Building my first PC

Associate
I know the new AMD CPU range is coming out soon but if I could get a few suggestions on a PC then I can add some of the components to a wishlist and when they hopefully get reduced I will buy then.

I have a budget of around £1200 but don't mind spending a bit more for the right build.

I'll be using it for gaming, light video editing, general computer use. Must be able to cope with streaming on high settings. The higher the better. (Dayz, Red dead, COD, Football Manager)

I don't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse.

Ideally I'd like there to be WiFi but it's not a deal breaker if it hasn't. Don't really like all the fancy lighting but if the case is good and there is an option to turn it off or down then that's ok.

My youngest daughter who is 8 is really looking forward to helping me build it :)

What is the resolution of your monitor?

Must be able to cope with streaming on high settings.

For streaming you're looking at a Ryzen 5800 or 5900, both of which will eat into your budget. Then you can have 16 GB RAM (maybe 32 GB), a NVME drive, and a B550 motherboard.. For a GPU, there's the RTX 3070 or whatever AMD launch tonight.

What is the resolution of your monitor?

For streaming you're looking at a Ryzen 5800 or 5900, both of which will eat into your budget. Then you can have 16 GB RAM (maybe 32 GB), a NVME drive, and a B550 motherboard.. For a GPU, there's the RTX 3070 or whatever AMD launch tonight.

The monitor I have is the AOC 24G2U/BK 24" 144Hz Full HD 1ms IPS.

Thanks, I'll look into those

There’s a whole load of stuff to consider but one way to start looking at it, rather than just specifications and prices is to ask where am i going to keep it and what space do i have to work with.

if you have the space, or like the idea of a full size tower you could start looking at cases. Similarly, if you want to minimise the footprint or improve your standing with your better half you may want to look at mATX or ITX builds for inspiration. The £1200 may limit some of the pricier case options though.

I like having a browse though recent builds on some building websites to see what other people do with similar budgets.

There’s a whole load of stuff to consider but one way to start looking at it, rather than just specifications and prices is to ask where am i going to keep it and what space do i have to work with.

if you have the space, or like the idea of a full size tower you could start looking at cases. Similarly, if you want to minimise the footprint or improve your standing with your better half you may want to look at mATX or ITX builds for inspiration. The £1200 may limit some of the pricier case options though.

I like having a browse though recent builds on some building websites to see what other people do with similar budgets.

Thanks man, I appreciate your advice. I have loads of space so as long as the components fit then I'll be happy with whatever case.

The Lian Li cases are looking very good at the moment if you like their style.
Phanteks and Fractal also have some nice options for noise dampened or airflow focused cases.

Back
Top Bottom