Campsites in Cornwall...recommendations, advice, etc

Associate
Hey all,

A bit of an unusual request this one, but I've had some good experiences with asking on here about rather random stuff, so I'll give it a shot.

Basically, a group of friends are interested in going camping once the exams are over, to celebrate and enjoy the summer. The original idea was to go somewhere in Cornwall, particularly on the north coast.

However, the camp-site organiser became unexpectedly busy, and asked if other people could help out by finding somewhere to go. Apparently, it's not as easy as it sounds, out of the first 5 emailed, only 1 replied.

So basically my question to you guys is: anyone know of anywhere in particular (hopefully in that region) where they've had a good experience of and would recommend? In a more general sense, anyone know of any 'camp-site review websites' if any such exist?

If age/group size is an issue, then there's likely to be around 15 - 17/18 year olds (but in no way the rowdy sort...) looking for a week of camping.

I know it's all a bit vague, but any pointers/tips people can give would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks to all who post :)
Peter

Come to Newquay mate, theres no other place worth going to in cornwall tbh, yes there are more picturesque towns/villages but unless your 90+ you'll just get board tbh,

heres a few sites in the local area http://www.surfnewquay.co.uk/camping.shtml

I'd proberbly recommend Hendra, it's about a 2 miles out of town though, if you want something closer then Trenance holiday park may be better, that only about 10/15mins walking distance from Newquay town centre, both these sites tend to have less rowdy types staying on them, if you do wan't a more party atmosphere then go to Sunnyside.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mother Iveys bay on Trevose head just south of Padstow.
Spent nearly every summer there as a kid.

Gone a bit upmarket since I used to go though.
It used to be a rotten old mobile home near the gate to the field you were supposed to sign in to on arrival, but if you turned up at midnight then a free holiday ensued. :D as everyone was asleep.

http://www.motheriveysbay.com/

Associate
OP
Thanks for the posts people! Both are very useful.

lowrider007 said:
Come to Newquay mate, theres no other place worth going to in cornwall tbh, yes there are more picturesque towns/villages but unless your 90+ you'll just get board tbh,

heres a few sites in the local area http://www.surfnewquay.co.uk/camping.shtml

I'd proberbly recommend Hendra, it's about a 2 miles out of town though, if you want something closer then Trenance holiday park may be better, that only about 10/15mins walking distance from Newquay town centre, both these sites tend to have less rowdy types staying on them, if you do wan't a more party atmosphere then go to Sunnyside.

Cheers lowrider007, your opinion is much appreciated. :D

I'll get in contact with some of the places you mention.

If we do end up going there, being a local (I get the feeling you're hinting that), can I expect your low-down on the local amenities/attractions/night life too? :p

Thanks again.

Soldato
Sorry Lowrider, have to disagree. Newquay is the last place in Cornwall I'd want to be going (IMHO of course).

(I'm 21 btw not 90) ;)

Sure it's got pubs and clubs but it's also got more chavs than you can shake a stick at. There are much better beaches in other parts of Cornwall as well. (although Watergate Bay is a favourite of mine).

If you've planned to go to the North Coast I assume you're going for the surf, in which case Polzeath or Perranporth wipe the floor with Fistral. I actually prefer Truro as a base rather than Newquay and it also gives you easy access to beaches like Porthtowen.

I really don't think Newquay shows off the best of Cornwall.

Panzer

Caporegime
How about Point Curlew it is on the North Coast just south of Padstow near St Merryn.

I have stayed there several times, it is a fantastic base for touring around north and central Cornwall. IIRC a camping pitch is approx £10 -£17 per night depending on when you go. I stayed in one of the chalets last time and would recommend them to anyone.

There are many fantastic beaches within just a few mins drive or a slightly longer walk if that is the way you want to go!!
There is a small store on site, a couple of little stores for all the necessities nearby or a Tesco's in Padstow just 10-12 mins drive away.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
CaSh_MoNeY said:
^ Have to agree with that, Newquay is nothing special tbh.

Try St Ives, Peranporth, Falmouth.

We go camping every year at work in the summer, always try a different town and so far those are the three places we've done.

All were cracking weekends.

Can't stand Newquay anymore, has really gone downhill.

Associate
lowrider007 said:
if you do wan't a more party atmosphere then go to Sunnyside.

Got some bad news! went to sunnyside last year (Was AMAZING!) but they have closed down :( due to recklessness i believe! regarding newwquay though, its awsome! such a quality time you will have! :D

Associate
peteruk said:
Hey all,

A bit of an unusual request this one, but I've had some good experiences with asking on here about rather random stuff, so I'll give it a shot.

Basically, a group of friends are interested in going camping once the exams are over, to celebrate and enjoy the summer. The original idea was to go somewhere in Cornwall, particularly on the north coast.

However, the camp-site organiser became unexpectedly busy, and asked if other people could help out by finding somewhere to go. Apparently, it's not as easy as it sounds, out of the first 5 emailed, only 1 replied.

So basically my question to you guys is: anyone know of anywhere in particular (hopefully in that region) where they've had a good experience of and would recommend? In a more general sense, anyone know of any 'camp-site review websites' if any such exist?

If age/group size is an issue, then there's likely to be around 15 - 17/18 year olds (but in no way the rowdy sort...) looking for a week of camping.

I know it's all a bit vague, but any pointers/tips people can give would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks to all who post :)
Peter

I hate tourist coming to Cornwall causing huge traffic jams and using all the parking spaces at the beach :p On a more serious note, Watergate Bay is by far the best beach in cornwall
http://www.clubdomaine.co.uk/atlantic.html This place is pretty nice since they got a new gym redid the swimming pool.

Panzerbjorn said:
I really don't think Newquay shows off the best of Cornwall.

I agree, but I think it's a good central point to base youself, you have the night life and busy town to mingle with but quaint little picturesque villages are only a bus ride away.

Chris01 said:
Got some bad news! went to sunnyside last year (Was AMAZING!) but they have closed down :( due to recklessness i believe! regarding newwquay though, its awsome! such a quality time you will have! :D

yeh I forgot it closed down, Trevelgue Campsite is the next best thing then if you want a party atmosphere.

For the original poster though I'd say Hendra if their not the rowdy type.

Last edited:
Associate
Would have to agree with lowrider that Newquay is a good central point, to the OP if you guys are 17/18 all the clubs and pubs have got very tight on ID

St Ives has a killer outdoor karting track! Twin engined 70mph pro racing karts! Linky Linky Visit is compulsary
The kart centre is at St Eval near Mawgan Porth not St Ives ;)

Hendra is deffinitly worth staying at, but not really walking distance from the centre of town, there are buses during the day but you will have to count on taxis at night and its around £9 after 11pm.

Some good clubs around Newqauy but they arent that big tbh but you do get some good DJs in the summer if your into your dance music.

Fri and Sat are the big nights out and the town is always rammed however you will have to endure a lot of stag and hen parties.

Back
Top Bottom