Calling for help, CCTV mp4 audio and visual enhancement to catch two crims

SBo

SBo

Associate
Good morning all,

VERY annoyingly we were burgled on Saturday night. We were out and two guys spent a determined half hour trying to find a way into our house before crowbarring an upstairs window, having smashed all of our outdoor lights first.
While smashing up our lights they tripped part of the house's power, so our internet, switches and CCTV failed over to its UPS, giving us about 25 minutes of footage before the battery ran flat. Lesson for us there but also thank goodness for the UPS.
Once they were in the Texecom burglar alarm did its thing and they were out within a couple of minutes thankfully. Top tip; have PIRs upstairs too.
The police have been great so far, have attended, watched the CCTV, forensics are on their way and we have a determined PC on the case already e-mailing us with follow-up.
This footage that we have of both of the guys was recorded on a Unifi G4 bullet camera at 1080p, 30fps. It is black and white / IR and gets weaker once they smash the lights but is reasonable. They can also be heard talking in it but background traffic noise is quite a loud continuous drone over it. We have three cameras plus a video doorbell and the one at the back got all of the footage. On reflection I will add another.
The PC is back on duty at 10pm tonight and I would really like to help by providing some good snapshots from the video of the two guys and also what they were saying. Basically if their burglary detectives can recognise either of them then they will take on the case, if not our local PC will continue to investigate.
Back to the video/audio enhancement, I was just about to have a go at learning how to do these things (WFH today and should be able to find a couple of hours) when I thought I would ask on here first for any good free software to go for, or any other tips/suggestions/help on how to extract good snapshots with some image enhancement from B&W CCTV and also best tecniques for audio filtering.

Thanks all and have a good day.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I can provide some input for sound.

You might be able to sample some of the traffic noise and use it as a source to cancel the noise in the footage, almost like applying noise cancellation in headphones.

But I would use Adobe Audition to do this, which isn’t free (and I don’t unfortunately have it anymore).

I’ve used it to good effect in the past.

For video upscaling, maybe Topaz? But again, their stuff isn’t free.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I’ve never used it myself but decided to have a quick look for you…

You can get a free trial of Adobe Audition or you can subscribe for £30 a month and cancel at anytime, so worst case will only cost you £30 to give it ago!

SBo

SBo

Associate
OP
I’ve never used it myself but decided to have a quick look for you…

You can get a free trial of Adobe Audition or you can subscribe for £30 a month and cancel at anytime, so worst case will only cost you £30 to give it ago!
Thank you Im going to try this now.

Back
Top Bottom