Can a PSU be installed either way up???

Associate
Just got a new case, which has the PSU space at the bottom... usually the large fan of the PSU is on the underside of the unit when traditionally installed in the top of the case...

Bit of a noob question, considering I have built many puters.. but none with the PSU at the bottom... can I assume that it can be installed either way, i.e., so the 120mm fan is facing up into the case...

I have a Hiper Modular PSU, and a CM Stacker case...

Thanks

I think the answer is that it does matter, because the mounting screws are not symetrical. Hopefully they are positioned such that the side fan will be towards the main part of the case, not the wall.

Anyone manage to fit Enermax Liberty & CM Stacker 810 with the fan pointing up? (PSU at the bottom) I've tried to mount the other way round but the screw holes don't match up, and the backplate fits into a lip at the top. I'll have another go when I finish the build though..

Hi, Every PSU I have had had the holes positioned not in a square pattern and usually the case is set with the holes to the match the PSU and can't be altered, unless you mod the case and screw your own holes and cut or grind away any lips.

Never yet have I managed to fit the PSU the other way up or down.

Anthony

badbob said:
Anyone manage to fit Enermax Liberty & CM Stacker 810 with the fan pointing up? (PSU at the bottom) I've tried to mount the other way round but the screw holes don't match up, and the backplate fits into a lip at the top. I'll have another go when I finish the build though..

think i had the same problum with my Tagen i kinda jimmeyed it in :p (at the top)

Dutch Guy said:
mount it the right way round, cut a hole in the bottom of the case, that way the PSU will be cooled by outside air sucked in from the bottom?

Mine does have a vent hole at the bottom :-) I'm just wondering if it'll suck in dust (going to use the castors to raise height) And if better for the PSU fan to stick up and suck air from inside the case to outside (PSU is not on the top)

Does the 810 Stacker have the face plate you screw onto the back of the case and then screw the PSU onto? I know the original stacker has, and this can be mounted either way round, i.e. you can have the PSU either way up, just have the lip facing down instead of up.

badbob said:
Mine does have a vent hole at the bottom :-) I'm just wondering if it'll suck in dust (going to use the castors to raise height) And if better for the PSU fan to stick up and suck air from inside the case to outside (PSU is not on the top)
Perhaps updside down it will suck the cold air that is blown in by the casefans that is otherwise cooling components :confused:

Here's a picture of air movement. At the moment I have one 4 in 1 module (3.5" drive bay with a 12cm fan) but I'll be getting another one sometime.

cooling.jpg

If I can reverse PSU 180 degrees air at the bottom of the case will be sucked out. I guess it won't help being no hot components nearby or that hot air will raise to the top (12cm x 2 here)

badbob said:
Here's a picture of air movement. At the moment I have one 4 in 1 module (3.5" drive bay with a 12cm fan) but I'll be getting another one sometime.

cooling.jpg

If I can reverse PSU 180 degrees air at the bottom of the case will be sucked out. I guess it won't help being no hot components nearby or that hot air will raise to the top (12cm x 2 here)
In that case I would leave it as it is, the PSU will get cooled by colder air from the outside and you have plenty casefans :eek: (I have one silent 80mm fan at 7V :o )

Should I replace all those fans with Delta Crossflows? (and get two more 4 in 1 modules) ;-) Will my cat get sucked into my front vents :-D

You can make out in the picture, that there is a grill mesh on the bottom.. I was just worried that this would not provide sufficient airlflow into the psu.. as the holes are small... I may turn my psu the right way up..

Thanks...

ok. remove the air vent at the bottom, get some chicken wire and bend to identical size & shape. You've still got the original grill and now have much bigger vent holes whilst proving support so cables don't droop out of the case.

hey just a update- managed to fit the PSU with the fan pointing upwards. Just flipped the PSU plate 180', rather than angling it up the lip is now on the bottom. I did try last time but the lip seemed to get in the way. Now it's ok.

Back
Top Bottom