Calculating cost of changing cars to save money each each?

Soldato
buying a newer car is never cheaper unless your current car is extremely unreliable and falling apart everywhere and expensive to fix.

spending £10K to save £200 a year on road tax would be like me spending £5K on a tv to save £50 a year in electricity over a plasma.

cars are depreciating assets.

Try explain that to my wife, when we were buying a car she just could not see spending an extra 5k on a car with cheaper road tax and slightly better mpg is not going to save you anything

Soldato
My Zoe is ~1.4p/mile, works out at about £200/year doing ~14k (well, probably more like £250 taking into account the odd public charge)

The calc uses the national average for electricity in which case the Zoe comes out at 4.1p per mile :p

Clearly not representative of lower tariffs such as Economy 7 etc.

My cost would be less as they used 16.5p per kwh but it was just a quick calc to show in that in this case the old and new Fords were potentially only £15 per month different. EVs were a possible way to make a big difference excluding everything else!

My previous car was a perfectly good Celica circa 2003 which my pops GAVE to me as he couldn't drive it any longer. I just repeat to myself but it saves me £100 per month ... but it saves me £100 per month. So only another 12 years to reach ROI!

Last edited:
Soldato
The calc uses the national average for electricity in which case the Zoe comes out at 4.1p per mile :p

Ah, fair enough, that makes more sense :)

16.5p per kwh

:eek::eek::eek:

I worked out my Zoe is "saving" me ~£220/month in petrol, tax and insurance vs running the 13 year old Civic it replaced, its still costing me ~£100/month extra overall, but in 5 years time it should (hopefully!!) still be worth something, whereas otherwise I would probably have had to spend a decent chunk of that in repairs/maintenance or on a replacement. I guess in reality it's probably not actually saving me much (if anything), but even if not, £100/month is still a decent price for a brand new car XD

If I'd gone for a 2nd hand one (was considering a 2017 Leaf) , then I probably would have saved a bit, but the range on an older generation EV would have quickly become a pain! ;)

Back
Top Bottom