• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Building my little sister a rig for her graduation...

Associate
I am getting her a AMD 8320 because the motherboard that comes with it will be free. I'm getting it at microcenter here in Texas. So it would be cheaper for her to go with the 8320 and mobo than even an i3 with a mobo... She is not a fancy person and wants something very basic for the case so that's that. She plays a lot of league of legends and smite and things like that. She has a crappy laptop with an i3 and hd 4000 graphics so she never gets to run anything on anything higher than low settings and her screen is 720p I believe.

I am thinking of getting her an evga superclocked 750ti. Either that or a 265 or 270. Trying to keep the build around 500-550$. What are your thoughts on the 750ti?

I am a 290 owner and my brother owns a 780. I am just not super familiar with the low end stuff even though I know a little. I know the 750ti can run most games at 1080p on high, and it is wayyy more power efficient than anything AMD has at that same level.

I just want her to have something that will last her through Sims 4 and games like that for her college career. Reliability and all.

Thoughts? Experiences? Opinions?

Associate
OP
Also, about the power supply, I was thinking corsair 430 watt bronze. Will that be fine with all the basics and a 750 ti evga superclocked edition? I am thinking it will be more than enough but I don't trust sites that tell me what the total tdp is

Associate
OP
Yes usually mmorpgs are but LoL isn't at all. LoL isn't taxing at all. The most taxing game sh'ed play is the sims 4 and all of its DLC.

Maybe Smite, I haven't seen benches for it.

Associate
OP
Well I could get the i3 4330 and mobo for a cheaper combo than the 8320 and the mobo... Do you think that'd be better?

And now that you say it, I am looking at 270s and maybe even 270x's because of the savings from getting the i3

Associate
OP
Well if I go with the i3 it will be a 15$ mobo marked down from 65$ as part of the package.

So a 270 and a 6300 or 8320 will run on a 400 watt psu? ANd pus recommendations are noted. Thanks!

Associate
OP
Yea kind of like the 8350 and the 9590...

So for her, basic gaming like Smite, League of Legends, and maybe some sims and stuff like that, a 6300 and amd 270 will be amazing. I'm looking for something she can use until she graduates. And I'm sold that this will be it.

She is used to small laptops will celerons and just recently an i3 with 2 gb of ram. So this will be huge for her.

Associate
OP
My mate has like over 500 games of various types on Steam(mostly Indie) and on other game delivery platforms including a number of Blizzard games and both LoL and DOTA2.

He uses an FX6300(both at stock and overclocked) and a HD7870LE/XT and games at 1920X1080 and it generally seems OK in most cases.

I can think of some games which are more lightly threaded and Intel has a decent advantage,but many games of the LoL and DOTA2 type are designed to scale well with hardware,have an art style which scales well will lower settings and this is also the reason why tens of millions of people buy them - people need to worry less about having the latest and greatest hardware with them.

If the FX6300 and motherboard is cheaper than a Core i3 equivalent I would get that. Regarding graphics cards,I would get this R9 270:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...MD_R9-270_OC_2GB_GDDR5_PCIE_30_x16_Video_Card

Its only $10 more than the cheapest GTX750TI on the MC website.

Even then for LoL and DOTA2 this would suffice IMHO:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/429296/R7_260OC_1GB__PCIe_30x16_Video_Card

I would also try and find some money for an SSD too. It makes the whole system feel snappier as a whole.

awesome finds there man. Yea I have been checking out famous auction sites for the best prices for her. I'd love for her to get an i5 bundle at microcenter, but like I said, she is getting money for graduation and doesn't want to use it all on a rig lol she wants sensible. She told me to stay between 5 and 600$. She already has a mouse, I need to get her a keyboard, but I'm buying her monitor as a gift so that's not part of the total...

Say I can't get the i5 which is definite possibility...

Would you go, i3 and a 265 plus maybe an ssd
or 6300 a 270 and an ssd?

Remember I want to stay right around 550$ total. (She wants a basic case, I'm getting her an nzxt 210)

Associate
OP
Consensus seems to be intel though rereading comments. I appreciate all the input guys! My intital thought was to go with an intel, I myself have one and always recommend them, but my younger brother plays the same games my little sister does and has an 8350 that runs impressively. But he also has a 780 GPU in his rig lol...

Recommendations on power supplies and wattage would be awesome too. Over here in the states we don't have quite as many options :/ Corsair reigns supreme here too, but I know how you guys feel. I've been trying to find good 430 watt Evgas and XFX models.

Associate
OP
For cpu I am thinking the i5 4470, it can be had for 140$ and a low end msi mobo which comes out at 45$. That way she's getting an i5 and good single thread performance but not a premium which the k series has. She'll never overclock lol

Associate
OP
Yea I know it doesn't need a high end gpu. I just want her to be able to run most games if she ever wants them. She games a lot on xbox but she wants to switch over.

I read an article a while back on toms about 7730s and such getting 100 fps on LoL

Associate
OP
Exactly and she won't be playing those outside of the sims.

So I found a refurbished newegg 270x powercolor for 145$. That with the i5 would be killer for her. What would the psu need to be? 500w minimum on amd's website for a 270x

Associate
OP
Of course! I caught her looking at laptops for gaming and I let her know the deal. Told her I would build her a real computer for gaming and at home work, that way she can use her i3 acer laptop for school. It's a small laptop perfect for carrying around.

Associate
OP
that's what I thought... lol when I saw that I was like huh? I had a 290 and i5 at one point on a cheap thermaltake 600w... Thank god I upgraded since then and got a better psu.

I was thinking an evga 430watt. It's cheap on amazon over here.

I wish we had overclockers in the US :( I bought a 21:9 lg from here and my sapphire 290. Such good deals, but on smaller items shipping overseas makes the deals null

Back
Top Bottom