Can I get decent sun glasses for £50?

Soldato
I have polarised prescription sunglass lenses in a Nike frame and I love them. Now that I wear glasses on a more regular basis, I cannot see myself ever going back to not having prescription lenses in my sunglasses.

As for my regular computer glasses, I have blue light filter lenses in a super lightweight flexible frame and they're also fantastic.

Ive never thought to use blue light filtering glasses. In what way do you like them? Do they reduce eye strain?

beh

beh

Associate
If you don't need prescription lenses then perhaps just look on ebay for something second hand?

Would also recommend Trove, had mine for several years. The design works well. You don't need RFID blocking.

Caporegime
I think in the world of wearing sun glasses most would buy them for both reasons.

You are basically say that we should all drive around in an old banger that works instead of a brand new beemer (or words to that effect)
meh you just need glasses that suit you, they don't need to be top of the range.

it's not really banger vs bmw.
get some fake ones from amazon :p no one will likely tell the difference anyway.

Soldato
meh you just need glasses that suit you, they don't need to be top of the range.

it's not really banger vs bmw.
get some fake ones from amazon :p no one will likely tell the difference anyway.
Yea fair point, there are some great looking fakes out there. I'm not sure what the protection is like with them mind :D.

That really is the definition of style over quality :D

Caporegime
Hi,

I need some new sun glasses and have a budget of £50, I've had some Fossil sun glasses for ten years and they are a bit battered.

Are there brands to go with in this price range in terms of stand out brands for this kind of budget?

Oh I'm also after a modern slim minimalist wallet that'll hold four cards, I like The Ridge wallets but at £100 plus they are expensive I was thinking again max of £50

Recommendations appreciated!

Thanks

card holder. Holds 4 cards on the inside (RFID) and 1 on the outside (not shown in photo). Real leather, nice stitching, made in London.

wJWlaJu.jpg

EWfYPbN.jpg
https://www.a-slim.com/products/doku-tapngo-rfid-card-wallet

Associate
I got some really decent sun glasses in Walmart for 12 bucks no word of a lie. They were the best I had. I have some pairs of Oakley sunglasses that cost me a lot. Sometimes its not always about how much you spend. I really must go back sometime soon for another visit.

Soldato
Ive never thought to use blue light filtering glasses. In what way do you like them? Do they reduce eye strain?

I think that they do reduce eye strain. It also means that I don't have to make my screen quite so brown via software. Lastly, I find that they help me when I happen to be wearing them outside as they reduce some of the wavelengths from the sun.

Soldato
I got some really decent sun glasses in Walmart for 12 bucks no word of a lie. They were the best I had. I have some pairs of Oakley sunglasses that cost me a lot. Sometimes its not always about how much you spend. I really must go back sometime soon for another visit.

My wife bought some cheap sunglasses from Walmart and they work great. :)

Soldato
I got sick of cheap sunglasses losing lenses and scratching easily plus lack of clarity also trusting your eyesight to a cheapo pair i think your eyesight is worth it
only had a quick google but even with the ce marks (uv400 is a must) there are quality concerns at a low price point ,copy and paste,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This is worrying. These glasses have a CE mark yet neither eye of the lenses on these sunglasses block out the recommended minimum of UV.

Why there is the variation between the two eyes is hard to say - but probably means one side was dipped less thoroughly than the other.

These are for kids, who spend more time outside than adults and their pupils tend to be more dilated.

The tint on these means they would dilate further and allow more UV light in than normal. So in a way wearing these is worse than no glasses.

link to my Maui Lenses
Glare washes out colours, obscures details, and fatigues your eyes. PolarizedPlus2® lenses eliminate 99.9% of glare, allowing you to see the world at its brilliant best. Featuring the industry's most advanced production techniques, our patented processes create an amazing difference you'll see immediately.

Last edited:
Caporegime
These are cheap, what do you mean by careful with the coating?

@Raymond Lin that's a nice looking wallet, need a money clasp though really but I'll see what else they have

i fit a few notes on the outside by folding them. £5 just a single fold but £10/20 requires 2 fold. It’s a little fiddly but not a huge problem as a clasp would add bulk.

Soldato
OP
i fit a few notes on the outside by folding them. £5 just a single fold but £10/20 requires 2 fold. It’s a little fiddly but not a huge problem as a clasp would add bulk.

Got to say I'm pretty sold on the Trove looks perfect for me thanks for the recommendation though

Really interested in these Goodr sunglasses, seem crazy value being polarised for £25

Caporegime
I'm not gonna say how much my sunglasses cost!
But they are amazing. The frameso Lok great and I can swap out the lenses. No regrets! :D

Must be 10 year old.

Edit. Just looked. Looks like they are worth more than what I paid for them. Crazy.

Soldato
Can you get shady rays in the UK? I usually buy Raybans. But I bought some from Shady rays for $20 and they are great. Also they replace them for free if you lose, break them etc.

Soldato
If you up the budget to about 75 then you could get some basic Oakley Fives Squared or something like that.

I have a pair and i like them myself

Back
Top Bottom