Calling all visitors to Iceland

Associate
Here's a couple of my pics. The view from the top of the church was great, I always like to try and find an elevated view whenever I go somewhere. If I were to go again I think I'd stay in a lodge somewhere and get a rentacar so we could go off the standard touristy type routes/places. I'm sure there is much more to explore, also can take as much time as we want at places. If it were possible to use a drone (I'm not sure of their rules) but pics would be incredible!!

Iceland_02-16_AE_003.jpg

Iceland_02-16_AE_014.jpg

Iceland_02-16_AE_026.jpg

Few more pics here - http://www.ae-photography.co.uk/albums/02-2016-iceland-photos/

Soldato
But so much more expensive. With Sixt (via American Express), I can get an Astra for 7 days for under £300 and unlimited mileage.

Might book the car rental and tours this weekend.

smr

smr

Soldato
I'd use blue car rental again, obviously we didn't have access to a hoover and I was a bit of car slob when we went, they didn't care one bit, I apologised for the mess but he was really cool about it, they just had to fill the tank up again and that was it. We rented a Dacia Duster and it was perfect - great car, I'd have no problem hiring it again... now I feel like going back to Iceland after typing this :D

Associate
some great information and wonderful photos in this thread.

I've been tentatively planning a photography trip for ages and it's finally reaching critical mass. Looking at a good 2 weeks with a buddy of mine either in late oct/early Nov or end of feb/early march as I definitely want to do ice caves and have a decent chance at northern lights.

We are most likely to rent a 4x4 camper and use it for accommodation (i have a recent list of open winter campsites and the more affordable lodges if need be). The thinking being, as its primarily a photo trip, is that we can get to locations and do a sunset/sunrise in good light. Perhaps not the most comfortable but sacrifices must be made :)

Soldato
We stayed where we could and we're always the first ones up. Deserted waterfall at 6.30 anyone :D

I saw something about a guy going in summer and sleeping in the day and visiting places at night as it was still sunny. Sounds an amazing idea :D

Associate
We stayed where we could and we're always the first ones up. Deserted waterfall at 6.30 anyone :D

I saw something about a guy going in summer and sleeping in the day and visiting places at night as it was still sunny. Sounds an amazing idea :D

thats kinda what were going to do, travel/snooze in the middle of the day and photograph in the best winter light. Assuming that there's northern light activity we may have the chance to photograph some of the iconic locations under aurora

Soldato
thats kinda what were going to do, travel/snooze in the middle of the day and photograph in the best winter light. Assuming that there's northern light activity we may have the chance to photograph some of the iconic locations under aurora

qpo36s.jpg

We managed the Hraunfossar falls on an aurora night so bright i was shooting 4 second shots part of it :o

Soldato
Anyone visiting and booking things there is Icelands version of groupon which often have some pretty good deals.
I'm not sure what it's like for payment options if you don't have an Icelandic Kennitala but could be worth a try.

aha.is and hopkaup.is

I just booked the whale watching for 50% off and they do deals of food, massages/spas etc too

Also if anyone is ever in Reykjavik without a car I'm always travelling around either myself, with a friend or with my girlfriend
If I am going somewhere people may be welcome to join if I'm free.

Soldato
Following on from winter 2016 trip to Iceland when I said I would love to do a more leisurely road trip out there, and visit in summer, I indeed went back to do it in June 2017 (yes, it's taken me that long to upload my photos!). First post/photos further up this thread.

6 days of driving 200 - around 400 km a day, coverring the western peninsula, Reykjavik, south coast, golden circle and south west peninsula. Yet again it was truly amazing! I think next time, I will visit the north and/or east of the island.

Selection of photos from my album:
Bjarnarhofn Shark Museum-3 by *SM*, on Flickr
Bjarnarhofn Shark Museum-6 by *SM*, on Flickr
Kirkjufell-1 by *SM*, on Flickr
South Iceland-7 by *SM*, on Flickr
Reykjavik-7 by *SM*, on Flickr
Reykjanes-13 by *SM*, on Flickr
Reykjavik-11 by *SM*, on Flickr
Reykjanes-1 by *SM*, on Flickr
Geysir-3 by *SM*, on Flickr
Skogafoss-5 by *SM*, on Flickr
Snaefellsjokull-3 by *SM*, on Flickr