Buying a Fiat 500 - specific things to look out for?

Associate
Missus wants a new car, her decision on what she gets (although I'm part funding it). Her requirements in order are:

- its pretty
- it's a lovely colour
- she can trundle the kids around the local area

She's set on a Fiat 500 having looked at a few options (Mini, Audi A1 etc etc). Currently considering new and nearly new, although 2nd hand car prices are so high that new isn't much more expensive.

Any things specific to the 500 I should look out for when making the final decision? Must have or must avoid options? Specific things on nearly new (i.e. less than 3 years old) to look out for?

And no, apparently the Abarth 500 does not meet criteria 2 as the colours available are not acceptable. Shame.

Associate
OP
haha.

OP: My missus had one prior to her A1, I really can't think of anything that the 500 did better other than being a Fiat and that's probably debatable.

A1 fails criteria 1 (it's not pretty) apparently. Annoying as there is an audi garage very near to me, but Fiat garage is a little way away.

Soldato
Missus wants a new car, her decision on what she gets (although I'm part funding it). Her requirements in order are:

- its pretty
- it's a lovely colour
- she can trundle the kids around the local area

She's set on a Fiat 500 having looked at a few options (Mini, Audi A1 etc etc). Currently considering new and nearly new, although 2nd hand car prices are so high that new isn't much more expensive.

Any things specific to the 500 I should look out for when making the final decision? Must have or must avoid options? Specific things on nearly new (i.e. less than 3 years old) to look out for?

And no, apparently the Abarth 500 does not meet criteria 2 as the colours available are not acceptable. Shame.

We have a 1.2 Lounge 2017 which we share. I think it is a good car for the price, I wouldn’t want to buy a full price or electric fancy one.

Trim levels are (or used to be) Pop, Pop Star & Sport, Lounge in that order spec wise with Lounge being top.

I’d either buy a sport (looks sporty) or a lounge. The pop is very basic. Lounge has rear parking sensors, AC, front fogs, chrome grill, split folding seats, cruise, half glass roof etc and isn’t really much more money.

1.2 engine is older design now but fine. 1.4 is more powerful but needs a few more revs, think the 1.4 is 6 speed too, but then has a slightly bigger turning circle. No idea on Diesel engines. The Twinair thrums nicely and has good power but costs more and possibly less reliable, test drove one but didn’t buy it.

Running costs, service every 9k which is oil and filter, every other service is air filter and plugs iirc. £120 or £200 a time. Cambelt and water pump after 4-6 years. Just had ours done at 5 years (£300 labour & parts).

Front discs and pads wear quite quick as they are 140mm solid discs only, had ours changed at about 35k (3 years) but then they are only £120 to replace both.

Tyres depends how you drive… changed the original continentals at 20k, got 31k on the Michelins replaced those with and still going. Not a cheap stock size 185-55-15. £75ish each. Sport model might have different profile and some people spec 16” wheels.

The wiper motor broke (started screeching) under warranty, but I changed it myself £100. The sump is/was quite rusty as it catches the stones/weather (painted it to reduce wear). Rear hatch inside the boot can have thin paint.

We paid £9660 for ours pre-registered (16 miles) as a march 2017 model so we pay £20 VED. This has gone up for models after that to £120 iirc.

So after 5 years and 51k, it has had 6 regular services, replaced cambelt and one set of tyres and brakes. Only part to break is the wiper motor. Mechanic advised slight play in rear suspension bushes this year but nothing else. Average about 48mpg. Our model doesn’t have apple carplay which would be good to have, you can connect phone up via Bluetooth for calls and/or cable to use it as iPod. The larger touchscreen was an expensive option which might do CarPlay, I’m not 100%.

Edit: forgot to add, they were face lifted in 2016ish, I assumed anything you’d be buying would be newer than this. They made a lot of small changes but the most obvious ones are a different alloy design and the rear lights are totally different from the older version.

Last edited:
Soldato
The door handles fall off regularly. Like almost a guarantee during ownership and I'm pretty sure they haven't fixed it. About a 30 minute self repair though so not that bad, the hinge breaks and renders them useless.

I had a 2011 Abarth 500 and it was good fun, they make them in yellow too which is a popular colour (I think nice too) and also bright green..

Soldato
We've got a 2012 twinair lounge (bought from new). It's red and I like it a lot more than I should. For a city runaround it's excellent, super easy to park and plenty of space for shopping considering its small size.

Servicing is cheap, consumables are cheap, it's good on fuel. It's not got many frills, it's not the last word in driving pleasure (but the engine is entertaining), but as a simple runaround it's great. Not a huge amount has gone wrong, main issues are the start stop not working and the gear selector cable breaking. It's had a new clutch and the front suspension is pretty much a consumable item (but not expensive to sort out). It also likes to go through lightbulbs, but again not particularly troublesome.

How big are the kids? Getting in and out of the back is a pain and if you were doing regular taxi duties I'd strongly consider a 5 door instead.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses all, and particular thanks to @Berger and @tom_nieto for the detailed info, very useful. Tried again on the Audi A1 this morning - still stuck on "but it's not pretty, the 500 has a colour co-ordinated dashboard".

Fair play that she doesn't want some massive SUV tank for the parent taxi duties: sounds like a keeper.

We unfortunately do have the usual SUV tank as our main car, but she hates parking it so it's used for long journeys and towing my race car.

Her 'keeper' status is marred by resisting the 500 Abarth!

How big are the kids? Getting in and out of the back is a pain and if you were doing regular taxi duties I'd strongly consider a 5 door instead.

It's a good point. Heading to the dealer next Saturday with the kids to test the getting in and getting out.

Soldato
It's a good point. Heading to the dealer next Saturday with the kids to test the getting in and getting out.

How long you going to/planning keep it?

If you want to throw some money away you could lease one for ~£8k over 3 years, this is the 500e. Or have a look at the brand new ones that are on offer, one HERE, going to cost more upfront but much more likely to hold value vs the crazy second hand prices of cars right now. You can find them in stock as well, not just factory order, will be slightly cheaper to run, and maintain as well. Apparently it also won What Car - Car of the year, if that matters.

Soldato
They have weak suspension parts and other common things which seem to affect all of them. I bought a cheap Abarth 500 to use as a daily/shopping car, which turned out to be not cheap. It always needs something doing, usually bushes. The older T-Jet engines are much tougher than the twinair (which is why they still use them on the Abarth).

The standard 500 is probably nowhere near as good. But they are pretty light (just over 1 ton) and do handle quite well. It's the sort of car the EV era is going to kill off. The 500e is pretty lardy in comparison with crap range, likely still with the same weak suspension lol

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Had a look at the electric version - far too expensive for what it is.

We'll keep it till it dies, then replace with an electric in 2030 or so I think

Associate
OP
Partial success - missus is getting an Abarth 500 as we found a combination of colours that passes the 'it must be pretty' test. At least it will drive better than the standard 500.

Brand new, arriving in April or so.

Soldato
Partial success - missus is getting an Abarth 500 as we found a combination of colours that passes the 'it must be pretty' test. At least it will drive better than the standard 500.

Brand new, arriving in April or so.

So what is the total to own cost e.g. if you got it on PCP/HP final amount that it would/will cost?

Back
Top Bottom