Buying a new gaming pc thoughts on these specs?

Soldato
A GPU is super easy to install, I'm assuming you have something you could use in the meantime until the 5500XT reviews start to surface?

The price sounds a little high, but I suspect that covers parts + labour and some form of in store warranty, as you don't seem to want to build it yourself?

Associate
OP
The pc comes with a 3 year warranty from a highly rated local company which was why I didn't want to build myself. I don't have a graphics card but I'm in no rush for one at the moment. Is it possible to still use the pc without one? Also does the 3600 not have integrated graphics for low quality games just for now?

Soldato
The 3600 doesn't come with integrated graphics unfortunately, so you would need a GPU in order to use your PC. The options you've been looking at are still good, the Vega 56 if you can stretch is probably not going to be replaced in performance by the new 5500XT due to launch, although I could be wrong. I would also say it's worth checking to see if you would void your in store warranty should you buy a GPU from elsewhere and fit it yourself, I find it unlikely but it's better safe than sorry.

The only information I've seen regarding time-frames for the new mid range cards is that they're due quarter 4 of this year, which we've only just entered into. I'd expect the cards to launch prior to December but it could be worth doing a little more research into that should you decide to wait it out.

Associate
OP
The 3600 doesn't come with integrated graphics unfortunately, so you would need a GPU in order to use your PC. The options you've been looking at are still good, the Vega 56 if you can stretch is probably not going to be replaced in performance by the new 5500XT due to launch, although I could be wrong. I would also say it's worth checking to see if you would void your in store warranty should you buy a GPU from elsewhere and fit it yourself, I find it unlikely but it's better safe than sorry.

The only information I've seen regarding time-frames for the new mid range cards is that they're due quarter 4 of this year, which we've only just entered into. I'd expect the cards to launch prior to December but it could be worth doing a little more research into that should you decide to wait it out.

Think Il just get one tomorrow hopefully

Palit 6gb gtx storm x

Or

Gigabyte 8gb Radeon rx 590

Which one would you choose? :)

Soldato
The 1660 will perform better in most situations while using a lot less power.

Look up some reviews between the two, given the price difference is fairly small. You should be able to find a 580 or 590 for around the £150-170 range though, and as I mentioned earlier a RX580 will perform close to the 590 once you start playing with OC'ing. I'm assuming you plan on playing at 1080p, as the cards you're looking at are best suited to that resolution. That being the case, the 6gb on the 1660 will be fine.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £504.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)

An example of what I mean by pricing^

I'd take any of those over a 1660 at those prices, but when the difference is £15 if you "must" buy from that specific shop the 1660 is probably the better option for you.

I'd actually recommend contacting the store and asking them if they'd be willing to price match, tell them that if they're not that you'll be buying the GPU from elsewhere. No harm in trying your luck, they might be happy to do so given the money you're spending.

Edit: Added a Gigabyte 580 to the list, worth noting that while it's more expensive it has UK based customer support and an extra year manufacturer warranty.

Edit2/PS: A single fan 1660 is fine, they don't generate a lot of heat compared to the 580/590 cards.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The 1660 will perform better in most situations while using a lot less power.

Look up some reviews between the two, given the price difference is fairly small. You should be able to find a 580 or 590 for around the £150-170 range though, and as I mentioned earlier a RX580 will perform close to the 590 once you start playing with OC'ing. I'm assuming you plan on playing at 1080p, as the cards you're looking at are best suited to that resolution. That being the case, the 6gb on the 1660 will be fine.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £504.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)

An example of what I mean by pricing^

I'd take any of those over a 1660 at those prices, but when the difference is £15 if you "must" buy from that specific shop the 1660 is probably the better option for you.

I'd actually recommend contacting the store and asking them if they'd be willing to price match, tell them that if they're not that you'll be buying the GPU from elsewhere. No harm in trying your luck, they might be happy to do so given the money you're spending.

Edit: Added a Gigabyte 580 to the list, worth noting that while it's more expensive it has UK based customer support and an extra year manufacturer warranty.

Edit2/PS: A single fan 1660 is fine, they don't generate a lot of heat compared to the 580/590 cards.

1660 sounds good enough to me im using a 1080p monitor. all set now will let you know once it arrives

Soldato
That's good to know mate, glad you've came to a conclusion.

Let us know how things go once you receive the system, and of course if you've anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

Associate
OP
Just to let you know i got my pc and im well happy with it! runs lovely.

Im currentley using a AOC monitor TN 1080p 60mhz

I was wondering am i getting the most out of my graphics card (1660 GTX) and if i should upgrade to a 144mhz 1080? or even go for a 1440? Same with switching to a IPS Pannel?

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom