Buying a Property in France (For Renovation)

Soldato
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a place in France to renovate & then sell on in the near future. The Value of the property is to be approx. 35-50k.

What steps do I need to take? I'll assume the mortgage would be from a French lender? As much information as possible would be truely helpful. As for deposit, what am I looking at?

Thanks,

Adam

Soldato
where are you buying?
From personal experience I can tell you that with perfect French, the estate agents are ******* ****s.
but good luck: you'll need it.

I'm assuming you are fluent in French too? If not forget it mate, as they'll make it an horrible experience for you (unfortunately).

Can't help you with deposit values, but beware of the Famous French Bureaucracy. It sucks big time and made me homeless in france for 5 weeks.

Soldato
Saw one of those "Holiday Homes from Hell" shows the other night with a couple who bought a huge property in France, cost an absolute buttload, then they spent double the money renovating it and doing it all up as a home.

Suddenly, some guy appears out of the blue saying that HIS offer was accepted first on the property and he should own it. He hadn't paid a thing, they had paid in full. They had BOUGHT the place.

The French court, and Court of Appeal, didn't think so and ruled that he was the official owner, simply because he had a bit of paper saying his offer was accepted.

In a nutshell, be careful - make sure you have all your bases covered legally as it's a much different minefield than we have here.

Back
Top Bottom