Cables

Associate
Are ethernet cables actually just coaxial cables? Could someone explain the differences?

Also what type of cables are used in the NTL network (in house, street lines, server)?

Man of Honour
Ethernet cables aren't co-ax they're twisted pair cables. In fact they're actually bundles of 4 twisted pairs so 8 cores in total - the pairs are twisted around each other to reduce crosstalk and interference. Co-ax on the other hand only contains two conductors, a (usually) solid single core and a grounded braided shield with a plastic separator. The signal doesn't actually travel down the centre conductor, rather it travels as an electromagnetic wave down the space between the shield and the central core.

Not sure of the details of the NTL network but I imagine it will be fibre optic in the main (I think they're trunk backhauls are actually leased from BT) with co-ax from the street to the set top boxes.

Soldato
rpstewart said:
Ethernet cables aren't co-ax they're twisted pair cables. In fact they're actually bundles of 4 twisted pairs so 8 cores in total - the pairs are twisted around each other to reduce crosstalk and interference. Co-ax on the other hand only contains two conductors, a (usually) solid single core and a grounded braided shield with a plastic separator. The signal doesn't actually travel down the centre conductor, rather it travels as an electromagnetic wave down the space between the shield and the central core.

Not sure of the details of the NTL network but I imagine it will be fibre optic in the main (I think they're trunk backhauls are actually leased from BT) with co-ax from the street to the set top boxes.
ethernet cables CAN BE CO-AX!
thin net and thick net are BOTH co-ax
10 base 5 is co ax,
10 base T is cat 5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_physical_layer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varieties_of_Ethernet

back at school we had a nice little bus network over 10 base 2

co ax networks where still used in some situations untill recently
they have aprox 2x the max lenth of cat5 cabels

Last edited:
Man of Honour
VeNT said:
ethernet cables CAN BE CO-AX!
thin net and thick net are BOTH co-ax
10 base 5 is co ax,
10 base T is cat 5

Gahh, I forgot about those. I can just about remember playing Doom on a wee 10 base 2 bus network a long, long, long time ago. 8 bit, 3/4 length ISA LAN cards :eek: Those were the days....

Caporegime
NTL also uses coax for more than just the drop cable (i.e. the thing running from the street to your house) - there's coax right back to the fibre splitters (big green box that isn't necessarily at the end of your street). NTL reckoned all/most of their users were attached to less than 1km of coax.

Back
Top Bottom