1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an e-bike

Discussion in 'Pedal Powered' started by hornetstinger, Feb 13, 2018.

1. hornetstinger

Soldato

I am fit, and cycle 4.9 miles per day going to work, so return journey is 9.8 miles mon-fri. On a regular bicycle. Each ride takes about 25-30 minutes. For a 2.5 hour shift. This is fine physically. Plus my other job which is about 5-10 minutes away.

However I am possibly moving further away, so I could possibly be riding a further 5.8 miles, going from back and forth, so possibly upto 31 miles per day. Then I have another job, as well.

I was thinking then maybe having a e-bike would help, making those longer journeys feel more like the 30 minute ride.

I would prefer road bike style e-bike. Are there any that will pace me along to 20mph or so?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes-road-eplus

Any opinions on e-bikes how much will it help etc.

2. McGray

Mobster

I've been looking into these for my wife.

I must admit those days when the wind is in your face and you're cycling uphill one of these would be great.

Edit: At that price I'd probably just get a motorbike.

3. Freakbro

Capodecina

'an e-bike' ;)

4. wesley

Soldato

motorbike

5. Rannoch

Soldato

I had a Volt X Alpine, battery was immense but it was a heavy beast. I used mine on forest racks at Rannoch.

6. touch

Capodecina

Not legally. The max speed for electric assist is 15.5mph. You can pedal it faster but the motor wont help you out.

7. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

Do you have 3 jobs, OP? Can any of them offer financial assistance if you were to buy an e-bike?

8. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Never understood these e-bikes to be honest.

The whole point of a bicycle is to get from A to B under your own power. It's a healthy way of getting about and getting some exercise.

Otherwise just get a moped.

9. savagesam117

Mobster

I love riding off road, and going down the hills is great, riding back up them to go again, no thanks. E bikes make that possible!

10. Outcast

Mobster

Gammy knee ?

The whole point of an e-bike is no (or little) overheads.

Although the e-bikes on the op's link look great there aint no way I'd pay £3.5k for one !
    Having said that I really like the Michael Blast e-bikes.

Build one yourself. Lots of fun - MUCH cheaper and more powerful with more range.

11. LabR@t

Sgarrista

Can you overclock it? what

12. FishFluff

Soldato

Is it though? Cycling means different things to different people. There's a chap in my cycling club who rides an e-bike. He's 80 years old and without it would probably have had to give up the sport he loves. With the e-bike he doesn't get dropped on the hills and can continue with the weekly social rides. They're also great for carrying heavy loads like a weekly supermarket shop.

Obviously if your primary enjoyment from cycling is the physical challenge, then no, e-bikes are probably not for you. But they open cycling as a form of transport up to a much bigger audience and, in my opinion, that can only be a good thing!

13. lordrobs

Capodecina

For many people it is simply about getting from A to B and thats it. Maybe they don't have a drivers licence, no where to park at home or work, traffic is bad so it is quicker on 2 wheels, they don't want to add to the pollution in their town etc.

You still get exercise on an e-bike, you can just decide how much rather than the terrain and/or winds dictating that for you.

14. stockhausen

Capodecina

Hopefully an increasing number of people think about pollution. A regular bicycle would be the best solution but anything is better than a car.

15. jimjamuk

Mobster

Im sure I looked at e-bikes about 18 months ago and £600-£1000 was the going rate - just looked now and it seems £2k-£3k+

The bike frame is just that so this extra is for the battery plus a motor???

16. Outcast

Mobster

My e-bike was just under £700 when I bought it around 8 years ago. Here it is now
    http://www.powacycle.co.uk/Salisbury-Li-Ion-Electric-Bike.asp

Recently I've changed the hub motor and obviously the battery too.
    I chose 48v but now I have experience I realise I should've chosen the 72v option.

Hey Ho. It's still great fun.

If anyone does decide to build their own then

• Decide placement of motor. Front hub (like a front wheel drive car), Mid or Rear hub.
    • Balance matters. I have a rear hub motor & battery on the rear rack. It's hella heavy on the rear.
    • Frame. The battery has to go somewhere and so does the Controller (Think balance)
    • Hard tail or suspension ? It's going to be a heavy bike. Hard tail DOES feel the bumps - HARD

17. amigafan2003

Capodecina

Odd, I thought the whole point of a bike for commuting purposes was as a form of transport.

If I want exercise I go to the gym.

Could I take a moped on cycle paths, canal tow paths and bridleways?

18. amigafan2003

Capodecina

Actually, yes :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  19. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I thought exactly like you 6 years ago and then realised the whole point is to get to A to B like any journey.
    My commute to work in a car is a nightmare because when I get there I have a 20 minute walk from the car park and that's even if I had a moped.
    I'm on the waiting list for two new knees through running marathons so about a year into cycling to work I needed help so bought an e-Bike.
    If I had a moped I would still get stuck in traffic and still have to do the 20 minute walk.
    I now have two converted e-Bikes and I can by-pass 90% of the traffic by keeping to paths, cycle lanes etc and I can save 20 mins per journey because I don't have to walk, driving in a car to the car park takes me the same time as cycling to outside my office.
    I'm the only person in an office of 100 who never complains about commuting & parking - get in.

It's the future.

Oh yeah, and sometimes because I can, I will get home from work absolutely knackered because I've pushed myself hard so still get the exercise I had on my normal bike if not more.

20. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

AmigaFan is an expert on e-Bikes and the first person I would ask for advice.
    I'm pretty sure he would say don't buy an e-Bike off the shelf, buy a decent bike and convert it.
    I started of with a Cyclotricity Stealth and ended up converting a Trek MTB and Trek Hybrid with Cyclotricity electrics and I'm very happy.