Can anyone recommend me a soundbar/base??

Soldato
I've currently got a Maxell MXSB-252 soundbase but it seems to have developed a fault and so I'm looking for a replacement.

Must have's:
  • HDMI connectivity
  • Must turn on and off with the TV
  • Volume must be controllable with Sky HD remote
Nice to have's:
  • Built in subwoofer (as I don't have an obvious spot behind or near the TV to put one!)
The TV is a Sony KD-55XE9005 and the base on which the TV sits is only 85cm wide so I could really do with it being a bit smaller or it's going look a bit weird!

Anyone have any suggestions in the circa £200 bracket??

Last edited:
Soldato
The Samsung HW-MS650 is great, the bass isn't earth shattering but it's pretty decent even without a dedicated sub. If you can't stretch your budet, the HW-MS550 probably won't be far off. AFAIK the main difference is that the 650 does left, right and centre channels whereas the 550 is stereo only.

It is about a metre wide though so it might not be suitable if you need something shorter.

Soldato
OP
The Samsung HW-MS650 is great, the bass isn't earth shattering but it's pretty decent even without a dedicated sub. If you can't stretch your budet, the HW-MS550 probably won't be far off. AFAIK the main difference is that the 650 does left, right and centre channels whereas the 550 is stereo only.

It is about a metre wide though so it might not be suitable if you need something shorter.

Thanks for the suggestion - I've had a look and both models are wider than my cabinet so I'm not sure they will look right if they overlap the edges to be honest!

Since my original post I've looked at a couple of soundbase's as follows if anyone has any first hand experience of them?

- Q Acoustics M2
- Cambrdge Audio TV5 V2

The Q Acoustics is circa £80 cheaper but also have a lesser wattage and the base is scarcely bigger than the TV stand so it might look a bit odd!

Anyone know anything about these?

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestion - I've had a look and both models are wider than my cabinet so I'm not sure they will look right if they overlap the edges to be honest!

Since my original post I've looked at a couple of soundbase's as follows if anyone has any first hand experience of them?

- Q Acoustics M2
- Cambrdge Audio TV5 V2

The Q Acoustics is circa £80 cheaper but also have a lesser wattage and the base is scarcely bigger than the TV stand so it might look a bit odd!

Anyone know anything about these?

I've got the Cambridge Audio TV5.
+ it's great for the money
+ It will learn your remote
+ It will go louder than you will want it too

- Annyoing blue light on the front behind the grille (I covered mine in Blu-tack)
- Bundled remote is tiny and not very good

I've been happy with it, I've heard the Canton is very good too?

Soldato
OP
I've got the Cambridge Audio TV5.
+ it's great for the money
+ It will learn your remote
+ It will go louder than you will want it too

- Annyoing blue light on the front behind the grille (I covered mine in Blu-tack)
- Bundled remote is tiny and not very good

I've been happy with it, I've heard the Canton is very good too?

I had a quick look at the Canton but it was a bit more expensive and didn't appear to have HDMI!?

Thanks for the opinion on the Cambridge - the negatives don't particularly worry me!

Mind if I ask;

- Does it turn on and off automatically when you turn your TV on and off?
- One of the features is the different sound modes - are these suitably different for different types of viewing? (one bugbear of my current soundbase is that sometimes surrounding sound overpowers dialogue)

One of the prerequisites of any new unit will be that it can be controlled using our Sky remote!

Soldato
If it connects via HDMI it should turn on and off with your TV and have the volume controlled by the TV. You'd just need HDMI control enabled on your devices.

Caporegime
I've currently got a Maxell MXSB-252 soundbase but it seems to have developed a fault and so I'm looking for a replacement.

Must have's:
  • HDMI connectivity
  • Must turn on and off with the TV
  • Volume must be controllable with Sky HD remote
Nice to have's:
  • Built in subwoofer (as I don't have an obvious spot behind or near the TV to put one!)
The TV is a Sony KD-55XE9005 and the base on which the TV sits is only 85cm wide so I could really do with it being a bit smaller or it's going look a bit weird!

Anyone have any suggestions in the circa £200 bracket??

£200 and built in subwoofer?

Really you have to understand what you are asking here.

How much realistically do you think a half decent subwoofer costs on it's own?

Also a soundbar selling for £200 at a retailer how much do you think it cost to make? So lets say the retailers margin is £50-£75. Wholesaler or manufacturers margin is another £50. Then you need to add in postage and packaging costs of being shipped from the other side of the world stored in warehouses, transported by lorries, etc. A £200 soundbar costs like £30-£50 to make.

Up your budget and you get a lot more for your money.

Soldato
I had a quick look at the Canton but it was a bit more expensive and didn't appear to have HDMI!?

Thanks for the opinion on the Cambridge - the negatives don't particularly worry me!

Mind if I ask;

- Does it turn on and off automatically when you turn your TV on and off?
- One of the features is the different sound modes - are these suitably different for different types of viewing? (one bugbear of my current soundbase is that sometimes surrounding sound overpowers dialogue)

One of the prerequisites of any new unit will be that it can be controlled using our Sky remote!

