Building my first bike (brake question)

• Thread starter Deleted member 11679
  • Start date

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Hello,

I'm at the point now where I've been commuting daily on my BMC mountain bike and want a change.

Given I've been replacing parts/servicing every year and am generally happy finding my way round the bike and therefore have no worries in having a go at building one from scratch.

My question lies in the brakes. I prefer hydraulic, and the bike I am building is going to be structured around a Planet X London Road frame. I also want flat bar, as this suits my riding position for the commute. However, I can't seem to find road specific hydraulics brake kits which are setup for flat bar. I'd rather not have to set a hydraulic system up from scratch; I've done similar before and it got too messy for my liking for this situation. Does anyone know if I can install MTB disc brakes on a frame like this? On the spec sheet it says the frame uses direct mount.

Thanks for any help,

Tom

Permabanned
MTB brakes are simply flat bar brakes. As long as you buy some with that use the direct mount standard or some with the relevent adapter then it won't be an issue. :)

Soldato
what he said. disk brake calipers are disk brake calipers. just make sure you get the correct mount/adaptor.

note however that with any brake you'll probably want to shorten the hose length to avoid having massive excess loops of hose flopping around.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

OP
Thank you both, useful to know :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom