Buying meat online

Associate
I’ve noticed the prices, and quality of supermarket meat is getting worse, I’ve seen before on here that quite a few people order meat online.

Does anyone have one they’d recommend and use on a regular basis?

I’m really looking for somewhere that offers the meat well trimmed as well, so there’s less time prepping it and I despise paying for fat and gristle that goes straight in the bin...

Thanks in advance

Man of Honour
Musclefood do surprisingly good stuff (so I hear) and regularly offer new customer discounts/etc.

I'm personally a huge fan of Turner and George - a bit more expensive but definitely awesome quality stuff.

If you have specific cut requirements you're probably best off speaking to your butcher. Most fat isn't particularly excessive on the most common cuts and removing silverskin is extremely time-consuming (and also just isn't feasible sometimes without turning the meat into what is essentially 'trimmings').

Soldato
Can you buy nice meat online for the same prices or better than supermarkets if so cool and where if not ill stick to supermarkets or butchers when im in as there not that bad. Afterall meat is meat at the end of the day tho aged meat can differ but when have i ever had aged meat like u see on utube other than supermarkets meat that looks fresh but says aged for 31 days or somit.

Tho i really wana try a good farmers market sausage when there in town, should be tasty i think.

Man of Honour
Most meat you buy online will be a similar price to the "premium" supermarket meat but of a higher quality/better animal treatment. I believe you can get some very cheap stuff from MuscleFood though.

Compared to a butcher the meat you buy online will probably be of a similar price but if you can find a good butcher and make friends with them by being a regular customer it's likely you can get more for your money from the butcher. Not everyone has the option of a good butcher though.

edit:

Another thing I recommend if you're looking to get better meat for less money is to do stuff like always buy chickens whole and butcher them yourself (it's a very quick job - 5-10 minutes once you know what you're doing and I'm sure some people can do it in far less). For a few quid you'll get two chicken breasts, two thighs, two drumsticks and a carcass that can be turned into very decent quality stock.

Associate
Very lucky where I live, there is a family run wholesale butchers nearby, they have a storefront on the warehouse which is awesome. I really need to get a chest freezer as they do stuff like 5KG of chicken breasts for £20 and 2.5KG of thighs for £7

Man of Honour
Where have people seen ox cheeks for a good price? I looked before on a bunch of sites but nowhere could compete with Waitrose when it came to their £7.49/kg on Aberdeen Angus ox cheeks.

I was about to post what I thought was cheap with generic Tesco ox cheeks but...they cost me more than your heritage breed ones :p

Soldato
I've used Musclefood without any issues on and off over the last few years.

I've used GreatBritishMeatCo recently too and was very impressed with the quality & service.

http://www.greatbritishmeat.com/

It's not always cheaper online for certain things, particularly with Musclefood, if you have an Aldi/Lidl locally.

Soldato
How long does the stuff from Muscle Food keep for? I've not got a ton of freezer space but if I could whack some of it in the fridge for a few days until its all eaten I might have to grab one of those hampers!

Back
Top Bottom