• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Buy now or wait.

Associate
Hi

I'm currently using an i7 5820k cpu with a GTX 970 and have just bought a new Dell S2716dg which I want to play games (mainly PUBG) at 2560 x 1440p.

Been looking at the gtx 1080 TI's and RTX 2070 TIs. (the latter I'm a bit worried about their recent problems).

So question is
1. Will the CPU bottleneck the GPU. From what I've read I should be ok by wacking up the multiplier to 44 to 4.4ghz

2. Is it best to wait until the new line up of cards come out.

Thanks for any help
S

Associate
I would go for a 2080 if you want high frames 1440p to take advantage of the 144hz, i have the same monitor and a 1080ti (trades blows with the 2080)
OCUK have a few 2080's for a great price at the mo compared with competitors like the MSI Ventus OC model for £629.99 or the standard for £599.99 (i would pay the £30 extra and get the OC model)

Soldato
I was using a 1080 Ti with my 3970X at 4.6GHz and 1440p recently and saw very little in the way of bottlenecking. There are obviously some games which absolutely hammer the CPU like Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, but it was able to operate flat out on my setup the vast majority of the time. The same goes for the Ryzen 2700X that I was using before that with the same card. An overclocked 5820K should be fine and it'll certainly be a huge upgrade to your gaming experience.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If you can wait, then wait as this generation of cards are duds from a price for performance point of view imo. I would be surprised if we don’t get something much better with the 3000 series.

Soldato
Now is the best time ever to wait. Typically waiting is pointless, there is always new stuff round the corner.

But now? Omg...waiting is the exciting bit for a change.

Soldato
I was going to to wait but got tired of naff 1440p performance at 144hz on new titles.

I ended up with a 2080.

I've got a 4770k at 4.5GHz and it's not a bottleneck.

Last edited:
Soldato
The CPU will absolutely bottleneck you and likely in most instances you won't do above 90-100 fps irrespective of the GPU. That's just the truth, I have the 6800k which is essentially the same CPU (running it at 4 Ghz). Was testing out 1080p 120hz yesterday in Far Cry 5 and the game rarely got above 100 fps except for a split second (I have a V64 but the GPU usage was lower than 90% so I know it's CPU that's the matter). For PUBG you'll be fine and it will likely fluctuate a lot regardless, but you won't max out your monitor so to speak. The difference from 4 to 4.4ghz is not going to be enough to cover that gap. Normally I play at 4K so I don't think about CPU at all, but in this case I got curious (plus the high framerate games I would usually play have no issues staying well above 120fps, dota 2, csgo etc).

This is not necessarily a bad problem though - you need a 2080ti to push those frames at 1440p in general anyway. For PUBG in particular, a 2080 would be enough. Besides, the experience will be stellar at 90-100 fps just as it is above it.

Another truth is, something's always going to be the bottleneck unless you just buy the best available. So even if you got something like a 2080 ti I wouldn't worry about it, the bottleneck will exist - yes, but it's not going to be detrimental to your experience, you just simply won't have a 100% optimized system - but if it does the job, who cares?

Now, is it worth the wait? It depends on your expectations. I say it's safe to expect a cheaper & more power efficient V64 from Navi, but no more this year. So if you're looking into a 2080 or above, that's likely not going to be good enough performance for you. Though at the same time, you have to weigh the cost vs benefits. Is 20-30% more performance (and Gsync in your case) worth almost double the price? Up to you. Note: I'm speculating on Navi based on all rumours & info available, but there is NO official info available except that it will be mid-range & on 7nm.

Associate
1) if you get it to 4.4, then in most cases, No it won't bottleneck.
2) You'll be waiting until 2021, probably. I dont think anything has been announced for a RTX replacement. The question is do you want to upgrade or not, if it was me I'd get something newer than the 970.

Back
Top Bottom