Yes it turns on and off with the TV, it comes on a couple of seconds after the TV. The different sound modes do make a difference but I've not bothered with them, can't even remember which I settled on, the one with the least muddled voices, probably "music" funnily enough. Once I'd set up the learning remote thing I've not used it. I use mine via optical btw.

Soldato
OP
Up pour budget and you get a lot more for your money.

Hold the phone!

Are you saying that if I spend more then I'll get a better experience!? :D

I assumed it would go without saying that I know a £200 budget is not gonna get me an earth moving sound experience!

My current soundbase, a Maxell MXSB-252, cost about 80 quid and I've absolutely loved it! (and yes, I too thought Maxell died out with the VHS tape!)

All I'm after is something that will improve upon the standard speakers on the TV for not an awful lot of money!

Caporegime
Hold the phone!

Are you saying that if I spend more then I'll get a better experience!? :D

I assumed it would go without saying that I know a £200 budget is not gonna get me an earth moving sound experience!

My current soundbase, a Maxell MXSB-252, cost about 80 quid and I've absolutely loved it! (and yes, I too thought Maxell died out with the VHS tape!)

All I'm after is something that will improve upon the standard speakers on the TV for not an awful lot of money!

Then the absolute best thing for your budget would be 2.0 speakers (active) that take an optical input from the TV. Soundbars are severely compromised at that budget.

If you must have a soundbar then buy samsung or sony for that budget.

Soldato
OP
Then the absolute best thing for your budget would be 2.0 speakers (active) that take an optical input from the TV. Soundbars are severely compromised at that budget.

If you must have a soundbar then buy samsung or sony for that budget.

It's not that I "must have" a soundbar - it's just that in my experience that is what works best!

I've often wondered about having a speaker system but always assumed they wouldn't be able to be controlled by the Sky remote?

Any particular speakers you could recommend if this is possible?

Caporegime
It's not that I "must have" a soundbar - it's just that in my experience that is what works best!

I've often wondered about having a speaker system but always assumed they wouldn't be able to be controlled by the Sky remote?

Any particular speakers you could recommend if this is possible?

Are you happy to use optical from TV? Do you have a need for a lot of HDMI, etc?

https://www.avforums.com/news/best-soundbars.14391

here is a list of recommended soundbars for various budgets 2 of them fit yours.

As for active speakers something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audioengin...+speakers+aptx+red&qid=1572610154&sr=8-4&th=1

Come in white or black

Soldato
OP
Yes it turns on and off with the TV, it comes on a couple of seconds after the TV. The different sound modes do make a difference but I've not bothered with them, can't even remember which I settled on, the one with the least muddled voices, probably "music" funnily enough. Once I'd set up the learning remote thing I've not used it. I use mine via optical btw.

Thanks!

I'm still not settled on a soundbase but it's good to know it will do what I want it to!

My main objection is they all look a bit "boxy" - my current Maxell unit is not to tall and nicely curved at the sides - I still can't believe it was as cheap as it was when you consider the number of HDMI ports it has!

Soldato
OP
Are you happy to use optical from TV? Do you have a need for a lot of HDMI, etc?

I'm happy using optical as long as the device will wake and turn off when I turn the TV on and off and I can control the volume using my Sky remote - having never used optical I'm not sure of the limitations/features? For example, when you switch input on the TV from say Sky to PS4, I assume the audio output changes with it? (Sorry if this is a stupid question!)

I just don't want to be faffing with more than 1 remote!

Caporegime
I'm happy using optical as long as the device will wake and turn off when I turn the TV on and off and I can control the volume using my Sky remote - having never used optical I'm not sure of the limitations/features? For example, when you switch input on the TV from say Sky to PS4, I assume the audio output changes with it? (Sorry if this is a stupid question!)

I just don't want to be faffing with more than 1 remote!

you will need more than 1 remote however the sound quality of £200 speakers will be akin to a £400 soundbar. so well worth the hassle.

Soldato
OP
you will need more than 1 remote however the sound quality of £200 speakers will be akin to a £400 soundbar. so well worth the hassle.

I'm on board as long as you can pop round whenever the missus moans about having to locate an entirely separate remote to turn Corrie down! :p

@Heisenberg I'll take a look at the Sky offering - I've been with them for about 275 years so if I'm not a VIP then there is something wrong!

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Slightly pricier but I’ve been using a Sonos Beam for the past 9 months and it’s a cracker for what it is.

You can use HDMI ARC but I’ve been using optical to the TV instead and there’s simply been no need for an additional sub. Great soundstage for a small package.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies guy's - having done some research, and despite it being well above my original budget, I'm leaning towards the Sonos Beam!

A mate of mine has one and it sounds great and unless I'm misunderstanding things, am I right in saying I can essentially connect another Sonos speaker wirelessly to create a sort of surround sound effect?

I know it's not going to be true surround sound but my living room isn't huge and so I'm thinking of putting a speaker on a cabinet high up above and behind the sofa to improve things!

Does anyone have any experience of connecting an additional speaker to the Beam?

Back
Top Bottom