Burberry Product Shot

Soldato
I took this shot and made it look like a piece of advertisement for the company. Does the pink filter work?

Any other comments and critics?

IMG_7027a.jpg

Thanks for looking

Blackvault (Pete)

Soldato
It's professionally shot i think, and i do like the pink filter. But you've obviously shot them on a soft surface, which bothers me as you can see it at the bottom (where they sit on it) and they are wonky which is definately off-putting. The writing on the red box needs to stand out a lot more -- not sure how you could do that. Besides that, i like. :)

Soldato
OP
Scam said:
It's professionally shot i think, and i do like the pink filter. But you've obviously shot them on a soft surface, which bothers me as you can see it at the bottom (where they sit on it) and they are wonky which is definately off-putting. The writing on the red box needs to stand out a lot more -- not sure how you could do that. Besides that, i like. :)

Thanks for the comment. It was actually shot on a low budget of a flash and bit of cloth and white paper. I agree that the soft surface is a bit of a distraction and I aim to change this in a later reshoot.

Thanks

Blackvault

nice shot, yes it is a little wonky plus if you centralized the perfume and box as you have more empty space on the left than the right,

heres the shot with the level corrected and centralized,

edit - bored, I just cloned out the line in the bottle as well (hope you don't mind :) )

edit - still bored, I've cleaned the bottom of the box up now so it's hard to tell that it was shot on a soft surface.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks much better centralised and levels. I not sure about them been at diff heights the glass dosent have a defined bottom edge like the box, so it looks better than if it were 2 boxes out of line.

The only thing left that seems to really stand out to me in the pic is the blue in the bottles silver top. Maby make that a red/pink to match the feel of the pic?

(this is just from a general user p.o.v. I not a good photographer :) )

Associate
One factor on a shot like this that you need keep all the parts of the product within exposure, and not blow out any of it. The top of the red box and the sides and bottom of the bottle is overexposed, especially the bottle.

Also have a think about a product for men. The back lit thing is usually something I see on fragrences for women, but depending on the kind of scent it is it can be done for men. What are you trying to say about this fragrance?

Soldato
1. As already mentioned, pink lighting doesn't suit a male-oriented product. You could either use red or maybe just have a completely white background.

2. The product itself isn't of a good enough quality to shoot. The packaging would appear to be slightly damaged around the top corners and the top is bowing out which is why we've got the lighter top section. There also appears to be a crease or dent near the top left.

3. Shooting on a soft surface doesn't look right, but sounds like you know to try something different.

4. The reflection in the bottle's lid is distracting and not what you'd expect to see in a product shot. It should be clean and have no distracting elements. Can I see fingerprints on it too?

5. There's no definition of the edge of the bottle. You might want to try putting two sheets of black card either side of the shot, out of the frame. This should then reflect on the sides of the bottle giving you an edge.

6. I don't expect to see shadows (bottom right of box and bottle) in a product shot.

7. The Burberry logo on the box needs to be picked out better. Same goes with the 'FOR MEN' and 'EAU DE TOILETTE' sections. I think your lighting might be letting you down here but that's easily rectified.

8. The lid on the bottle doesn't look like it's on straight. The removal off the tube in lowrider's reworking is a dramatic improvement.

9. Do we need to see the box and the bottle? The difference in height is distracting and while it show both the packaging and the contents I'd rather see the bottle in a more stylised surrounding than both just sat there. Or maybe you can cheat and shoot both seperately and combine in PP so that they are of equal heights? Nobody would know unless they had the product sat in front of them.

Soldato
OP
glitch said:

Thanks for the in-depth critic mate. I have posted it in another photography forum and most of the points that you and others made have been made on this other forum. I agree with all of them expect the shadows comment.

As someone mentioned on another forum is that if the shadows where removed it would make the object looks like they are floating in mid air. I agree with this statement and that is why I left in the shadows.

I'll try and re shoot this item again tomorrow. Thanks

Blackvault

Soldato
No problem, Mr Vault, happy to throw a few pointers your way. Have a passing interest in what your doing myself and just put down my thoughts.

As for shadows, well that's my personal opinion but I see where you are coming from. Good luck with the re-shoot.

Back
Top Bottom