Built my first rig! 2 problems...

Associate
Everything runs all fine and dandy, except it is (very!) loud when gaming and it also gets quite hot. The heatsink on the CPU is a defualt amd one which has pre applied thermal compound, and the cables are quite messy. I tried my best to tuck them away. Also, the CPU fan on the case is the one which came with the case.

I have 5 fans; one on the chassis, one in the PSU, two in my gpu and 1 in the CPU heatsink. When I start gaming and my system heats up, the fans get faster. When the CPU is around 52 degrees, it goes from inaudible to those in my Skype call, to very loud indeed. I can go outside my room, close my door, and still hear it when I am half way across the hallway.

The temperature is quite worrying, too. I'm not sure if it is normal or not, but when playing tomb raider at ultimate/Max graphics, the GPU managed to reach 72°C. The CPU had reached 67°C. The HDD and motherboard were both 50°C at this point apparently. This doesn't seem normal so I am going to reduce the graphics settings to reduce the load on my system when gaming. When I am just browsing, the CPU is generally 44-53°C, GPU is 34°C. When installing a program, the CPU gets to about 61°C.

I don't want to wear out my PC in a year, I need it to last at least 3 (if it is not uber outdated by then) , so is there any solutions? I'm not too keen on spending more money, but at Christmas my budget should be expanded.

Soldato
Gaming temps seem fine. I'd be slightly concerned about the HDD temps under load mind you...

As for noise, depending on the GPU, they can be quite noisy, and I'm pretty sure all default heatsinks get pretty noisy...

Personal thought is you probably need an extra fan on the case to help airflow, and a better heatsink.

kd

Associate
OP
Sorry for the long reply, it's hard to get my specs from my phone. Hopefully this will do:

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB 3.0 AMD 760G
Graphics card: MSI HD 7870 2GB GDDR5
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz
CPU: AMD Piledriver FX-6300 6-core 3.5GHz
Case: Salman T1 mini tower case

If you need any more like HDD or disc drive just ask.

Soldato
You could try getting all silent type fans to solve the LOUD issue but that many fans are never going to be silent. The GPU twin fans could be be making most of the noise and PSU if it has a loud fan. Look up what the temp ranges are for the cpu and gpu. If your getting anywhere near the limit then yes you need to worry and find a cause or contact the place you got them or the people who made them.

Associate
OP
Just checked the limits, I believe the CPU is worrying at around 70-75, and over 80 for the GPU. How well will tucking all the wires out of the way do? They're a bit messy but I guess I could hide them to make a more open space.

Associate
Just checked the limits, I believe the CPU is worrying at around 70-75, and over 80 for the GPU. How well will tucking all the wires out of the way do? They're a bit messy but I guess I could hide them to make a more open space.

Having wires all over the place impedes air flow within the case, it will certainly help; probably not a huge amount, unless you have got a massive bundle of wires blocking the air flow.

Associate

What did you use to read the CPU temps? You need to keep the Core/Package temp under 62'c for that chip, but socket temps top between 71'c and 81'c on different motherboards.

At 4.8Ghz on my chip I get 61'c on the cores, 72'c on socket, which is max for cores, but a few 'c below on socket. I run at 4.4Ghz as 4.8Ghz is not justifiable.

Regards

Associate
Your gaming temps are okay and well within tolerance, but your stock AMD fan will make a lot of noise even at okay-but-high temperatures. The browsing CPU temp is a little high though, I suspect that your CPU fan isn't mounted properly (as well as being crap)

Your GPU temperature is also fine, but its fans are likely having to ramp up due to the excess heat in the case from the CPU. Even so, it will be the CPU fan that you can hear.

Swap out the AMD fan and you should be fine - but just to be sure, what other fans do you have in your case? I'd recommend following Idlman's suggested cooler and getting two fans, one for the front (intake) and one for the back or top (exhaust) - just getting cool air into the case and warm air out of it can make a big difference when gaming.

Back
Top Bottom