Buying online and providing the incorrect address - did the business help?

Consigliere
As topic really, looking for feedback / experience when you have purchased online.

When a customer emails my team to say they have made an error with their address, realised after we have processed and its in transit, we stop the original and re-send the order using the correct address.

In your experience, is this 'normal' behaviour? Or is it above and beyond what you'd expect?

How do i make a poll or has that gone? :o

1) I'd expect this service
2) Above and beyond

Importantly, any real examples of a business doing this for you?

Last edited:
Already in transit, that's good customer service, not shipped yet, I'd expect it and have been disappointed by some companies before due to my apparently high expectations.

I've never messed up my address, but I guess what I'd expect is the original package getting redirected to the corrected address, so maybe a couple of days delay while that happens. I wouldn't expect the company to have two units in flight due to my mistake. I wouldn't expect to pay again for shipping though, I'd expect the price to cover these scenarios.

I don't have real examples as I've never done that.

I think redirected is fair enough, 100% you have to take a delay as your own fault for not putting your address in.

What if you put in the wrong address, then whoever it was took delivery, and it was say a £2500 PC which you then couldn't get back from the wrong person?

I once ordered a oil filter wrench from an eBay seller, although it was also an established retailer, actually similar to OCUK, instead of my wrench, value maybe £15, I got delivered a full Sealey socket set worth probably about £150, the guy rang me and I was honest about it and they came to pick it up the next day or two, but I guess I could have denied all knowledge.

Stopping/Recalling a parcel in transit and resending to correct address = excellent customer service, imo.

Edit:especially if it was the customers error.

Last edited:
I've never messed up my address,
It's shockingly easy when you've moved and failed/forgotten to change the default address on a rarely used retailer. I managed it twice via Box on the same day, contacted both sellers within ten minutes of placing the order, one seller happily changed it, the other refused point blank and refused to cancel the order as well, three days later they shipped it to the old address.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever ordered anything to the wrong address (apart from maybe to my parents house rather than my uni address, but didn't try and cancel them so not really relevant) so not sure, but in terms of general cancellations a lot of companies seem to somehow be unable to cancel an order whether or not it's been dispatched yet, which is very poor customer service.

I did once order a book from amazon, it arrived damaged so I complained. They sent another one out, but to an old address I'd not used in years :confused: (and therefore was lost). Complained again and they sent it out to the address I'd originally ordered it to.

I'd say stopping an order when it's already in transit and resending the item to the correct address sounds like pretty good customer service to me. It probably shouldn't be 'above and beyond', but compared to a lot of companies it probably is.

I think if the incorrect address was my error then I wouldn't begrudge having to pay an extra postage fee though.

Last edited:
It's shockingly easy when you've moved and failed/forgotten to change the default address on a rarely used retailer. I managed it twice via Box on the same day, contacted both sellers within ten minutes of placing the order, one seller happily changed it, the other refused point blank and refused to cancel the order as well, three days later they shipped it to the old address.
Or they've got one of those drop down boxes for the house number.
I had it happen a few years back with the mouse cursor moving slightly when I went to press the button and I didn't realise until after I'd pressed submit order.
The retailer was able to amend it before it shipped.

ve done it with ocuk and they have stopped it before it when out of the door. But that was to cancel an order.

Not sure I would expect them to do it if it was my error. I would expect they to try and help get it back tho. You can't usually speak to the delivery company if your not the sender

Back
Top Bottom