Can a long dream last a split second?

Associate
Maybe its why so many creative people take/took hallucinogenics. Unless you've ever tried such things its hard to comprehend what the mind can conjure up from the slightest stimulus.

Soldato
Had one the other night where I had a bit of a bad dream and thought I'd woken up to my normal alarm, dreamt I'd got out of bed, got dressed, etc. and then as I tried to walk out of my bedroom there was nothing - outside of my bedroom was just blackness and I couldn't move forward out the door - attempting to move forward just made me spin over and over (pitch) it was the unusual sense of floating in mid-air spinning that made me realise I wasn't awake and woke me up. The strange thing is when spinning like that I noticed details of the lintel that never registered on a conscious level before and were indeed there when I went to look actually awake.

Aside from those times where I think I've woken up I'm always aware I'm dreaming.

That's freakishly close to one of my recent dreams!!

I assume the similarity is purely down to the fact that the act of waking and dressing is something most all of us do in much the same manner and possibly the blank void outside the door is the brain being confused due to partially thinking it is awake and having no real visual stimuli once the door was open while it was expecting some.

Associate
This thread has reminded me of a recurring dream I used to have as a child, it got to the point where I knew I was dreaming but no matter what I did, the dream always ended at the same point.

From what I remember, I was a tiny person, probably influenced by "Honey I Shrunk the Kids", "The Borrowers" or even "The Indian in the Cupboard" (one of my childhood favourites), I was in a greenhouse and no matter what, the dream always ended with me falling through a metal drain.

It sounds silly now but at the time it scared me, the fact I kept having this dream, I was convinced something was either wrong with me or something bad was going to happen!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Dimple, you have kids don't you? I'm surprised you even have to ask this question. On 'bad' nights or mornings when my kids were younger I would often have dreams that seemed they had lasted ages and then realised I'd only been asleep for 5 minutes.

I also have the ability to go into REM as soon as I fall asleep. Back in the 80s I did a sleep trial at Keele Uni who confirmed it. I can just fall asleep, be in a dream and then wake up 1 minute later.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
We all know time warp while dreaming - ie. very long dream in a very short space of time in real life - however what Dimple is describing in original post is either possibility of micro dream where the brain stages a set up for event in real life (ie. subconsciously you know you set the clock to certain hour, dream storyline is created around expected event) or micro dream created in its entirety after the trigger happened, split second between when the senses and brain already registered it but consciousness is still about to register it.
I'm going to go with simpler explanation of imperfect memory - the riff played by Parr in real dream was actually different, but the amalgamate of dream and reality after Dimple was awakened accumulated both fake and real sensory experiences into one. It's that moment where you wake up and for a split second you think "wow, what a dream, I remember every detail", you grab a pen and paper and... pieces of it are already gone and keep falling out of the picture.

Man of Honour
Time flows differently in dreams. I've had dreams where I've been doing something for hours and I wake up and only 30 mins has gone. I only ever dream when I am too hot in bed. I can overdress or put the heating on if I want a dream, it's weird.

Soldato
Not necessarily true, water living animals which require oxygen at all times and either have to be constantly moving or surfacing are capable of allowing half of their brain to sleep.
Still sleep in a sense, but it does mean that you can be constantly awake too.

its still sleep however. simply pushing the evolutionary "technology" of sleep to the absolute limit!

(I wonder what happens to the sleep patterns of those people who have had that split brain operation?)

Soldato
Weird dreams.

Many years ago, I sat up in the middle of the night and shouted "They're all going to die", Moments later, as I woke up properly, I told my GF that I had just had an awful dream about a space disaster.

We went back to sleep.

The next day the Columbia was lost!

I am sure that these coincidences happen all the time, but it was (and still is for me) pretty damn spooky!

:/

Associate
Every single night I dream about being at work. Then I wake up and realise I still have a full days work ahead of me. I don't like dreams...

Soldato
Yep, had a friend pass out after an inoculation, only for a few seconds but he spoke about his dream for a good 5-10 minutes worth of detail and events after.

Soldato
I only ever dream when I am too hot in bed. I can overdress or put the heating on if I want a dream, it's weird.

I can make myself have nightmares. all I have to do is go to sleep with my left foot not covered by the quilt. works every time, and only my left foot. I assume that it is something to do with changes in my body temperature

Associate
I remember waking up with a massive foot cramp after a dream of playing football while injured, which felt like a full length game

I once had something similar where I dreamt I was in a gym or something similar. Woke up the next day and whole body was sore like I had been.

Also had those dreams where an external stimuli has happened and just fit in too well with what was going on in the dream so think you might be onto something. Of course I now can't recall anything about said dreams!

Do wonder if people who are naturally gifted (as opposed to learnt from repetition) at certain things like mathematics are just wired slightly differently and are able to utilise those fleeting, faster running parts of the brain. Folks like that also tend to have 'odd' personalities.

I'm sure there's a whole heap of research out there on it all. My brain's just wired to be too lazy to check it out.

Associate
Weird dreams.

Many years ago, I sat up in the middle of the night and shouted "They're all going to die", Moments later, as I woke up properly, I told my GF that I had just had an awful dream about a space disaster.

We went back to sleep.

The next day the Columbia was lost!

I am sure that these coincidences happen all the time, but it was (and still is for me) pretty damn spooky!

:/

Ex GF once called me up at 2/3 am in the morning crying about her grandmother dying (who as far as we were aware was in good health despite being old) and she'd never lost close family before. Had to calm her down and get her back to sleep. Next morning her parents called her to tell her the Grandmother died at around the time she called me.
That was very very weird. They hadn't told her she was ill at all, can only guess she subconsciously picked up on what they were not telling her.

Edit: One last thing related to dreaming. Does anyone else consistently wake up literally 1 minute before their alarm clock goes off? Despite the time I go to sleep varying. Again probably due to light levels or something in the room. Mad how much goes on in our sub conscious behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whether its somehow REM phase or not I dunno but I frequently dream during short periods of sleep i.e. if I come home from work tired and take a nap I will usually have very vivid dreams for some reason (and always wake up after 1 sleep cycle max).

I frequently have lucid dreams but unlike the poster quoted below I can force myself awake if the dream gets bad - never occurred to me to try otherwise.

Sounds like you may be having OBEs / astral projection ;) No reason they should get bad as you should be in control.

Soldato
Ex GF once called me up at 2/3 am in the morning crying about her grandmother dying (who as far as we were aware was in good health despite being old) and she'd never lost close family before. Had to calm her down and get her back to sleep. Next morning her parents called her to tell her the Grandmother died at around the time she called me.
That was very very weird.

That's due to a glitch in the Matrix. :p

Soldato
I frequently have lucid dreams but unlike the poster quoted below I can force myself awake if the dream gets bad - never occurred to me to try otherwise.

strange thing is, while I can't wake myself from lucid dreams I have managed to 'train' myself to deal with sleep paralysis - with a bit of concentration I can force myself to clear my throat which usually wakes me completely.

Back
Top Bottom