Calling all visitors to Iceland

Soldato
Trip place reserved! July 24th I'll be in 1 degree water between two continental plates :D

:( I want to dive the mid Atlantic ridge!

I hear the vis is rubbish, sell the ticket to me ;)

I'll be diving the ridge the week before you just not there :) I'll be in the Azores :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, finally able to sort through some of the photos (been redecorating the study and the Mac has been out of action). What a stunning country to visit. We had mixed weather, but not much clear sun at all. The scariest part was driving the last leg to Hali at night in an absolute gale - the jeep was all over the place and we had to slow to 30 mph for a couple of hours. But there really is nothing bad to say about Iceland at all, other than the ridiculous price of alcohol of course. We'll head back one day soon at a better time of year, as all this trip did was whet the appetite. Perhaps to catch those northern lights on a clearer night!

Last embers of the northern lights by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

Big country by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

Ice lagoon by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

Ice and black sand beach by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

smr

smr

Soldato
The missus and I are going in Feb :)

Looking forward to Jokulsarlon and Ice Caving the most and the Golden Circle, staying in three different places!

Regarding self drive I am going to hire a 2WD and then see if I need to upgrade to a 4x4 when we're there (dependant on the weather).

Soldato
The missus and I are going in Feb :)

Looking forward to Jokulsarlon and Ice Caving the most and the Golden Circle, staying in three different places!

Regarding self drive I am going to hire a 2WD and then see if I need to upgrade to a 4x4 when we're there (dependant on the weather).

Careful with that car hire plan cheap 4x4's can disappear if the weather is bad leaving you with a very expensive upgrade! I can recommend blue car rental good cars, decent service and very well Priced we had a Kia sportage which was surprisingly nice.

smr

smr

Soldato
Careful with that car hire plan cheap 4x4's can disappear if the weather is bad leaving you with a very expensive upgrade! I can recommend blue car rental good cars, decent service and very well Priced we had a Kia sportage which was surprisingly nice.

Thanks for the advice, an Icelander (is that the terminology for native Icelandic people? :p) told me on tripadvisor that 75% of road traffic accidents involve 4x4s or SUVs so I am a bit weary of having to go that route, ideally I'm hoping for decent weather - especially when heading to Jokulsarlon and that a 2wd with snow tyres will suffice.

On Friday night we'll be staying at a place in Hveragerði which is 4 hours from Jokulsarlon, so we're planning to leave at 8 in the morning in order to arrive there before the Ice Caving tour starts in the afternoon. Just hope the weather is okay.

Last edited:

smr

smr

Soldato
Don't know much about the Samsungs, have you decided against a Canikon DSLR?

Haven't decided against anything unless it's overly expensive for my budget, which isn't going to be astronomical as I'm an amateur photographer, infact I wouldn't say I'm an amateur even - never owned anything other than a camera phone really.

But I am looking for something which I could bring along to Formula 1 tracks as well as portrait / family and landscape shots- the NX30 sounds as though it will be brilliant for the latter two but not so good for Formula 1.

I read an indepth review saying that the autofocus let it down for fast moving objects even though it can shoot at 9fps.

Anyway, I started an NX30 thread so I shall not deviate OT, especially as I'll be photographing in Iceland and trying to learn as much as possible about whichever Camera I get at Christmas between then and Feb. If anyone has any photography tips for shooting in Iceland that'd be great!

Last edited:
Associate
Have a look at the tips link on flickr I posted above, it contains my tips to photograh the aurora & the Icelandic weather forecast site which is very good. I personally would not chance it and drive in the winter, just saw a snow storm video posted on the Iceland Photographers group on facebook (which is very good by the way - www.facebook.com/groups/394242893922872 ) which looked terryfying :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom