Building another arcade cabinet

Associate
OP
Well I managed to drop / scratch the marquee acrylic (on both sides). I did mistakenly order 3 pieces so all good.

I've been itching to see what this looks like so balanced the marquee on top of the mid section - it has some pads placed temporarily underneath the unpainted piece to it's higher than it should be. Pleased with how this is turning out ....

BygOz9i.png

I want to get the filling and painting on the spacer between the 2 sections started today.

Associate
OP
I've managed to drill the holes in the CP and check that everything lines up. I need to trim a couple of mm off the side panels and then I can glue and screw them into place before sanding it down and filling it.

Dry assembled:

YLTUiTy.png

k71vIee.png

Back:

ureswBl.png

You can see the chamfered sections to act as guides to make slotting this in as easy as possible. The middle chamfered piece has a threaded insert to allow the panel to be attached to the base section.

cO1eCm2.png

I've left about 1mm around the perimeter of the acrylic to allow for the layers of paint.

Edit: trimmed, and glued.

UuqD2xv.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Control panel filled, sanded and primed, There'll be a bit more to do to get some of the angles consistent across the front, angled pieces.

Drz9Zp5.png

I'll need to sand back the 'furry' bits of MDF to get it nice and flat once it's dry.

Like the other cabinet sections, the intention is to make this look like its been carved out of a single piece of wood.

Soldato
I'm pretty much done with the main sanding and filling and have got the second coat of black on after some vigorous sanding back. As usual, it's still drying when the picture was taken.

yytlCRe.png

How's it looking, following the thread with interest.

Wish I could do this but don't have the time or the patience :D

Associate
OP
Well it seems I had a dodgy can of paint - I've had to strip back a partially dry coat ... twice. A real pain tbh as the paint just clogs up the sandpaper and takes an eternity to remove.

I bought a new can of paint and made sure it would dry by testing it on some scrap. I've just re-primed the CP so hopefully I can start to make some progress on this again.

Back
Top Bottom