Built in WiFi on Motherboards

Soldato
On the subject of seperate antennas, overclockers used to sell an antenna extension kit years ago if my memory serves correctly.

They don't seem to stock anything like that anymore, though I guess SMA leads are reasonably cheap on their own.
Just checked elsewhere and found some. Great shout thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Not sure what other brands are like but the Wi-Fi on my Asus X570 Formula has been flawless, it's just Wi-Fi 6 (not E) but the link speed to my router (Netgear RAX200) with AX on 5Ghz is 2.4Gbps up and down and it has no issues maxing out my Virgin Media connection with 1,150Mbps down using the supplied wired antenna. No issues playing online games for many hours that require a constant connection like Destiny 2 or The Division 2 while downloading at full speeds at the same time and using bluetooth. I only use bluetooth headphones only and it's been just fine with that as well.

I would normally use wired ethernet but in order to max out my connection on all my devices I had to use the 1x 2.5Gbps port on my router as an internet port, so it was either be wired at 1Gbps and loose a lot of speed, or go wireless and still get my max speed which I do with pretty much the same latency, so no complains here after using solely onboard Wi-Fi on the PC for over a year.

Soldato
My Asus z790 is fine too.. Dunno exactly what wifi chip it is, but I get 100% speed and excellent latency over wifi on my 80mb internet connection from the router so I've never bothered to plug an ethernet cable in.

Edit.. It's
1 x Intel 2.5Gb Ethernet
WIFI 6E
Bluetooth

I think my routers wifi might be lower spec than that.. Wifi 5 I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
Indeed, I have one. It’s still trash.

Maybe its still to hidden away, I've just done a test on the PC I'm using, it's running an old gigabyte antenna from a z170 board and I get full speed, and its on top of the PC under a desk...

Contract is 80 down, 20 up...pretty puch flawless/as expected?

Is your router crap, or are there other reasons you get interference on the wi-fi?

The PC in my signature is running the asus antennae one that came with the board, and thats upstairs in my bedroom, and it still gets full speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe its still to hidden away, I've just done a test on the PC I'm using, it's running an old gigabyte antenna from a z170 board and I get full speed, and its on top of the PC under a desk...

Contract is 80 down, 20 up...pretty puch flawless/as expected?

Is your router crap, or are there other reasons you get interference on the wi-fi?

The PC in my signature is running the asus antennae one that came with the board, and thats upstairs in my bedroom, and it still gets full speed.
Indeed. Onboard WiFi is always dependent on the board. Saying on board WiFi in general is a bad idea is laughably ignorant and evidence shows the opposite.

It's always better when the board comes with a separate aerial wired by a few feet if cable for distance but even when the aerials provided are fixed to the rear of the board connections can be Great.

If you're getting bad signal it's probably just your routers range.

Associate
Indeed. Onboard WiFi is always dependent on the board. Saying on board WiFi in general is a bad idea is laughably ignorant and evidence shows the opposite.

It's always better when the board comes with a separate aerial wired by a few feet if cable for distance but even when the aerials provided are fixed to the rear of the board connections can be Great.

If you're getting bad signal it's probably just your routers range.
Onboard Wi-Fi is often badly implemented and very rarely have I found it to be good.

The Wi-Fi antenna often fall over and then drop the connection.

It doesn’t help that the onboard Wi-Fi is often in very close proximity to the chassis which acts as a faraday cage.

I have got my onboard Wi-Fi working fine but it’s often easier just to have a 3 meter USB male to female cable and use a known good USB adapter (I have several, all of which can do packet injection and monitoring with 9db antenna).

I also have a 3x3 ultra strong pci-e wifi adapter that blows onboard Wi-Fi out of the water, I just can’t use it with my ITX rig.

Wi-Fi in general is often inconsistent and has relatively high latency so I prefer using a LAN cable if possible as wired connections will nearly always be better than wired.

Yes, I’m cynical when it comes to wifi but only because it’s often really badly implemented, often using the cheapest components.

Soldato
Not sure what other brands are like but the Wi-Fi on my Asus X570 Formula has been flawless, it's just Wi-Fi 6 (not E) but the link speed to my router (Netgear RAX200) with AX on 5Ghz is 2.4Gbps up and down and it has no issues maxing out my Virgin Media connection with 1,150Mbps down using the supplied wired antenna. No issues playing online games for many hours that require a constant connection like Destiny 2 or The Division 2 while downloading at full speeds at the same time and using bluetooth. I only use bluetooth headphones only and it's been just fine with that as well.

I would normally use wired ethernet but in order to max out my connection on all my devices I had to use the 1x 2.5Gbps port on my router as an internet port, so it was either be wired at 1Gbps and loose a lot of speed, or go wireless and still get my max speed which I do with pretty much the same latency, so no complains here after using solely onboard Wi-Fi on the PC for over a year.
You must be literally next to your router?

Back
Top Bottom