terms of sockets etc.

AMD do tend to keep the same socket longer but that's really irrelevant tbh because any CPU upgrade you would want to do in 5 years time, you would really want a MOBO upgrade to accompany it to get the most out of the new features a new cpu is likely to offer, that and DDR 5 could be a thing by then.

AMD are due to release their new line of CPUs by end of this month and they have promised big things, so I think pretty much everyone is saying hold off until they are released.

Associate
OP
MassiveJim;30498771 said:
doesn't matter what tech you buy it will be obsolete in 5 years
at least it will in terms of sockets etc.

AMD do tend to keep the same socket longer but that's really irrelevant tbh because any CPU upgrade you would want to do in 5 years time, you would really want a MOBO upgrade to accompany it to get the most out of the new features a new cpu is likely to offer, that and DDR 5 could be a thing by then.

AMD are due to release their new line of CPUs by end of this month and they have promised big things, so I think pretty much everyone is saying hold off until they are released.

I do understand this concept. However, my i7 2600K is still rocking like a beast. I see no trouble for it performance-wise in the next 3-5 years. And I've had it for almost 6 years now. I honestly don't think a lifecycle of 7-10 years is unrealistic, as long as one plans it well beforehand.

I think it's highly likely that Thunderbolt and USB Type C are going to be the sh**.

But what else is there to take into account, as to assure I'm not building an already outdated rig? I don't expect to play 120fps in VR 4K or calculate the Big Bang.

Soldato
you have just dropped very lucky with the 2600k.
Intel have not had any competition or the last 6 years or so, and they have only had very small incremental performance increases each time.

IF (and its a bif IF) AMD can live up to their claims, it could prove to be interesting times ahead where we see some decent gains each year again.

Associate
If Thunderbolts and USB type-c sockets are important to you, then you could get PCI-e cards later to add this functionality.

You should always pick your motherboard for it's socket type, and then narrow it down to a specific model or manufacturer by it's other features.

Back
Top Bottom