Building Home Server - help required

Associate
I am planning to build a home file server (have been putting it off for ages). Gonna stick Linux (probably Ubuntu) on it. Just got a few questions:

1) I want to use SATA HDDs in either Raid 1 or Raid 5 configuration. Plan on having 2 HDD's initially, but that will grow over time. Am I best getting a newer mobo (and processor) that supports SATA, or getting an add-in SATA card for a cheap old PII/III mobo/CPU?

2) I also want gigabit LAN. With the extra cost of adding a gigabit LAN card & SATA Raid controller to a cheap old mobo/CPU combo, would it be cheaper to just buy a newer mobo & CPU that supports gigabit LAN & SATA Raid?

Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Edit: If anyone could spec me a mobo/CPU combo (& add-in cards if necessary) to support gigabit LAN and 4 SATA connections with RAID (1 or preferably 5) that would be great.

Last edited:
Associate
I reakon very few knowlegeable peeps here on linux (may be wrong....sorry), but ive read enough probs guys are having with new setups and advise that u try find most compatible setup for linux as u dont need a screamer pc.

Associate
Not sure if you're aware, but you mention starting with 2 drives; this will limit you to Raid 1 (mirroring) or Raid 0 (striping), as Raid 5 requires a minimum of 3.

Whether its worth buying a new mobo / cpu depends on what bits you've already got - you'll struggle to find a motherboard with both AGP (assuming that you haven't got a spare PCI-express card) and Raid 5 support.

Onboard Raid 5 isn't on most of the lower-end motherboards, I found an MSI one for about £75, but there might be a cheaper one hiding away somewhere MSI K9N Platinum nForce 570 (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (MB-070-MS). You'll need to add a new cpu / ram / gfx.

Looking around on OCUK, a 4 port SATA raid 5 card is gonna set you back about £75... Highpoint Rocket RAID 1640 4-Port SATA RAID 5 Host Adapter

Can't find a Gigabit Nic on OCUK, but they're about £15ish.

So it looks like the expansion cards are the cheaper option.

Associate
OP
Ok. Cheers guys. I'm thinking it'd be cheaper to get a cheap old PII/PIII system off that auction site and buy a SATA Raid controller & gigabit LAN card to go in there, rather than build a whole new PC.

Soldato
Same as above, my server is made up of old gear with an added in network card and raid card (or two). Much better. I would never think of new gear for such a mundane task :p

Soldato
Got to agree with the guys above. I always use old kit for things like that, you just don't need the power in a home server.

Soldato
have to say actually my fileserver has gone from a pentium III 1ghz up to an amd 2500 now. Its still a cheep old computer I had spare. Basically its only because I want the server to be a games server occasionally too.

Soldato
YUp, siding with the rest...my homeserver is actually a dual athlon mp 1600+ machine with ECC reg memory, but that's another story.
New server is old main pc....so I re-use the parts.
Most new Linux distributions are easy to setup and get running, it's afterwards that you may run into problems...

Enjoy it, having a server is great if you use it :)

Associate
That motherboard is a good base (onboard gfx), but it's still gonna be about £200 for the minimum compontents:

Asus M2NPV-VM Micro ATX (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (MB-145-AS) £49.99
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.80GHz (Socket AM2) - Retail (CP-162-AM) £44.99
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC5300 667MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX21GB5300DC) (MY-030-GL) £69.99
Subtotal £164.97
VAT £28.87
Total £193.84

Back
Top Bottom