Buying a house...

Soldato
lordrobs said:
In your situation how long was it before you actually had to stump up the deposit money as ours is scattered in about 10 different places :o

Ermmm, i started getting the deposit money together when the mortgage was agreed as that was the sticky point with my purchase (3 bedroom flat but over commercial premises)

you can normally get a good idea from your solicitor when they fell they may be ready to complete and work basaed on that, i only needed 10 days to free up the money from my financial advisors investments but the deposit was only in two places, ISA and Bond Package.

it varies so much on where the money is tied up.

transferring the money now £10k per day as i refuse to pay natwest to transfer it from the bank when i can transfer £10k every day online. its a principle thing.

Soldato
OP
Your right about the mortgage thing, basically every £ extra we spend on the house we will be paying £1.79 back :eek: however we're in a slightly different position in that the amount we will put on the mortgage will be a fixed amount (already pre-arrange) and we (actually my gf :o ) will vary the deposit accordingly to make up the price of the house.

We need 10 to 14 days to get the money moved so that should be fine.

Associate
I am having a nightmare at the mo, and I am a first time buyer. First, estate agents issue same solictors to buyer and seller. Then Solicitor, after 5 weeks of waiting, havent even started local searches.then solicitors lose the £250 that we paid them ages ago for the searches as well. Then find out that sellers thought they had sent Contract package off but it is still in their car after 6 weeks.
Got a homebuyers report back which seemed a waste of time and the sellers havent even seen anyone to come round and DO a survey for this said report.
Sometimes feeling withdrawing and staying in rented !!!, all this and missus is due to drop in 2 weeks and we hoped we would have moved in, and we are barely off of square one since we started it all beginning of April !!!! :mad:

Soldato
OP
rayer said:
"Bit of a nightmare...."
Sounds like a real PITA! I'm guestimating about 1.5 to 2 months to complete, would be ideal if that fell around August time as I can book as much time off as I want in the kids summer holiday so I can get decorating and doing those finishing touches that the other half will insist on :p

Soldato
Kell_ee001 said:
The stress when moving must be a girly thing then :p

Maybe it's because guys are just looking to buy a house and girls tend to be looking for a new home? :)

When me and vix start looking properly I expect that I'll predominently be trying to buy a nice garage with plenty of space to put cars that happens to have a house attached whilst she'll be worrying about all this homely stuff. :p

Soldato
OP
kaiowas said:
When me and vix start looking properly I expect that I'll predominently be trying to buy a nice garage with plenty of space to put cars that happens to have a house attached whilst she'll be worrying about all this homely stuff. :p
LOL that what I like about this place. 27' Garage plus off road parking for 3 cars :cool:

EDIT- Oh and by the way I caved in on the price under the condition that a bit of remedial work was done :o

Last edited:
Soldato
The sad thing about moving is time...

Even if you have your mortgage ready you are going to have to wait for the sellers to move out and chances are they are buying as well - and so the chain continues...

I'm in a relatively small chain (basically selling my house and moving into rented and the buyer is selling her house to first time buyers) and it's taking an age - we accepted the offer in February (and we can move out at any time) and it's still not completed.

I believe the UK has the worst system in the World for house purchasing - I think it should be that you view the house make your offer over the next few days and sign a contract - if you then don't buy it you should be liable for expenses - we're 99% completed and the sad thing is that either myself or the buyer could pull out at any time with no real consequences - it sucks!

Macca.

Soldato
OP
kaiowas said:
Think I've found it, Mulbarton?
Yup :p

We've looked at a few down there but this one is down a little cul-de-sac so it feels less crowded which is why we were quite desperate to buy it. Others would come up but we might have to wait a bit for one as well located.

Probably moving my work to Hethel too (near Lotus site) so commute will be a doddle.

Soldato
Desmo said:
Stressful? What is there to stress over? You either get this house or you get another one. Maybe I'm just too laid back :/

That's exaclty how I was about it.

First time buyer though, and my dad helped out a lot.

Soldato
lordrobs said:
Yup :p

We've looked at a few down there but this one is down a little cul-de-sac so it feels less crowded which is why we were quite desperate to buy it. Others would come up but we might have to wait a bit for one as well located.

Probably moving my work to Hethel too (near Lotus site) so commute will be a doddle.

Is that at the new tech centre? Few people from here have left for jobs there.

Soldato
OP
kaiowas said:
Is that at the new tech centre? Few people from here have left for jobs there.
Yeah thats the one, nothing definate yet but fingers crossed as its a good facility... or at least it will be when its all finished.

Vix

Vix

Associate
Yay! You will have to nip in for a cuppa :D

Both times I have bought a house it has been mega stressful, but nothing compared to the actual day of moving!!!

I'm actually looking forward to house hunting with Phil as he actually puts some effort into the considering of places, rather than just letting me sort everything out. And the garage will be just as important to me!!!

Soldato
OP
Vix said:
Yay! You will have to nip in for a cuppa :D

:D

Are you actually in Norwich or somwhere on the outskirts?

I'm currently back living with my parents in Brundall so Mulbarton will be a nice change of scenery :) will also be easy for Jane to get to work as she works in Norwich City Centre.

Associate
Myself and my GF just bought our first home a couple of months back. After 10 years paying rent I'd had enough of paying other peoples mortgages for them.

With prices creeping steadily upwards year by year I knew we had to move soon or we would never be able to afford a place. It's hellish for 1st time buyers just now, as you are competeing with people who have already made money and own a home already, and are snapping up properties for renting purposes. The last place I was renting was owned by a couple for Oxford, never lived here ever.

As for trying to get a house on the cheap (under asking price). You'll be bloody lucky, especially I imagine down south. Our solicitor told us to expect to pay at least 20% over the asking price. In the end to secure our home we had to pay £10,000 over the £75,000 asking price. We were going against 2 other buyers, but luckily the seller was dealing with the sale privately. No estate agents pressuring him to encourage a bidding war. He took a liking to us, told us our 1st offer was below the current best. We could have one other chance to increase our bid. If he thought it was enough he would call the other 2 and say the sale was over & he would be accepting no new offers. We upped it by £4,500 which I thought was a bit excessive but after a nervous few hours by the phone we got the call telling us well done it's your folks. I like to think having my Girlfriend fall in love with the place infront of himself & his missus on the 1st viewing, and my 2 year old having a great time exploring the place helped to sway their decision in our favour.

If you're thinking about buying a home, personally I would go for it now. It was frustrating for me as a single bloke a few years back, I watched a lot of my friends who had partners buying their 1st homes. Those homes were all bought for 40-45k, now all worth 85k at the very least. Five years back I'm sure I could have purchased this current home for that price no problem.

Soldato
lordrobs said:
:D

Are you actually in Norwich or somwhere on the outskirts?

I'm currently back living with my parents in Brundall so Mulbarton will be a nice change of scenery :) will also be easy for Jane to get to work as she works in Norwich City Centre.

We're in Wymondham.

Soldato
OP
kaiowas said:
We're in Wymondham.
Ah, I'll be just up the road if this sale goes through :D

Oh and I'm guessing the whole second thoughts and "is this really what I want" thing is normal :o People keep asking me if I'm excited and tbh at this moment in time I'm not excited in the slightest :(

Back
Top Bottom