Cables/Stand/Setting up help required!

Soldato
Howdy everyone.

Well it has been put off for nearly 8 months but I have now finally started to get my home cinema taking shape.

Current Setup right at this moment is:

Samsung 32" LCD
PC with X800 XT PE gfx card
Xbox, Xbox 360, Gamecube
Epos 5.1 speakers and sub
Canare Scorpion sub cable
QED Silver cable for rears and QED Silver Anniversary edition for fronts
2 Atacama Black stands
Some crappy wood stand from lidl to house all the stuff on
Sennheiser RS140 Wireless Headphones

So here's what I need to help with. On Saturday I ordered a Denon ARV-2807 amp. I'm going to need some more interconnects to get the best out of my setup. I have an idea on what cables I need but I don't want to spend to much and then I don't want to spend to little.

So I want all AV stuff to go through the amp first. So Xbox and Xbox 360 are component and Gamecube is composite. In the future I'm going to get a HD DVD player so that will be plugged straight into the amp. I watch TV at night so I am going to use the mute option on the samsung and output the sound to my amp.

So what I think I need is a HDMI cable from Amp to the TV and a Stereo RCA cable from TV to amp. Oh and a mains cable for my sub because it didn't come with a 3 pin plug.

Think this is all the cables I need. Unless someone can point out anything else?

Now my center speaker... at the moment its on the floor next to my bed. Looks like I am going to need a new AV stand to sort all my crap out. Here's a pic of my current setup. As you can see there is no room for my amp.

http://tob3z.com/stuff/setup5.JPG

Oh and here's a picture with my center speaker on it.

http://tob3z.com/stuff/center.JPG

So I am looking for something cheap and nice. Has to be glass or metal. No wood. From the picture the length of the stand can go as far as the start of the dvd rack and further and my door would hit it. Will have a good measure as soon as I find a tape measure :confused:

OK the max width the stand can be is 30 inches.

Moving on to the setting up part. I haven't got the amp yet so I don't know what I am going to do yet. But I had a problem with the 2105... it kind of blew up. So just to be sure it would be awesome if someone could point out any settings which they know will have to be set up right according to my speakers.

Think that's about it for the moment. I wrote this up when I was up late last night and only have got round to posting it now so if there's anything wrong or stupid just slap me round the head.

Associate
The auto set up is pretty much spot on, it will tell you what speakers are connected, if they are in phase, distances etc. If you can do the setup from all six different positions (Its all in the manual) it will help. I've got my gear wired as follows

XBOX 360 - Component in
Dreamcast - Composite in
DVD - Component in
Sky - Component in
AV2807 - HDMI to Plasma
The good thing is you can rename all the inputs on the receiver to what you want.The other setting you will want to look at is telling the receiver what inputs are on which connection ie DVD = Component 1, Coax 1. Apart from that its a cracking piece of kit, what colour did you go for?

Soldato
OP
The name thing is awesome.. the 2105 didn't do that and I was slightly aggravated as it should.

I went for black as I prefer black setups :)
Emailed stoneaudio and they updated there site and added black options to all the Denon amps. Most excellent of them :D

Cheers for the info. I was reading some US forums today and they were saying they are having problems with the HDMI. But sounds like it's all going well for you. ;)

Associate
I went for silver but received black so had to send it back, got my silver one though. When you get yours don't do what I did and try and remove the piece of plastic on the top grill, it won't come off (Apparantly it a new european safety guard, people with sensitive skin were getting irratations from the warm metal - I'm not making this up!!!!!). Yeah the name thing is cool.

Associate
april060369qe.jpg

You can just about see the cover on the grill on the right.

Soldato
OP
Yeh they had that on the 2105. Didn't really know what it did but it didhn't look like it should come off :p
How long did you wait for yours? I had to phone up on Saturday because I didn't eneter the credit card number in right and I really need it here for friday because of a house party I am having.

Back
Top Bottom