Calisthenics - Who's using this as a core exercise?

Soldato
Hi All

I complete the Brighton Marathon last month after a long time training, now I can run for hours but can't do a unassisted pull up :(

So I've started to watch some Youtube feeds and got "How to build strong & lean Bodyweight Muscle" by Anthony Arvanitakis, so of the advanced exercises are way out of my strength but you have to start somewhere

Just wondered if there's anyone else doing this on the forums? Just trying to get some core strength back

:D

Associate
I did try it for awhile as my gym was a crossfit hybrid type of affair. Wasn't interested in it though in the end. It is useful for building core strength but personally i found there isn't anything it offered me over lifting weights. Infact i would say it hindered me in some regards because it can be hellish on your joints.

Best thing for pull ups is just keep at them and do back exercises too. I gradually added weights over time and now i can breeze through them.

Soldato
Honestly most of the core stuff is just about doing it.

Sounds silly but they are probably the most neglected body part, so they tend to be super tough to start but you would be surprised at how quick you see improvements.
Push ups, pull ups all have that tough beginner entry but decent progress vibe to them.

It never hurts to add them to the end of a routine

Associate
I've done solely home bodyweight routine for 3 months now.

I started with an upper body/lower body split, working out 6 days a week, but as I was also on a calorie deficit (trying to lose body fat at the same time as gain strength) I was getting burned out. So I switched to a Push/Pull/Legs x2 routine, so each group of muscles were only done 2x a week instead of 3x.

The equipment:
- a pull-up bar cost me £25
- resistance bands - I purchased 2x Purple (Large), 1x Small (Red) 1x Extra small (yellow), cost me about £20. The resistance bands were used to either give me assist on pull-ups, pistol squats, used as resistance in push-ups, shoulder press, lateral raises etc.

My routine was something like this: For all exercises I did 4 sets, and reps from 5 reps to 10. I started at 5 reps, worked my way up to 10, on all sets, before increasing the resistance/decreasing the assistance and starting at 5 reps again. Use as many bands as you require to get the right level of assistance/resistance.

I found this routine on Reddit, which worked wonders:

Push-day:

Push-ups, with resistance bands (youtube resistance band push-ups for example of how to do this)

Shoulder press with resistance bands (same as above, youtube resistance band shoulder press), can move to a single arm variant when it gets too easy

Lateral raises with resistance bands, hold one end of the resistance band down with the opposite foot, then typical lateral raise movement with the other end

Pull-day:

Pullups/chin-ups (rotate, chins important for biceps) with resistance bands used for assist (tie the resistance band around the pull-up bar in a loop-knot, put one foot/knee through the loop to give you assist)

Bent over rows with the resistance bands as your resistance. Hold one end of the loop down with both your feet, about shoulder width apart, lift the other end of the band(s) toward your stomach whilst bent over.

Inverted rows, using a broom (or the long bar part of your pullup bar) placed between two chairs

Leg day/ab day:

Resistance band aided pistol squats, I did this by using the resistance bands tied around my pull-up bar in the same manner as with pull-ups assistance, but instead of putting one knee through them put both legs through them (well, sat my bum back through the loop of the bands) so they are supporting you from underneath (placed just under your bum). Start with just regular bodyweight squats if the pistol squat with all bands as assistance is too difficult.

Edge of bedframe/steps Calf-raises using a backpack filled with whatever heavy stuff you can find at home (I used bags of rice)

Knee-raises using the pullup bar, with the resistance bands tied to something behind me and put around my ankles, so it gives me resistance as my legs are coming up (works abs)

Planks/side-planks hold for as long as you can

Hamstring curls - lay down on the floor on your back, with your bum raised, one leg used as support, and (whilst wearing socks on a wooden floor or having something underneath your feet that is slippery), extend one foot out and then bring it back in towards you, all whilst your working foot/heel are still touching the floor. This works your hamstrings and glutes, and you can make this harder by tying resistance bands to a heavy object/door handle and putting the foot you are working through them to add resistance. (Here's a 2 legged example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oimeUrwxEo0)

This routine will work all your major muscles. Shoulders (all 3 sides, front, back, side), your back, your chest, your biceps and triceps, abs (plus obliques), all of your legs etc. Anything specific you want to work that isn't covered can just be added on.

Soldato
OP
Wow thanks for taking the time to post @twistedheat im looking at resistance bands along with the other small bits of kit skipping rope etc so when I’m away from home or at the weekends I can just train

How have you found the journey since you started, have you progressed well and built lean muscle, I’m about 5’11 and around 12.6/8 stone I just want to loose some fat around the stomach/sides (there not a great deal as I’m a runner) and build my core strength

Associate
Wow thanks for taking the time to post @twistedheat im looking at resistance bands along with the other small bits of kit skipping rope etc so when I’m away from home or at the weekends I can just train

How have you found the journey since you started, have you progressed well and built lean muscle, I’m about 5’11 and around 12.6/8 stone I just want to loose some fat around the stomach/sides (there not a great deal as I’m a runner) and build my core strength

Yeah my progress has been pretty good so far. As I mentioned I'm on a calorie deficit as I have similar goals to you (lose some fat in the midsection, whilst gaining strength), so whilst my muscle gains have been relatively minimal to average it's not a surprise given my calorie deficit. I've gained about 1/4" on my arms, 1/2" inch on my upper legs, whilst losing around 2.5" inches around my midsection. This is in the last 2 months since I started tracking those three areas. The scale shows me down only 5lbs, but the difference in the mirror is significantly more. Likely as I've gained some muscle, and lost more fat.

As ever, you have to think of the exercise you do as the catalyst that starts/allows the process of change, but the actual changes will happen by way of your diet. High protein, low calories, if your goal is to lose fat.

Soldato
Follow fitnessfaqs on YouTube.

I've played around with it but nothing more, and there's only so much you can do for your legs with just body weight (I can pistol squat, shrimp squat and all that quite easily)... that said there are various things that cross over into yoga (since the modern practice at the advanced level is essentially gymnastics + mindfulness) and so I should probably work on some of calisthenic progressions since they're typically more systematic and programmed in a straightforward way.

Soldato
OP
Follow fitnessfaqs on YouTube.

I've played around with it but nothing more, and there's only so much you can do for your legs with just body weight (I can pistol squat, shrimp squat and all that quite easily)... that said there are various things that cross over into yoga (since the modern practice at the advanced level is essentially gymnastics + mindfulness) and so I should probably work on some of calisthenic progressions since they're typically more systematic and programmed in a straightforward way.

Thanks! Subbed

Back
Top Bottom