• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cablemod 12VHPWR adapter recall

Associate
Also, melting isn't the only issue - pushing connector hard in to lock it in place in FE cards can cause connector to physically fail (as in the other video I linked) plus there are random instability issues caused by connector losing contact at times even if it's fully plugged in etc. (again video by Derbauer and other people).
I've experienced this myself - with cablemod cable I had random black screens. It's totally gone with Seasonic cable. Mine is a bit safer, since I have watercooled card, so pcb/connector is nowhere near as hot as with air cooling.

Soldato
Cablemod set themselves up for a fail by introducing any adapter for these connectors that were known not to be 100% reliable and they went and created another point of failure, anyone that knows anything about electric wiring and power delivery knows more point to the delivery point will equal higher rates of failure.

Also Cablemod didn't do themselves any favours too with the none stop spamming social media and every place they could advertise these dangerous products that they knew cost nothing to make but will sell easily at very high margins, only good thing they did was they repaired peoples cards that melted with their adapters but again they had to as it was also their product that was causing the issue and endangering their customers with the risk of a house fire. So again Karma strikes again I think... so no pity for Cablemod as they had enough evidence the connector and their adapter was a fire risk and damages peoples products too.

Suspended
Cablemod set themselves up for a fail by introducing any adapter for these connectors that were known not to be 100% reliable and they went and created another point of failure, anyone that knows anything about electric wiring and power delivery knows more point to the delivery point will equal higher rates of failure.

Also Cablemod didn't do themselves any favours too with the none stop spamming social media and every place they could advertise these dangerous products that they knew cost nothing to make but will sell easily at very high margins, only good thing they did was they repaired peoples cards that melted with their adapters but again they had to as it was also their product that was causing the issue and endangering their customers with the risk of a house fire. So again Karma strikes again I think... so no pity for Cablemod as they had enough evidence the connector and their adapter was a fire risk and damages peoples products too.

I blame Nvidia for doggedly sticking with a flawed design.

Associate
I've experienced this myself - with cablemod cable I had random black screens. It's totally gone with Seasonic cable. Mine is a bit safer, since I have watercooled card, so pcb/connector is nowhere near as hot as with air cooling.
I use Corsair cable as I have Corsair PSU and had no issues myself. But internet revealed to me that even with this some people had issues. At least I didn't have to hammer it in, unlike the stock connector in the box, which just refused to lock itself in place without excessive force.

Back
Top Bottom