Cable management... Service?

Central location, I use a KVM switch on my desk so saves me reaching down and under the desk where the dark unlit USB ports are (and only USB2 on the front anyway)

Only drawback would be if you're transferring a lot of data ie from one USB HDD to another USB HDD, that could overload the USB bandwidth and be slower than using two dedicated motherboard USB ports.

Fine for lots of devices ie mice keyboard joysticks etc
I don't think I'll be needing a kvm as I only have one pc so I don't really need to switch between anything it's more for just easy access to unplugging and plugging in usb devices. At the moment I have a whole bunch of usb stuff all plugged into the back of the pc and I think it's one of the more difficult parts of the cable management to be honest, just looking at my setup right now I have about 6 or 7 usb devices connected and they're all feeding into the back of the pc and it's just a tangle of cables...

As long as the cables aren't touching rotating parts, hot parts etc, and not absolutely terrible ie old style wide PATA cables totally blocking airflow, who cares
It's more a mental thing, if you care mentally, bothered, OCD , autism etc, then it really bothers you, it would drive me bonkers if my cabling was off, esp if I had a window case, which I don't!

Last edited:
got a picture of your desk or the area you need cleaned.. £80ph is bonkers tbh... i'd probs do it for £80 for the whole day depending on access/difficulty.. since i like building computers in general.. i'd just do it as a hobby. Where abouts in North London..

I'll have to look around my study but i'm sure i can donate a couple usb hubs etc

Last edited:
got a picture of your desk or the area you need cleaned.. £80ph is bonkers tbh... i'd probs do it for £80 for the whole day depending on access/difficulty.. since i like building computers in general.. i'd just do it as a hobby. Where abouts in North London..

I'll have to look around my study but i'm sure i can donate a couple usb hubs etc

yeah £80 is a rip off

I could do with £10, with a can of expanding foam to hide those ugly cables :cry:

another thing I was thinking of doing was getting a nice big USB hub and just having all my peripherals going into that as opposed to using the onboard ports, which I can't reach without help. Any particular disadvantages to doing this?
Does mean all the wires to the hub will be visible
So depends whether that would bother you
Plus probably need to securely fix the hub
Wouldn't be the first time my hub has been pulled off
The desk
And ended up behind the desk by weight of wires
Thank God for a good set of paper pickers

Maybe 2 hubs rather than try to run everything of one
Not the cheapest ones by any means
But streamplify make some that you can insert little plastic icons
That illuminate
So you actually know which wire is which
Going into the hub
Seen them in ocuk B section before

Yeah... So I just got quoted:

£285.00 + material 40 + VAT

Thankfully, one of my friends who is coming up to London to pay me a visit anyway said he'll do it for a Five Guys burger and a can of coke! Here's hoping it all goes well, I will probably buy some supplies though to help with the cable management itself, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions?

Yeah... So I just got quoted:

£285.00 + material 40 + VAT

Thankfully, one of my friends who is coming up to London to pay me a visit anyway said he'll do it for a Five Guys burger and a can of coke! Here's hoping it all goes well, I will probably buy some supplies though to help with the cable management itself, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions?

LOL.

for what? Tidying some cabling up?

That guys is a total rip off.

£40 for a box of 5000 cable ties and a couple quid for a screw driver

also +VAT.. not Inc.. so i'm guessing £390-400.. damn.. i'm definately in the wrong job

For suggestions with cable tidy:

Depends how far you want to go with it.

Basic:
all you need are a pack of cable ties.. you can get 200 from Amazon for a fiver.

I use a bunch of these hanging on the back of the desk, so i can pull/retract cables.. thought would be nice havign a auto retractable cable reel..

Depending on size of desk, and if you have a large number of required power sockets, a under desk cable try is possible. Ikea do a few or

Semi-Professional:
Cable Raceway which you can stick to your walls/skirting board

Last edited:
I neatly lay the power cables and extension down nice and tidy, plug everything in, then 6 months later it looks like a rats nest even though I rarely unplug anything from under my desk. Unless you have OCD, it's dirty or the other half is nagging you to tidy it up, I'd let it be.

Inside the PC I don't get. I rarely dip inside my PC when it's working and it's not like I bought it to stare at. :D

I neatly lay the power cables and extension down nice and tidy, plug everything in, then 6 months later it looks like a rats nest even though I rarely unplug anything from under my desk. Unless you have OCD, it's dirty or the other half is nagging you to tidy it up, I'd let it be.

Inside the PC I don't get. I rarely dip inside my PC when it's working and it's not like I bought it to stare at. :D
likewise. Unless you don't touch the cables at the back or you are not adding/removing anything.. it will always get messy again given time. I've gotten to the point where i can't be bothered tidying because of this

I used some slotted trunking - about £20 from the rain forest

Velcro cable ties - a bit easier when moving stuff in future than tie wraps

Cable management sleeve for all the cables going to the back of the PC

Some self adhesive cable ties

And finally, some magnetic cable clips which are great for stuff like charger cables that you want to tuck out the way and access from time to time.

Probably about £50 of gear all in and managed to get my dual system set up (work and gaming) to no visible wires

Back
Top Bottom