• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can better and quieter fans be put on the PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon 8gb

Associate
just curious as my last one broke and ocuk replaced it but my games are going through the roof with temps hitting almost 82c with fan speeds at 80% and loud. seams to stay near 76c at the moment, i was thinking of just selling this card and buy a different one as the fan issues are driving me crazy.

i borrowed a Radeon RX 580 4GB NITRO+ and used for a month while my card was being sorted and it was quiet and the same game which was Ark: survival evolved i mostly play never went over 55c. not sure what to do at the moment :(

thanks for any advice on this

i heard that some change the power limit or voltage but i dont like to mess with those things unless i really need to and the info is 100% :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The biggest improvements you can see are undervolting & setting a custom fan curve, here's a tutorial:

It seems daunting at first but it's really not that complicated and with this knowledge you'll be able to do it for future GPUs as well. It's great to know it.

Soldato
I have that exact card and yes, it's extremely hot and loud by default. However, some tweaking does absolute wonders for it. Give these settings a try:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=72966727854156312299

That's a profile which can be loaded in WattMan and will set everything. You'll want to hit the reset switch in WattMan first, then load the profile twice in a row. Loading it twice should bypass an annoying bug where setting a custom fan curve turns off zero RPM mode (just make sure it says Zero RPM: On). Keep in mind that it will drop your core clock from 1350MHz to 1300MHz, but it will also massively reduce the card's heat output and allow the (rather lacklustre) cooler to cope. 1300MHz is also being on the safe side - my card can do 1320MHz on the same voltage fully stable, so feel free to bump up the P7 clock incrementally to find out where you're stable. Or, if you like, put it back to 1350MHz (or higher) and bump up the P7 voltage by +10mV incrementally until you find stability. All of these settings can be instantly reverted by hitting the reset button in WattMan too - it's not making any permanent changes to your card, so tinkering is perfectly safe.

At any rate, with those settings the card is whisper quiet for me and never gets above 72 degrees even under extended stress testing. Sometimes WattMan will be annoying and seemingly revert to the default fan curve briefly when you start playing a game, but it will revert to the custom curve and quiet down again after a minute or so.

Associate
it might have a really bad thermal paste application or some mounting issue too.

did my dads 390 and repasted it, and replaced fans with 2 artic 120mm pwm fans (u can get gfx card pwm to 4pin pwm adampter, the cheaper fans top out at 1800rpm i think. took like 20-25c off his temps and its quieter and the fans dont run full speed either. (zip ties and double sided tape, and abit of electrical tape to make a shroud)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p12-pwm-pst-black-fan-120mm-fg-04h-ar.html

the artic bionix looks to be a mildy fancier version, looks nicer and goes to 2100rpm rather than 1800rpm

Soldato
Take the stock fans and shroud off, mount 2 90mm (or 120mm, 90mm fit better) fans to the heatsink :)

On my Vega64 I have 2 90mms and a 120mm SP fan. I can run them at 100% and it's still makes a fraction of the noise of the stock setup.

Associate
OP
I have that exact card and yes, it's extremely hot and loud by default. However, some tweaking does absolute wonders for it. Give these settings a try:

That's a profile which can be loaded in WattMan and will set everything. You'll want to hit the reset switch in WattMan first, then load the profile twice in a row. Loading it twice should bypass an annoying bug where setting a custom fan curve turns off zero RPM mode (just make sure it says Zero RPM: On). Keep in mind that it will drop your core clock from 1350MHz to 1300MHz, but it will also massively reduce the card's heat output and allow the (rather lacklustre) cooler to cope. 1300MHz is also being on the safe side - my card can do 1320MHz on the same voltage fully stable, so feel free to bump up the P7 clock incrementally to find out where you're stable. Or, if you like, put it back to 1350MHz (or higher) and bump up the P7 voltage by +10mV incrementally until you find stability. All of these settings can be instantly reverted by hitting the reset button in WattMan too - it's not making any permanent changes to your card, so tinkering is perfectly safe.

At any rate, with those settings the card is whisper quiet for me and never gets above 72 degrees even under extended stress testing. Sometimes WattMan will be annoying and seemingly revert to the default fan curve briefly when you start playing a game, but it will revert to the custom curve and quiet down again after a minute or so.

Do u keep the Zero RPM on! because i have always turned it off so the fans are always on?

Soldato
Do u keep the Zero RPM on! because i have always turned it off so the fans are always on?
Absolutely, it's one of my favourite features. I like my PC to be absolutely silent during day to say usage though, and the fans on this (and most cards I've had) are the noisiest component even at their minimum speed, since I run my case/CPU fans at ~500RPM on the desktop. However, if you're not really bothered about noise or can't hear them over your case fans anyway, by all means leave them enabled for slightly better idle temperatures. The only potential negative is more wear and tear on the fans by having them spinning constantly, but that's unlikely to be a concern in the realistic useful lifespan of a card.

Associate
OP
so far i used the settings you gave me and i haven't tweaked anything as yet as its seams to be perfect and ran a benchmark and no crashes and when i hit the ocean part on the game i mostly play which is Ark i went as high as 82c but today even over the water i reach 64c max, so far its great and i thank you for this massively :). and yeah makes sense on the zero rpm and less wear and tear on the fans is good because i like the cards to last long cos if i ever buy a new card i most times put my other in one of my kids comps instead of selling them.

Soldato
Glad to hear it's working out for you. :) It's nuts just how much of an improvement AMD cards see from a few tweaks in WattMan.

Associate

Hi could you reupload your tweeks for the rx 580, sorry for the repost =)

Back
Top Bottom