Buying clothes, sizing, general rant why does it have to be so difficult

Caporegime
It's a minefield.

Even shoe sizes that are supposed to be the same can differ noticeably between makes.

Don't get me started on trousers that seem to designed for people with no muscle on their calves or thighs.

That's why as a teen you find your perfect Adidas be it Samba, Spezial, Gazelle etc and just buy them for the rest of your life. I must be on my 20th+ pair over the years! Size ten and fits like a glove. Classic Adidas shoes just go with everything.

Trousers are a pain for me as I am 34W 33/34 inside leg which is uncommon. I am 190cm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hate shopping for clothes as I have huge issues with sizing and fit.

Desperately need some new work shirts but just don't know where to go for them these days. Haven't bought any new work shirts since before COVID. I went to Matalan the other day as I used to get some from there, and the selection was terrible.

Associate
OP
Jesus ******* christ, I fully expected some rant about the maid outfit that took 6 weeks shipping from China to be sized for a pineapple with legs, but no.

Just go to a shop like Gap or River Island and buy some tech bro stuff. its not that ******* complicated.

thanks for that, did I mention I find it very difficult to find time to go to the shops, its not that ******* hard to read the post

Associate
OP
It really depends on the cut and style of what you are buying…

More and more bands are labelling/tagging their clothes with the way they want you to wear it or the type of cut.

baggy, oversize, loose, 80s, dad… are all supposed to be bigger to different degrees and will have more room.

Tight, skinny, muscular, italian are all smaller cuts with little or no room.

A lot of stores be it online or on the high street don’t transfer that information across when displaying/advertising clothes, it’s often best to look on the manufactures site then Google search the item to see if another store sells it cheaper, some stores will make good suggest for similar items once you get to that page.

Also depends on what the style of the item is… on Monday I took two Ralph Lauren tops out for work.. popped on the crew top and there was no room for imagination and as I had on baggy jeans already and didn’t want to look like MC hammer sat in the middle of the office, I decided to wear the other one which was a long sleeve t shirt.. that you couldn’t see my chest move when I breathe and wanted to look like NKOTB instead.

Both tops are large in size (170cm) as I checked the label, as I was thinking of donating the skin tight one. Lol

There’s certain shops that is just a waste of time for me to go in… All Saints used to be great before they opened up high street shops, now all the clothes.. I can’t get my arms down the sleeves without going up serval sizes and then the rest of the garment looks over sized..

Some shops like Superdry are more of my thing when it comes to fitting, nice and loose if only they didn’t splatter their label like it was the 90s GAP on most of their items..

I’m just at that age now, when I know what I like and what stores sells it.. so I stick to my lane. :)

Also skinny jeans on men should be ban… especially the ones that are baggy at the top and have skinny legs, it looks like they poo’d themselves and haven’t had the chance to empty out their jeans. they don’t look good on any bloke unless they are wearing it drag/cross dressing (respect!), thank god baggy jeans are making a come back.

Yeah agree with the skinny jeans, though I do own 1 pair mostly cos the missus bought them a few years bag for Xmas.

I usually look at slim stuff as it fits about right most the time, but things just seem to have gone a bit wild and the slim, skinny regular just has no pattern.

Associate
OP
im not the adult that cant clothe myself.... but yeah ok...

Ha ha, no your the adult that appears inept at being able to read, but ok..

Seems to be a few people that have similar issues, it's not about not being able to not clothe myself it's about the huge disparity in sizing, if you could read you'd understand that.

But you do you bud, if you want to act like a d*** then that's your perogative

Soldato
Or with ladies’ tops, no consideration for those with muscular arms. Lost count in the number of returns I have done because the sleeves are too tight. It’s lifting totes of 18 kg of bananas and 22kg totes of spuds that creates muscle
My OH has the problem with shoulders, she's got swimmers shoulders rather than dainty little twigs they seem to design clothes for.

Not that she swims. :)

Caporegime
Ha ha, no your the adult that appears inept at being able to read, but ok..

Seems to be a few people that have similar issues, it's not about not being able to not clothe myself it's about the huge disparity in sizing, if you could read you'd understand that.

But you do you bud, if you want to act like a d*** then that's your prerogative
Write to your MP i guess?

And for the record i never act like a d*** i act like a c***.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't really have a problem with clothes although I do tend to buy the same brands and they seem to be consistent.

Shoes however! When is an inch not an inch? Or a centimetre not a centimetre?

As others have said, shoe sizing is simply ridiculous. I've worn a size 7 shoe for over 40 years so I was fairly confident in ordering a pair of work boots in a 7, to discover that they are a whole size too big.

I returned them and ordered a 6. I still need thick socks! Harrumph!

Caporegime
I don't really have a problem with clothes although I do tend to buy the same brands and they seem to be consistent.

Shoes however! When is an inch not an inch? Or a centimetre not a centimetre?

As others have said, shoe sizing is simply ridiculous. I've worn a size 7 shoe for over 40 years so I was fairly confident in ordering a pair of work boots in a 7, to discover that they are a whole size too big.

I returned them and ordered a 6. I still need thick socks! Harrumph!

Yeah I find brands quite consistent too. At least there's that

Man of Honour
27" thighs are always going to be a problem with the prevalence of skinny jeans. Especially when you wear 34" at the waist at the most. It's not fun or easy.

I've had to buy so many jeans/trousers and returned just as many over the years. In fact for ***** and giggles I checked how many pairs I bought last year. 38 pairs of trousers. 3 fit. They ALL had the same measures.

I don't have time for custom stuff. My clothes are disposable items, don't give a toss about fashion I just want to be comfortable.

Soldato
Im so fed up of trying to buy clothes.

Trousers that are designed for men with no muscle, so you look like a sausage. Tight on the thighs and calves and baggy around the waist/knees.

Shirts that are either too short so every time you reach up there’s a inch of flesh showing or doesn’t take into account of muscle so you struggle to extend forward or role the sleeves up over your forearms.

Only jeans I’ve found that fit are Levi’s 541s but they are soo expensive her compared to the us

Soldato
Yeah I find brands quite consistent too. At least there's that
Buying the same brand doesn't always work either though. I ordered two different pairs of size 9 Clarkes, and one was more like a size 8 when it turned up.
If you can't actually try stuff on in a shop then it's just pot luck.

Back
Top Bottom