Can an i7 be adequately cooled by the fan from an i3?

Associate
I purchased my 8th Generation (Coffee Lake) i3-8100 as a boxed item, complete with fan (product Code BX80684I38100). I'm now planning to upgrade it with a similar 8th Generation i7-8700 (CPU only), which has the same TDP (65w) as the i3. Will the original i3 fan provide enough cooling to the i7, or is it not so simple as that ?

I would spend a little more and get a better cooler. Good coolers start at about £35. Also keep in mind case airflow is probably more important than what coolers are used. If case isn't flowing more room temp air to components than they are using their intake air temp is much warmer than room .. and every degree warmer the air is entering cooler becomes same degrees hotter component is at same load and fan speed. I've seen stock cases (stock fan setup) with coolers trying to cool with air 15-25c warmer than room air when working hard, like when gaming.

Link below to basic guide of how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow might be helpful.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

The answer to your question depends what you are using it for.

It certainly will work and cool enough that it won't damage itself. However if you are doing very demanding cpu intensive tasks (including some gaming) it will get hotter and thermal throttle itself. A £25 cpu cooler like the Evo 212 will give you more headroom keeping it colder.

If it's just office related tasks (email, word, websites etc) don't bother. My dad does this with an i7 and it never gets hot at all as it's never pushed. Yet he justifies this as the i7 has some minor benefits over an i3 in very short tasks where it's faster yet doesn't get hot.

Back
Top Bottom