• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Building my little sister a rig for her graduation...

Associate
OP
Consensus seems to be intel though rereading comments. I appreciate all the input guys! My intital thought was to go with an intel, I myself have one and always recommend them, but my younger brother plays the same games my little sister does and has an 8350 that runs impressively. But he also has a 780 GPU in his rig lol...

Recommendations on power supplies and wattage would be awesome too. Over here in the states we don't have quite as many options :/ Corsair reigns supreme here too, but I know how you guys feel. I've been trying to find good 430 watt Evgas and XFX models.

Associate
OP
For cpu I am thinking the i5 4470, it can be had for 140$ and a low end msi mobo which comes out at 45$. That way she's getting an i5 and good single thread performance but not a premium which the k series has. She'll never overclock lol

Soldato
So it would seem to be a bad idea then...
Depends on how you look at it...

For me, I would rather spend £70 buying a 2nd hand 7850 2GB (265) and take my chances without warranty and put the £60-£80 saving on the CPU instead for those games than to spend £130-£150 on a new 270 (7870).

To be honest, Smite doesn't even really need the graphic power of 7850 level...any performance hit, it would be mostly due to CPU limitations.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yea I know it doesn't need a high end gpu. I just want her to be able to run most games if she ever wants them. She games a lot on xbox but she wants to switch over.

I read an article a while back on toms about 7730s and such getting 100 fps on LoL

Soldato
I'm thinking the i5 4470 will be a must though. That will help her a lot more.
From the standpoint of non-overclocking and the possibly use of a 400W range PSU, I would agree that i5 4470 would probably be the best performance to price for the usage for games that don't use more than 4 cores (at the moment, it would seem only "some" AAA or high profile FPS game titles would use more than 4 cores).

Associate
OP
Exactly and she won't be playing those outside of the sims.

So I found a refurbished newegg 270x powercolor for 145$. That with the i5 would be killer for her. What would the psu need to be? 500w minimum on amd's website for a 270x

Associate
OP
Of course! I caught her looking at laptops for gaming and I let her know the deal. Told her I would build her a real computer for gaming and at home work, that way she can use her i3 acer laptop for school. It's a small laptop perfect for carrying around.

Associate
OP
that's what I thought... lol when I saw that I was like huh? I had a 290 and i5 at one point on a cheap thermaltake 600w... Thank god I upgraded since then and got a better psu.

I was thinking an evga 430watt. It's cheap on amazon over here.

I wish we had overclockers in the US :( I bought a 21:9 lg from here and my sapphire 290. Such good deals, but on smaller items shipping overseas makes the deals null

Soldato
Consensus seems to be intel though rereading comments. I appreciate all the input guys! My intital thought was to go with an intel, I myself have one and always recommend them, but my younger brother plays the same games my little sister does and has an 8350 that runs impressively. But he also has a 780 GPU in his rig lol...

Recommendations on power supplies and wattage would be awesome too. Over here in the states we don't have quite as many options :/ Corsair reigns supreme here too, but I know how you guys feel. I've been trying to find good 430 watt Evgas and XFX models.

Thats the thing an FX6300 is actually not that much slower than an FX8350 in lightly threaded games.

If your brother runs the game fine with an FX8350,I have shown videos with the FX6300 at stock running it fine,and another poster said that the CPU section of an A10 6800K runs it fine(krooton),that indicates something along the level of an FX6300 or Core i3 is fine.

The Core i5 is no doubt a solid gaming CPU,but you need to consider,that for the games she want to play whether you are going a bit OTT. In fact I would rather get something like an FX6300/Core i3 and put the money into an SSD,or even just save her some more money which she can put into savings.

Edit!!

Here is another older video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl9Wq3MB-Nk

Thats with a Phenom II X6 1090T and an HD6870 at 1600X900 at maximum settings.

The average is 72FPS,with a minimum of 57FPS and a maximum of 83FPS.

Remember that is probably with FRAPS activated which reduces framerates.

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO7-EwUTG5o

A slower FX4100 with an HD7870.

The four videos I posted so far include battle scenes with multiple players.

If games like SMITE needed Core i5 CPUs,only people on tech forums and hardware enthusiasts would play them.

