cambelt change on focus zetec

Associate
Has anyone changed a cambelt on a zetec 1.8? Is it very involved or is it something someone who knows his way around an engine could do?

I really dont want to spend a couple of hundred pounds getting it done if it can be done by my dad!

thanks

Marshmule said:
Has anyone changed a cambelt on a zetec 1.8? Is it very involved or is it something someone who knows his way around an engine could do?

I really dont want to spend a couple of hundred pounds getting it done if it can be done by my dad!

thanks

Chenquay! Its important to remember that its probably not just the belt that needs changing. It could be worth getting the water pump and pulleys done too. You can usually get kits here, but to be honest, if you get it done by a dealer or garage then it will be covered under a parts and labour warranty

Ron Burgundy said:
80k IIRC although i'm probably wrong. It could also be dependant on engine size.

Interestingly, I didnt know that the Focus 2.0l was not made by Ford, but the Mondeo 2.0l is. Seems stupid to me :confused:

Cambelt on the 1.8 and 2.0 Zetec engines is 100k miles or 10 years and both the 2.0 in the Mondeo and the Focus are made by Ford as they exactly the same engine :)

[TW]Fox said:
Cambelt on the 1.8 and 2.0 Zetec engines is 100k miles or 10 years and both the 2.0 in the Mondeo and the Focus are made by Ford as they exactly the same engine :)

I was under that impression. But I read somewhere recently that the Focus unit was different to the Mondeo. Focus was made by PRS or PRC or something and the Mondy unit was a Ford item. Problem was, it didnt say which marques it was talking about. I'm trying to find the link now.

I thought that the 2 litre engine in the Focus (mk1) was the old zetec engine, with about 130ish bhp, whilst the 2 litre engine in the Mondeo (mk3) is the duratec, with 140ish bhp? They're using the duratec engine in the new model focus now though, so in that case they're the same engine.

It's entirely possible that the older zetec units ended up being made under licence or something though. Maybe that's where this has came from?

80k miles for the win, do the pulleys at same time and throw a water pump on ;) jobs a good un dont forget your ancilliry belts as well powersteering alternator etc

MuvverRussia said:
I thought that the 2 litre engine in the Focus (mk1) was the old zetec engine, with about 130ish bhp, whilst the 2 litre engine in the Mondeo (mk3) is the duratec, with 140ish bhp?

The Duratec dosen't even have a cam belt.

[TW]Fox said:
Not Blacktop Zetec cambelts.

Are the stories about idlers and tensioners falling apart at 70k definitely based on the silvertop zetecs? My blacktop zetec is on 72k and I have been thinking about getting it done as a preventative.

osc89er said:
Are the stories about idlers and tensioners falling apart at 70k definitely based on the silvertop zetecs? My blacktop zetec is on 72k and I have been thinking about getting it done as a preventative.

I went to the garage last year with my blacktop zetec with 70k on the clock, they told me to wait until i hit the 100k mark before thinking about changing the belt and pulleys/tensioners.

osc89er said:

tens.jpg

This was the tensioner off of my silvertop 2.0 Zetec after 90k.

Cambelt is supposed to be changed at 5years/80k on my partciluar engine so when I bought it I did it pretty much right away- glad I did too!

The blacktop is 100k/10years and uses a different tensioner setup but they still wear out.

I imagine you will have to change the belt once during the rest of you ownership of the car, if you can afford to do it at the moment then I probably would.

Back
Top Bottom