Calling all Enermax Liberty owners, I need your help.

Associate
You may or may not remember my last thread about my Liberty 400w, well I had problems with a bang from the supply and straining noises coming from it.
I rma'd it last week and after tests they found out that one of the 12v lines had failed and issued me with a replacement.

I recieved it yesterday and all was fine, I go to start it up this morning and its making this stupid straining noise again, it does it for about 10 minutes and then the noise stops completly, I phoned up Enermax and they say it could be just the fan running at full speed until it can read a temp from the mobo.

So do any other Liberty users get any of these noises at start-up, I think its a load of rubbish to be honest, and to make the problem wierder, it only makes the straining noise from a cold boot.

Also to add, there is no other problems with the supply, rails are solid and it passes all the benchs/tests I can throw at it. Please help.

Edit: and its defantly more than capable as its only running a Celeron/X600/512mb 1 optical and 1 HDD

Soldato
When I had mine, it used to make a weird sort of click when I powered up my PC. Wouldn't do it while it was running...

I RMA'd mine after it kept rebooting my PC at random and got a Seasonic PSU instead:)

Associate
OP
Cheers for the reply, I thought Enermax were suposed to be a really good make, I read plenty of reviews before buying and was swayed between the Enermax and Tagan, Do I wish I took the Tagan now, had a Tagan 480w a couple of years ago and didnt have 1 problem in 2 years, I have had no end of problems with 2 Liberty supplies in the space of 2 weeks.

Associate
OP
The noise is like a deep straining noise, thats the best I can describe it, and yes it only happens on a cold boot. Im not that impressed at all, this build has been nothing but problems, seriously considering just giving up on computers all together.

Permabanned
Agr3sive said:
The noise is like a deep straining noise, thats the best I can describe it, and yes it only happens on a cold boot. Im not that impressed at all, this build has been nothing but problems, seriously considering just giving up on computers all together.
Any chance of a recording?

Associate
OP
Yeah, I should be able to do a recording in the morning as its not making the noise at the moment, its quite a hard one to explain, if you can imagine what sort of noise a normal 120mm fan makes, its that noise just a lot lot deeper.

Soldato
Agr3sive said:
Yeah, I should be able to do a recording in the morning as its not making the noise at the moment, its quite a hard one to explain, if you can imagine what sort of noise a normal 120mm fan makes, its that noise just a lot lot deeper.
Maybe the fan is turning soo slow as the PSU is cold.

Take a look at this review
Point 6. Noise:
Subjectively, the Enermax NoiseTaker 475 is very quiet from idle all the to 200W output: There was no change in noise from 65W load to 200W. But between 200W and 250W output, there is a major step in fan speed and noise, and hits 32dBA at 250W. All the noise levels at the 250W mark and beyond are too high to be of real interest to PC Silencers.

The quality of the fan noise is not particularly smooth, however. Even at the lowest speed, there is a kind of rattling-chugging sound. This noise actually dissipates as the fans spin up, and at higher speeds, the whooshing of fan turbulence dominates. There are no high frequency sounds that can be detected, not from the fans or from the electronics. Coil noise is often the result of interactions between components, however, so the absence of this noise in the lab does not guarantee its absence with PC components.

Associate
OP
Ah thats really interesting Dutch Guy, maybe the chugging/straining noise is just a start up noise and because I had the last supply blow one of the 12v lines I associated it to the noise.

Like I say, there are no problems with the supplys performance, the rails are solid even with full load, I'll see how it goes for now. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom