Campaigners call for artificial grass tax

Soldato
what about the emissions saved by not using your lawnmower

What utter bull will they come out with next

Soldato
Plastic lawns have a place and if you ban them then people will just slab the garden instead.

The chucking slabs down is far worse due to all of the issues associated with drainage and water run off causing flooding. I’m fairly sure it would be more energy intensive too because of all the material that goes into them.

Gravel still needs maintenance because stuff can grow in it and it’s not the best if you have mobility issues.

Soldato
I had the scrappy, sloping lawn at my old house professionally re-turfed twice, followed their care instructions to the letter and neither lasted more than two years before becoming a patchy mess. Having only a foot of soil on top of the rubble remains of the previous house (area was explosively remodelled by the Luftwaffe during WW2) might have been something to do with it.

I turned half of it into a section of raised beds and had the rest covered in Gucci quality synthetic grass. It looked great, didn’t disturb the drainage and the ongoing maintenance involved brushing it once a week. It still looked good as new 6 years later when we sold the house.

Soldato
Plastic lawns have a place and if you ban them then people will just slab the garden instead.

The chucking slabs down is far worse due to all of the issues associated with drainage and water run off causing flooding. I’m fairly sure it would be more energy intensive too because of all the material that goes into them.

Gravel still needs maintenance because stuff can grow in it and it’s not the best if you have mobility issues.

And making concrete creates a lot of green house emissions

Soldato
Good. I hate mowing the lawn it's a right pain but at the same time at least the rough parts of our garden are doing their tiny bit for biodiversity.

If I could be bothered and knew I'd do the upkeep, a clover lawn would be lovely.

Back
Top Bottom