• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can anybody tell me if this PSU will run a 4080

Associate
I'd personally be looking at something around the 1000w mark, 80+ gold would also be fine, I may be wrong, but I also think these Kolink PSUs are from around 2018, think you'd be better placed getting something a little newer for compatibility and future proofing.

If you want a recommendation, I'd look at the Corsair RM1000e 80+ Gold (2023 version), you can generally find these around £130-£140.

Last edited:
Associate
Keep in mind that a 4080FE has a recommended minimum PSU of 750w while you can get 4080 partner boards that have a recommended minimum of 850w, as I've said I would always play it safe and aim for plenty of overhead, hence why I recommended 1000w.

Soldato
As others have said, yes it will do fine but, if you're buying new I'd push it a little to give yourself room in the future.

Personally I wouldn't buy a new PSU under 1000W these days.

Soldato
From what I understand the 4 series of cards are not like the previous generation, in terms of transient power spikes. Their typical loads are not that great either, at least my 4080 isn't. Whilst that could depend on the loading for the card, a decent 850w PSU should be more than capable.

Soldato
My 4080 runs fine on a RM750x so you should have no issues with a 850w psu

I was running my 4090 on that PSU with my 13900K, had no problems at all.

I always find it strange that everybody recommends 1000w+ PSU's when it's absolutely not necessary unless you're using a 4090/14900K and overclocking everything.

I'm currently using a Asus Loki 850w now

Last edited:
Soldato
I was running my 4090 on that PSU with my 13900K, had no problems at all.

I always find it strange that everybody recommends 1000w+ PSU's when it's absolutely not necessary unless you're using a 4090/14900K and overclocking everything.

I'm currently using a Asus Loki 850w now

Perhaps some of the suggestions for the greater than needed PSU is not related to the typical power draw but to cover the needs for what has become known as power excursions from the GPU. Momentary power demands beyond the TDP.
Those types of power spikes caused me no end of issues when I was testing a 3080Ti and using my Seasonic Titanium 750w Ultra PSU. Seasonic replaced that under their warranty to a PSU that had better ability to cope with those types of power demands.
Of course, changing to a RM 1000w Corsair, whilst the back and forth was going on between me and Seasonic, resolved the issue at the time.

Soldato
Perhaps some of the suggestions for the greater than needed PSU is not related to the typical power draw but to cover the needs for what has become known as power excursions from the GPU. Momentary power demands beyond the TDP.
Those types of power spikes caused me no end of issues when I was testing a 3080Ti and using my Seasonic Titanium 750w Ultra PSU. Seasonic replaced that under their warranty to a PSU that had better ability to cope with those types of power demands.
Of course, changing to a RM 1000w Corsair, whilst the back and forth was going on between me and Seasonic, resolved the issue at the time.

The 40 series don't suffer the same transient spikes the 30 series did

Soldato
Indeed they don't, thankfully my 4080 doesn't. I had mentioned that myself a few posts back :)
But that thought process of over provisioning still continues, at least for some.

Last edited:
Associate
As plenty have said that will be fine. A high quality 850w will be enough for most gaming systems, especially if using Ryzen.

Reminds me my EVGA 850W G2 is into it's 9th year and I'm starting to look at replacements (especially as my friend has just had to do a full build after his PSU of 10+ years popped and took the system with it!).

Back
Top Bottom