Its is made to appeal to people with even slowish hardware - it needs to be able to attract people worldwide,and with varying budgets. This is why SMITE has millions of players and LoL and DOTA2 have tens of millions of players.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats the thing an FX6300 is actually not that much slower than an FX8350 in lightly threaded games.

If your brother runs the game fine with an FX8350,I have shown videos with the FX6300 running it fine,and another poster said that the CPU of an A10 6800K runs it fine,that indicates something along the level of an FX6300 or Core i3 is fine.

The Core i5 is no doubt a solid gaming CPU,but you need to consider,that for the games she want to play whether you are going a bit OTT. In fact I would rather get something like an FX6300/Core i3 and put the money into an SSD.
I don't know if OTT is actually accurate here, being fine and being better is two different things. No doubt people are probably "fine" with dips down to 30-33fps on the FX6300 or the i3, but the i5 would most likely be able to hold the frame rate at around 45fps+ at the very same scene.

I think the suggestion of the SSD is definitely worth considering, and I even thought about suggesting OP to consider the possibility or may be going with the FX6300 and overclocking it, but it doesn't seem it's something he would want, and overclocking the FX6300 would need to add the cost of 3rd party CPU cooler as well, which would put it close to the cost of a i5 which WILL be faster even without overclocking.

So I guess the options are either i3 or a FX6350 (instead of FX6300, since OP is not going to overclock) with a SSD, or i5 with a standard HDD.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know if OTT is actually accurate here, being fine and being better is two different things. No doubt people are probably "fine" with dips down to 30-33fps on the FX6300 or the i3, but the i5 would most likely be able to hold the frame rate at around 45fps+ at the very same scene.

I think the suggestion of the SSD is definitely worth considering, and I even thought about suggesting OP to consider the possibility or may be going with the FX6300 and overclocking it, but it doesn't seem it's something he would want, and overclocking the FX6300 would need to add the cost of 3rd party CPU cooler as well, which would put it close to the cost of a i5 which WILL be faster even without overclocking.

So I guess the options are either i3 or a FX6350 (instead of FX6300, since OP is not going to overclock) with a SSD, or i5 with a standard HDD.

You also need to consider FRAPS reduces framerates too. Plus the chap with an HD6870 and a Phenom II X6 got 57FPS minimums.

The thing is though I was only posting videos with stock CPUs. There is another one with an FX8150 at 4.2GHZ(which would be around FX6300 level due to the IPC improvements of PD) with a GTX560 non-TI having 50FPS minimums according to the chap at 1920X1080.

Even if you were to play it safe with a Core i3,I think it would be fine with the game,looking at how many people are not really using top end hardware,and a number seem quite,ahem,hardcore players.

Edit!!

Plus he says his brother with an FX8350 runs it fine.

Last edited:
Caporegime
For reference:

6800k + 7750: Happily kept Smite, LoL, and L4D2 above 60fps @ 1080p whilst adjusting the settings.

4250u + 740M (weaker than an i3 and 270): Happily played Smite, LoL and Marvel Heroes above 60fps @ 768p (laptop), and even managed State of Decay around 40fps

The i3-4330 I have now actually outperforms the 6800k in single threaded, matches it in multi-thread, and runs cooler with less wattage.

Soldato
For reference:

6800k + 7750: Happily kept Smite, LoL, and L4D2 above 60fps @ 1080p whilst adjusting the settings.

4250u + 740M (weaker than an i3 and 270): Happily played Smite, LoL and Marvel Heroes above 60fps @ 768p (laptop), and even managed State of Decay around 40fps

The i3-4330 I have now actually outperforms the 6800k in single threaded, matches it in multi-thread, and runs cooler with less wattage.
I read some posts by some users who were getting random huge performance hits during teamfights etc (dips to below 40fps)...was it just performance issue with the games itself during certain time period in the pass, rather than how the game usually is?

Caporegime
I don't know, I don't really pay a huge amount of attention when playing on weaker machines, I just keep reducing graphics settings until I get to a playable frame-rate, if I want all bells and whistles I use my main rig.

Back
Top Bottom