Buying new Speakers

Associate
Hello. I am looking to buy a new pair of speakers since i want to upgrade my sound experience too other than the visual experience (waiting for a new monitor to arrive). I have right now the Logitech Z506, and well i am kind of disappointed. First of all 5.1 does not work for me as i have troubles placing the rear speakers to a place that it doesn't bother me. While the experience is decent, i decided to go to a better solution.

I previously owned the Logitech Z443 and was quite happy. Now i am looking to buy the Edifier R1800T III. It will cost me around 110€. I think it's a good price for what they offer. My only concern is about the base. I give a priority to movies and games, and then to music. I also don't like too much bass. Actually i use the bass volume around 50% on both Logitech speakers i own. Turning it up higher and it kind of annoys me. I was looking at the Edifier mainly because they are big and will provide a good solution (except the normal use and gaming i do at my chair) when i watch movies on my TV from the couch (which i have connected to my PC).

Do you think that the Edifier will cover my needs? Or will i get disappointed with the bass?

Soldato
Edifier's stereo speakers are very good, but whether you'll be disappointed with the bass, is hard to say. They do have tone controls for bass and treble, which is pretty uncommon for that type of speaker. That will help to boost it further than you'd get naturally from a speaker of that size.

If gaming and movies are more a priority, maybe 2.1 would be a better choice again. Edifier C2XD are a decent choice for similar money. I remember two forum members bought those after both guy's Corsair SP2500 speakers failed. Both of them were pleased with the C2XD, despite them being £80 cheaper than the SP2500.

Associate
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 can be had for laughably cheap these days and they sound better than any of the speakers mentioned in this thread thus far imho.
Bass from a 2.0 pair of speakers is very different from bass from a sub, and is more dependant on room size, shape, and contents. It's a crap shoot. Get the promedias. You won't be disappointed. They can be had for $100 Canadian so I would guess maybe 80-100 pound. Totally worth it.

gEd

gEd

Associate
The Edifier R1800T have a sloping front baffle designed for use when sitting at a desk. If you are sat down on a sofa, I wonder if there might be a potential problem with the drivers pointing upwards from where your ears are and spoil the sound stage and balance?
Just a thought for consideration.

As an aside, I just bought my son a pair of
Edifier E25 Luna Eclipse to use with his laptop at uni. They sound superb (and I am a bit of a hi-fi guy).

Soldato
The Edifier R1800T have a sloping front baffle designed for use when sitting at a desk. If you are sat down on a sofa, I wonder if there might be a potential problem with the drivers pointing upwards from where your ears are and spoil the sound stage and balance?
Just a thought for consideration.

That's a good point. 1280T would be better choice for listening at a distance.

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 can be had for laughably cheap these days and they sound better than any of the speakers mentioned in this thread thus far imho.
Bass from a 2.0 pair of speakers is very different from bass from a sub, and is more dependant on room size, shape, and contents. It's a crap shoot. Get the promedias. You won't be disappointed. They can be had for $100 Canadian so I would guess maybe 80-100 pound. Totally worth it.

So, laughably cheap from Canada? What about shipping and import duty cost?

Back
Top Bottom