Buying a First Car

Soldato
Hi guys,

After passing my test am really after a car. My dad says wait for his mate to get his hands on one (as it owns it's MOT place).

Was thinking of having a look at this car tomorrow:

Link

What do you think? It's £1400, Fire, Theft with admiral.

Caporegime
Hmm personally i'd go for something like a Clio (just bought one as a first car and I love it), my mate had a peugeot and it had lots of problems. Also just noticed the mileage on that thing, 84'000 is very high in my personal opinion.

Use autotrader and look on there for cars in your area http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.asp

What's your postcode? let me know and ill see if I can pull up a few cars you may be interested in. :)

Soldato
Richdog said:
Matter of opinion I suppose, I wouldnt like to buy a 2nd hand car with more than 70k on the clock personally. :)
Modern cars don't just become unrelaible when they have done over X milage. You should be looking at the gerenal condition of the vehicle & servicing at the correct intervals.

You pay a massive, unjustified premium for low milage cars.

Caporegime
triggerthat said:
Hey,

Postcode is CR4 3BZ. :)

1996 RENAULT CLIO 1.9 D RT 5dr Diesel Hatchback,
52,000 miles, 96(p)black 5door,5 speed,powersteering 11 months mot,5mths tax,electric windows sunroof,mirrors,c/locking,remote alarm colour coded bumpers and mirrors front fog lights ex condition through out. TEL 07963 292714. £1,395. ono

3rd down the page, black clio diesel 1.9 RT low mileage and electric windows/sunroof/mirrors etc, will be very economical too! Not sure what your insurance would be like though, that may put a dampener on things http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...urce=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

1997 RENAULT CLIO RT 1.4 3dr [PAS] Hatchback,
48,000 miles, Silver. 12 mths MOT, 6mths tax, sh, r/c/locking, e/w and sunroof, immob, rad/cas. Low insurance group, ideal first car. vgc throughout. £1,695

2nd down on the page, looks a nice little ccar, very similar to the one I just bought and you would be able to get them down to £1500 http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...urce=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

Just ones that caught my eye. Others will be able to provide good examples of other car brands no doubt. :):)

Man of Honour
That 306 looks better than any of those Clio's - I can think of nothing that makes a 306 any more of a reliability issue than a Clio of similar age.

And of course, age and condition > mileage. A 98 with 80k > a 96 with 50k or whatever.

Soldato
OP
It's quite hard to say really. I can afford 1.2K. However my dad did say just go for something fairly cheap. So would say max 1K. Cheaper the bettter. But personally, I wouldn't mind going for a slightly nicer car (306).

Caporegime
Man of Honour
Heck of a lot of cash for a Mk1 Mondeo especially when for the same money there is a pretty good looking 2000 Zetec with Aircon...

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
Heck of a lot of cash for a Mk1 Mondeo especially when for the same money there is a pretty good looking 2000 Zetec with Aircon...

I wouldn't know mate, was just throwing some other ideas out there.

Soldato
I have to recommend a Mondeo, they are easier to drive than the Labour Cabinet, have a better ride quality than Angelina Jolie and cost less than a computer, and I don't have the luxury leather and fakewood model. :)

As to insurance - You will have just passed your test, you are going to get raped anyway.

Back
Top Bottom